Legalities of air-pistolry?

Surf Digby

• Paid Members

I may have mentioned before that my neighbour is a massive twat, We try and avoid him as much as we can because his behaviour ranges from paranoid freakouts, aggressive outbursts, to sexual inappropriateness, but we share an outdoor space so will occasionally be there when he is.

Tonight when I was out (which he would have known as he monitors our comings and goings), my girlfriend was putting the recycling out, and as she walked passed his door towards our, he fired an air pistol into the fence about 2 feet behind her, and then immediately slammed the door and sat in the dark. There was a similar "near miss" last year when he fired a ballbearing from a catapult just after I'd walked past.

She called the police, but they've told her that there's no offence committed. My brain says surely this can't be true. I get that we can't say that his intention was to endanger life, but he knew she was there, he knew I was out, and he's previously been told that he's not to fire the fire the air gun in the communal space.

Doe anyone have experience in this area to know what we can do about it?

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• Paid Members

Surely that’s threatening behaviour? The police seem uninterested in dealing with things that they feel won’t get them a result. I’m guessing their thinking is that its difficult to prove an offence. The problem is that this neighbour may escalate to more dangerous activity. I’d suggest keeping a record of this and similar incidents. Ensure the police are aware and are taking the issue seriously. Modern policing seems to want to ignore issues such as this until they can’t.

Around here they’ve basically said they can’t do anything about car CAT theft. This is despite CCTV footage of the crime. Which shows the scumbags tooled up with an iron bar and covering the residents front door. I wonder what they may have done if the resident had tried to protect their property.

Unfortunately. It looks like it’s up to you to make sure that the police take this matter seriously, and have at the very least, a word with the neighbour.

this link may help you on the legality query.

https://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-uk-laws-and-regulations-i101

• Paid Members

CCTV covering communal areas is a pain in the arse, as while we don't have to register as a data controller, we do have to have to create logs and have documents available on request that demonstrate necessity and intent, and all that bollocks. It's essentially why he had to disconnect his.

Is it air soft or air gun? as in pellet or plastic.

It sounded metal, but I actually think he's firing metal BBs.

My brother once shot his bully with an air gun from my bedroom window to the ice cream van a good 30 metres away. As incredibly stupid as it is to fire off an air gun at a fairly packed ice cream van or at another person in general you had to admire how good a shot it was. No police were involved, my mum had his gun taken apart and the lad just ran in our house and hit him with a metal bar whilst our mum was at work. Saying that, we all used to double layer our clothes and stand at opposite ends of a field and fire at each other so if our estate is any sort of barometer for air gun related crimes you need to either run in his house and hit him with a metal bar or put an extra pair of clothes on just in case.

• Paid Members

It's legal to own an air rife that used metal pellets below 12 flb and pistol below 6 flb and to discharge it on your own property as long as it's no risk to life or a protected species, to the best of my knowledge. 

I'm not sure on the limits on fire rate, but there are limits there for gas powered rifles if I remember right. 

If it's being discharged in communal space without permission of either the owner and / or all parties that definitely is a criminal offence and most likely a breach of the lease on the property too. 

I’m pretty sure to use an air rifle even firing plastic pellets at the general public is illicit. Even waving around a shit old GAK gun or toy gun is illicit and can be seen as a replica.

To think the absolute rings (and rightly so) you have to go through for a Shotgun license, but any pillock  can buy an air propelled weapon.

Edited by Butch2000

• Paid Members
On 6/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, Tommy! said:

If it's being discharged in communal space without permission of either the owner and / or all parties that definitely is a criminal offence and most likely a breach of the lease on the property too. 

I'm Googling but I can't find anything confirming this. The nearest I can get is how pellets must not go beyond the boundaries of the property.

I’m pretty sure to use an air rifle even firing plastic pellets at the general public is illicit. Even waving around a shit old GAK gun or toy gun is illicit and can be seen as a replica.

I know that technically we're not in a public place, but as it's shared space there are similar rulings about what we can and can't do (such as with the CCTV). From reading the Home Office guide and the Firearms Act, it seems that it's illegal to shoot at road users, and pets, but not pedestrians or people hanging their washing out.

Logically this means I should be able to go buy an air gun and (so long as it's somewhere unlikely to be lethal) shoot him in retaliation. I suspect this is not the case.

I don't even think we can claim common assault as he locked himself and hid immediately afterwards.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I'm Googling but I can't find anything confirming this. The nearest I can get is how pellets must not go beyond the boundaries of the property

My understanding, and it's getting on a few years now and was second hand to start with so things may have changed in truth, is in your example the boundary of "his property" in that definition is the part he has single and sole ownership and control of access to. While he has shared access to areas its not considered "his property" in the same was as a single house and garden is.

As I say, I may be wrong or out of date but that's what I'd understand from past experience. They likely wouldn't charge him but would / should confiscate any rifles and firearms he has. 

Edited by Tommy!

The best thing to do would be to ring the police saying someone has fired a gun at you, that should get the armed response team out who, after kicking his door in, will make him feel like a complete bellend. We had a similar incident when I was a kid, a lad firing his air rifle in to our garden from his bedroom window. Two Volvos with heavily armed police paid him a visit.

If he's using it correctly i.e firing it safely on his property then there's no legal issue although he clearly fucking isn't using it correctly.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

The best thing to do would be to ring the police saying someone has fired a gun at you, that should get the armed response team out who, after kicking his door in, will make him feel like a complete bellend. We had a similar incident when I was a kid, a lad firing his air rifle in to our garden from his bedroom window. Two Volvos with heavily armed police paid him a visit.

If he's using it correctly i.e firing it safely on his property then there's no legal issue although he clearly fucking isn't using it correctly.

If they know NN has called before to report him for an air pistol, wouldn't it land him in trouble with them for wasting police time if he did that, though?