Windham-Bray-The-Rotunda-Wyatt-Fiend - anyone miss him?

d-d-d-dAz

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I know some people liked the Firefly Funhouse gimmick, but there was never a clear explanation as to how that character translated into a wrestling match at the end. And it never satisfactorily did, so what was the point?

Because we wanted to see a wrestling kids TV presenter. I don't need a logical reason to know that if Dave Benson Phillips became a wrestler I'd watch it. 

• Paid Members

When he was being Robert DeNiro as Max Cady in Cape Fear he had a really interesting character, but then somebody (Vince) had to interfere and go more supernatural with it. 

I've said it before, and I'd likely say it again, but the pre-taped heavily edited style in Impact at the moment would be a perfect fit for him. Have him do something with Decay, or even docking around with Johnny Swinger. It'd be a great environment for his style of creativity. He's going to end up controlling his narrative, isn't he? 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

When he was being Robert DeNiro as Max Cady in Cape Fear he had a really interesting character, but then somebody (Vince) had to interfere and go more supernatural with it. 

I've said it before, and I'd likely say it again, but the pre-taped heavily edited style in Impact at the moment would be a perfect fit for him. Have him do something with Decay, or even docking around with Johnny Swinger. It'd be a great environment for his style of creativity. He's going to end up controlling his narrative, isn't he? 

I doubt it.

As much as we seem to all collectively dislike him, he was a big star (in the era of non-big stars). I think it's borderline unthinkable he'd turn up anywhere other than AEW or WWE, as I imagine they're the only ones who could afford him.

He doesn't strike me as someone so caught up in himself that he'd do it for nothing just to be involved.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think it's borderline unthinkable he'd turn up anywhere other than AEW or WWE, as I imagine they're the only ones who could afford him.

Unless he needs the money and goes wherever they’ll have him. Although I bet daddy’s got enough embezzled taxes to support him for a bit.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I don't remember who it was, I think it might have been SRS, but they reported that Bray was asking for a lot of money. Like, a surprisingly large amount of money. So, yeah, AEW or WWE. Unless he's blown all his money since.

Maybe he invested in Uncle Ted's social security fund. 

Bray peaked the night he pointed his finger at Sheamus like a gun as Reigns speared him. Much like every heel these days at one point the fans were clamouring to start properly cheering Bray. Hindsight booking is a easy thing but if they had put more effort into the cult leader shtick they could have had a nice little faction with a few brain washed lower carders, even stick Bo in their as the rat faced bully victim.

With the crowd getting more and more behind Bray he could have realised that he would have all the followers he wanted if he only embraced what the people wanted him to be, Harper as the right hand man acting as the perfect foil and resenting that Bray is even acknowledging the fans could lead into an angle where he supplants Bray as the leader of the family leading to a fiery southern baby face Bray returning to avenge himself. Yeah it is old hat as far as booking goes but it could have led to Bray actually doing something of worth. 

Bray is one of the ones that suffered the most from WWE having too much TV. None of his characters were going to succeed in the long term when having to appear every week. Whether it was the repetitive promos of the cult leader that never really went anywhere, or them having no real long term plan for The Fiend.. yeah, it was always stuff that would work pretty well in small doses but with no real end game it always ended up meandering into an over-exposed mess. I enjoyed some of his shorter and more focused feuds but there was just too much beyond that.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Bray is one of the ones that suffered the most from WWE having too much TV. None of his characters were going to succeed in the long term when having to appear every week.

That indicates weakness of the characters rather than too much tv, otherwise nobody would have gotten over since 1997, including Rock or John Cena.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Underfaker said:

Probably end up back as the real leader of Judgement Day.

That's pretty on-brand for their rubbish, reactionary booking these days. "Oh, we can get Bray back for cheaper than he was on? GREAT, turn Balor back immediately."

Does that sound any dafter than kicking Edge out so sooner after formation?