Tony Khan Buys ROH

WyattSheepMask

Paul Wight and ROH just don't sound like a match, he has zero history there and wasn't exactly the the style of wrestler they've had.. it just reinforces the idea that some have that the company is nothing but a rebranded Dark.

28 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Paul Wight and ROH just don't sound like a match, he has zero history there and wasn't exactly the the style of wrestler they've had.. it just reinforces the idea that some have that the company is nothing but a rebranded Dark.

It's WWE's version of ECW. 

• Paid Members

Forgot to mention that on this weeks show, they announced a Dark Order vs Dustin Rhodes & Von Erich six-man tag match at Death Before Dishonor where the winner goes on to face Undisputed Kingdom at Battle of the Belts for the ROH Trios Titles. That's right, the ROH Trios titles that got unified with the AEW Trios Titles a few months back. 

That might be the shortest unification in pro wrestling history and is another example of Tony Khan just not doing a good job of explaining things which can lead to the shows feeling muddled sometimes. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Yep, was gobsmacked when I saw that an "ROH Six Man tag titles eliminator" match had been booked. 

The only possible reasoning I can think of is that they really are going to make a go of keeping ROH separate and making it a real second brand. Appointing Paul Wight in an on-screen role does suport tha, as does the talk of them using this Texas residency to tape blocks of shows and put together some coherent stories, instead of largely filming short squashes at Dynamite tapings etc. There has also been word of the champions and championships featuring more frequently on the shows. 

One of the bigger issues with it now is that when there IS a n ongoing ROH-only story, we almost always have to watch it tread water for months on end because nothing can really happen until the next PPV. They can't all be Dalton vs Johnny TV, so I would love it if they had more short and simple feuds building to TV main events. They just did it with Diamante and Hirsch, they also did with the Athena/Nyla feud, and they were two of the highlights of the ROH on Honor Club run.

I know a lot of people just want ROH scrapped, but if they fence It off and use it as their NXT with the titles and champions mostly staying on the brand, *and* treat the weekly shows with a little bit of care, I would be into it as they have such a fun and diverse cast of performers on this roster. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

ROH 25/07/24 

Footage of The Kingdom jumping Mark Briscoe right after Blood and Guts to open the show. As I've said before, The Undisputed Kingdom is a bust, especially for Cole and Wardlow. I'm also not a big fan of The Kingdom. However, I do think the trio of Roddy + The Kingdom works very well. It's the little bit of extraq spice Roddy needs to supplement his always outstanding in-ring work. 

Kingdom promo to follow. They think they're getting the night off for Death before Dishonor, Paul Wight tells them they'll be defending against Conglomerators Big Tom and Kyle O'Reilly. 

Totally agree @Lorne Malvo that this setting makes Collision look a bit low-rent and TNA-esque in a bad way, but is absolutely perfect for ROH. 

Wheeler Yuta/Claudio Castagnoli vs Shane Taylor/Anthony Ogogo

I really enjoy the Yuta/Castagnoli BCC team, have missed it during Yuta's absence. Ogogo was decent in this match, I think he's alright in a tag setting where he can keep things simple and not be over-exposed. A ten minute singles match would be very ugly, but talking lots of shit and getting a few digs in as part of a tag team he's fine. Would still prefer the team to be Moriarty/Taylor with Ogogo interfering on the outside more often than not though. Fun tag match here, Yuta and Moriarty trying to out-wrassle each other ahead of their Pure Title match at the PPV, Ogogo and Claudio bringing the harder hitting offense. 

Lexy Nair "interviews" Aminata and Red Velvet. Lexy in full on biased Athena-loyalist mode cutting them off before they can speak and asking questions like "how do you sleep at night?" This was pretty funny, I liked Athena taking off the boot and confirming she isn't injured, I liked Starkz jumping Red Velvet and I liked Athena taking both opponents out with the boot. However, this was taped at a Dynamite taping in front of a crowd who didn't care. They cheered for Athena a bit, didn't react to Starkz at all and then cheered again when Athena confirmed she'd been faking her injury and took out the two babyfaces with a weapon. Bit of a shame as this was a good go home segment for both of the women's title matches on the PPV. 

Serpentico/Angelico vs Gates of Agony

It was fine. Toa didn't pounce Serpentico into space. Disappointing. 

EJ Nduka vs John Cruz

God damn Nduka has a monstrous physique and looks every bit of the billed 6"8. Did some googling, can see he was signed with WWE and let go, then had a pretty good run with MLW. Signed with AEW Summer 2023 but has only had four matches including this one, three of them against John Cruz! He can talk too: 

MXM vignette, they debut at Death before Dishonour!

Johnny TV and Shane Taylor vs Lio Rush and Atlantis Jr. 

If you paused after each entrance and asked someone to guess who was coming out next for this match, I don't think a single person on Earth would have guessed correctly. The reason for it is that all four are in a six-way survival of the fittest match for the TV title at the PPV, but the same thing could be said about that match. Sometimes Tony hits random select. Shane Taylor was on fire in this match, easily the star of the show. Playing the straight man for Johnny and Taya's comedy shenanigans, bullying Lio Rush, talking shit, winding the crowd up and delivering devastating offense. Outstanding performance. 

Abadon killed a jobber, looked good doing it. 

Iron Savages/Anthony Henry/Nick Comoroto vs Top Flight/Andretti/Komander/Fuego Del Sol 

Fuego Del Sol getting the big local guy reaction was nice. Comes across as a cool guy in his Youtube stuff and was clearly chuffed to be there. Jacked Jameson and Action Andretti pairing off to start the match. Jacked Jameson and Action Andretti pairing off to start, quite possibly my two least favourite AEW/ROH contracted wrestlers sharing a ring, what a moment. Entertaining enough sprint/clusterfuck, Fuego, Komander and Dante the highlights.

Von Erichs vs Dark Order

Roos Von Erich hasn't got any better, bloody hell he is useless at this. Hadn't occurred to me that a big downside of this Texas Residency would be this guy getting back on the shows. Eww

Not a bad show. Unsurprisingly, ROH does work much better in this setting in front of a small hardcore crowd, rather than four hours into a Dynamite/Rampage taping.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Previewing the PPV then: 

The Good: 

ROH World Title: Mark Briscoe vs Roderick Strong. Guaranteed belter. Looking forward to this one. 

ROH Women's title: Queen Aminata vs. Athena. This should be excellent too, huge fan of both and the build has been good.

ROH Women's TV Tittle: Red Velvet vs Billie Starkz. Won't be as good as Athena/Aminata, but again has had a good build and I'm a fan of both of them. This is a huge opportunity for Velvet to deliver as it's the most focus she's had in ages and she has a very willing and capable opponent. 

Texas Death Match: Diamante vs Legit Leyla Hirsch. Diamante is great at plunder matches and their Honor Club match was nuts. This will be a mad one. Looking forward to it but also concerned for Hirsch's safety. 

Komander vs The Beast Mortos. Yes! Been wanting to see this since they announced Taurus/Mortos' signing. Very excited for it. 

MXM Collection debuting on the Pre-show! 

The Meh: 

Survival of the fittest elimination match for the ROH TV Title: Atlantis Jr. vs. Brian Cage vs. Johnny TV vs. Lee Johnson vs. Lio Rush vs. Shane Taylor. This is borderline "Meh" I think it has the potential to over-deliver and it shouldn't be boring at least. 

ROH Pure Title: Wheeler Yuta vs Lee Moriarty. I'm sure it'll be solid but feels more like a TV match.

ROH Tag Titles: The Kingdom vs Kyle O'Reilly/Big Tom. See above. 

Top Flight vs The Outrunners on the pre-show. ROH on Honor Club filler match fodder. 

The Ugly:

ROH Six Man tag title eliminator match: Dark Order vs Dustin Rhodes and The Von Erichs. Ooooooof. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, JLM said:

Kingdom promo to follow. They think they're getting the night off for Death before Dishonor, Paul Wight tells them they'll be defending against Conglomerators Big Tom and Kyle O'Reilly. 

Anothber thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts about this weeks show - The Kingdom complaining they won't be able to hit the piledriver on Ishii because he doesn't have a neck was brilliant.

12 hours ago, JLM said:

I know a lot of people just want ROH scrapped, but if they fence It off and use it as their NXT with the titles and champions mostly staying on the brand, *and* treat the weekly shows with a little bit of care, I would be into it as they have such a fun and diverse cast of performers on this roster. 

• Paid Members

Death Before Dishonour was fine. Nothing on there must-see but it was decent enough.

Briscoe vs Strong was good but didn't hit the heights I expected. It felt like they were holding back a little so wouldn't be surprised if that was the first match in a series between them.

Athena vs Aminata was a cracker and Diamante vs Leyla Hirsh was probably my match of the night. The AEW/ROH women absolutely love a plunder match don't they? They always deliver!

Was happy to see Red Velvet win the title. Thought the match was just okay - Billie Starkz heel character doesn't do much for me. 

Survival of the Fittest was a mess. Johnny TV has always been an infuriatingly hit-and-miss wrestler and this was an off night for him, but to be fair all 6 of them looked a little off the pace.

Would love to see Kyle O'Reilly's win/loss record since his return, feels like all he does is beat jobbers then lose to actual competition.

I was very surprised with Moriarty beating Yuta. Enjoyed the match and hope Yuta gets something of substance to do going forwards. This reminded me how much I've wanted to see a Wheeler/Moriarty/Garcia 3-way match since they all broke into AEW at roughly the same time.

Interested to see what happens going forwards. It feels inevitable that it would always end up becoming AEW: Ring Of Honor, but whether that means it will be treated as a seperate distinct brand or they will double down on making it a Dark clone remains to be seen.

• Paid Members

ROH was literally going out of business. If to get them a TV deal they have to rebrand it to AEW: Ring of Honour I wouldn’t be upset about it. Though I would like it to be their NXT brand, let someone else run it.

38 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

ROH was literally going out of business. If to get them a TV deal they have to rebrand it to AEW: Ring of Honour I wouldn’t be upset about it. Though I would like it to be their NXT brand, let someone else run it.

I don't think many would have a particular problem with that. It's that the exact point could be lifted from anytime in the last 2 years. Doesn't leave much room for hope when it comes to change. 

Once this run in Arlington comes to an end with standalone tapings. It's more likely back in the Dark box post-Collision with lip service paid until Final Battle.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

ROH Death Before Dishonor

Pre-Show. 

In true ROH show fashion. SKIPPED: The Infantry vs Griff Garrison and Anthony Henry. Bloody hell, I struggle to think of many less appealing matches than this. Noooo thank you. The Outrunners vs Top Fligh. I enjoy The Outrunners but I have too much wrestling to catch up on. Top Flight's theme song almost triggers the same change the channel impulse that the Coronation Street theme did when I was a kid. I have never watched a single minute of Coronation Street. 

Serpentico/Angelico vs MXM Collection

I instinctively went to fast forward when I saw Serpentico/Angelico come out, such is the stink they have on them from that never ending Garrison/Carter feud. Then I remembered this was the MXM debut and stuck with it. MXM were outstanding. I already knew they were full of charisma and naturally funny, but I was impressed by how polished they are as a tag team too. I love a big man/little man team and they work that classic formula very effectively. Mansoor puts in most of the work and bumps like a champ, then Madden is the giant powerhouse off the hot tag. Loads of great double team moves and sequences, including the brilliantly named Hugo Boss Rush. Madden busting out Summer Rae's Summer Crush finishing move and giving her a shout out was a deep cut I must say. The act is so fully realised, finding opportunities to pose at all times, and great little touches like Mansoor desperately reaching out a single finger for the tag when he's in trouble because  they tag by touching a single fingertip.  These guys rule, top debut,. Talk about spinning shit into gold with this gimmick. 

Marina Shafir vs Angelica Risk

Shafir's squashes are so ugly and violent and I love them. They play out like the opponent has turned up to do a pro wrestling match and Marina thinks it's a real fight. Finish was very cool, Marina catching a cross body, spinning Risk as if she was going for a Black Hole slam but stopping half way straight into Mother's Milk. 

Main Show

The Beast Mortos vs Komander

I fucking love Mortos. He is just phenomenal. This was something of a dream match for me when he signed and it did not disappoint. Komander can struggle for consistency and needs the opponent to rein him in and make a match out of the mad stuff he can do. He's improved on this front and I'd say he's a bit better at it than Vikingo at this point, but still, it's an issue. Much like Vikingo, this makes Mortos the PERFECT opponent for him. Mortos can salvage almost any botch, he allows high flyers to do even more ambitious stuff than normal, he gives the match the monster heel vs little guy story and structure *and* he can do all manner of spectacular shit himself. Catching Komander perfectly out of a Tope Con hilo and then powerbombing him straight into Alex Abrahantes? Unreal. I am such a huge fan of his work, and it's no surprise he got one of the best performances I've seen from Komander here. 

It did still suffer from a bit of giant move excess towards the end on Komander's side, but other than that this was an absolute belter and you could not ask for a better opener. 

ROH Tag Titles: The Kingdom vs The Conglomeration 

Ishii was incredibly over to this sicko-heavy crowd and it made for tremendous heat for the duration. This helped the match to over deliver a bit because I never for a second bought O'Reilly/Ishii winning it. They worked hard, Ishii and O'Reilly were both on fire for it, but suffered from the 100% predictable outcome and being five minutes too long. Could have stopped this one a hot tag or two earlier and it would have been better for it. Still more fun than expected overall though.  

Texas Death Match: Leyla Hirsch vs Diamante 

Was very much looking forward to this one and boy did they deliver. Hirsch coming out with chairs and sitting at the top of the ramp to wait for Diamante was a very cool idea, don't recall seeing that before. They definitely managed to top the Honor Club match, this was utterly insane. Diamante is in her element in these matches, looks like she's having the time of her life out there. This was heated, bloody, creative, outrageously violent and had some truly spectacular high spots. Some of the thumbtack stuff made me wince, the Samoan drop from the apron to the floor through all the debris was crazy as well. Diamante is mad to keep agreeing to take these Hirsch mooonsaults too, it's all knees every time. Bloody hell. Anyway, yeah, another belter from these two to round of an excellent little feud. 

ROH Pure Title: Wheeler Yuta vs Lee Moriarty

Yuta with very fancy new gear for this one, it looked great. The thing with people doing sneaky punches in these pure title matches when the ref's back is turned, is that the match has a panel of judges as well. When Yuta used his last break and Moriarty had one left, Caprice said the judges would give it to Moriarty if it went the distance, but wouldn't the judges mark him down because they'd seen him commit a DQ-able offense? Or do they strike that from the record if the ref doesn't see it? I suppose it doesn't matter. This used the Pure format effectively, these two are exceptionally well matched and it built nicely as it went on. 20 minutes was a too long given the limited build and middling heat though. I hope Yuta being rid of this title lets him move on to bigger and better things. 

ROH Women's TV Title: Red Velvet vs Billie Starkz

You can tell it's a hardcore sicko crowd when you hear a "Stir it up" chant. Praise be to the chef. Some awkward moments in this but it mostly worked for me. They built the heat well enough, the crowd was firmly behind Velvet by the end and I liked the play on the Starkz/Aminata finish. I like it when a babyface refuses to be mugged off and outsmarts the heel. Very happy with the result here. For the longest time it's felt like Starkz and Athena have existed in a separate division from every other woman in ROH and this result felt significant because of that. Although this title isn't massively valuable this is still a big step up for Velvet and she has certainly earned it. I hope she has a good run with it, but even more importantly I could actually buy some of the other women on the ROH undercard squad beating her for it, which makes things a lot more interesting.

Dustin Rhodes/Von Erichs vs Dark Order

Skimmed through this one. Von Erichs in Texas so obviously good heat, and Dark Order were suitably dastardly, I just have a lot of wrestling to catch up on and I don't care to watch the Von Erich kids. I'll watch the Battle of the Belts match as a compromise. 

ROH TV Title: Atlantis Jr vs Brian Cage vs Lio Rush vs Shane Taylor vs Johnny TV vs Lee Johnson 

This lacked a lot of the fun things AEW multi-man matches usually have. It didn't seem to be laid out with any care at all and was just a series of OK-ish singles exchanges with everyone else invisible on the outside for no particular reason. The first half was OK for a bit. The sequence of big dives to the outside, Lio Rush had some decent moments. Good showcase spot for Shane Taylor, but it all went south when first Taylor and then Lio Rush were eliminated back to back. By far the two best things about the match both removed in short order, both falls met with boos from the crowd. The ref also accidentally counted 3 on a two count, which drew further boos from the people. I haven't seen any of Atlantis' work in CMLL but he has had nothing about him at all on this AEW run. Very very dull. Not as dull as Lee Johnson, mind. Yeah this wasn't great. 

ROH Women's Title: Queen Aminata vs Athena

Now we're talking. It's been a long old wait for this one but, thankfully, it delivered big time and was my match of the night. They're the two best wrestlers in the division, but the magic here is that they're also so well matched against each other. Both very willing to get stuck in and have a proper slobberknocker of a match. It was as intense and hard-hitting as expected; huge strikes and huge offense from both sides, definitely a 50/50 match for almost the entire thing, Aminata portrayed as every bit Athena's equal. They also had some brilliant counters and unexpected twists and turns in the final third, and I loved the exchange of submission holds towards the end in particular. Aminata has impressed me every time I've seen her but this was her best showing to date. One of Athena's best defenses on this forever title run too. Already looking forward to the rematch, this was excellent. 

ROH World Title: Mark Briscoe vs Roderick Strong

This was very good, obviously. Roddy has been impeccable in-ring for this whole AEW/ROH run, elevating most of his opponents and delivering nothing but good or great matches. Briscoe is one of the most authentic and sympathetic babyfaces in wrestling. The only issue I had is that I was too confident Briscoe would win, so a lot of the potential drama was lost. That said, Briscoe sure did his best to restore it. Incredible blade job for this one, amplifying his already amazing facial expressions and making it impossible not to get invested. It wasn't a match of the year contender, just a high quality 20 minute main event between two excellent veterans. The clear highlight of the match was Roddy hitting the Jay Driller and Briscoe kicking out at 1. The kick out at 1 has been over used a bit in recent times to inject drama into a match, but it's hard to think of a more appropriate way to use it than that. 

Good show, not a great show. Too many run-in/shenanigans finishes in the title matches for my taste, and a recurring theme of predictable outcomes making some very good matches less exciting than they could have been. I didn't buy Athena or Briscoe losing, for example, and that's your double main event. That said, the Moriarty win was unexpected and I was genuinely chuffed to see Velvet get her win. Aminata/Athena, Hirsch/Diamante and Mortos/Komander were my highlights and the main event was good stuff. Also very much enjoyed the MXM debut on the pre-show. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

ROH 01/08/24

SKIPPED: Premier Athletes vs Jobbers, Robyn Renegade vs Jobber, Brian Cage vs Rocky Romero

Paul Wight doing the PPV recap voice over was neat. 

ROH Six Man Tag Titles: Dustin Rhodes/The Von Erichs vs Iron Savages/Shouting Dickhead 

Is this a test? Are they testing me? I watched the Von Erichs match at BOTB and even said it was good, now they give me this? You know what, it was fine. The Texas crowd add a lot to the Dustin/Von Erich matches. Ross' involvement is kept to a minimum so he can't mess up too badly, they let Dustin take a whupping and then Marshall has a decent hot tag in him. Good reaction for the scoop slam on Boulder as well. One scary moment where Marshall/Jameson were caught somewhere between a back body drop and a flapjack and Jameson nearly landed on his head. Other than that no major botches and a perfectly acceptable first defense. 

Short and simple Mark Briscoe promo with the legendary Baby Jay Briscoe. Puts over Roddy, shouts out the Conglomeration. And still your ROH champion. 

Top Flight vs Jobbers

I skipped the match, but this was notable for Top Flight being accompanied by "Flight Attendant" Leila Grey. I'll take any attempt to update the presentation of Top Flight and Grey isn't doing anything else. Why not eh. She looked good in the outfit. The Infantry promo w/Trish Adora after this, notable because Trish Adora actually said something in it. They're mad at Top Flight for some reason and they're pissed that they "got" Leila Grey. It is not a six person mixed tag I want to see, but one I expect will be coming. 

Anthony Henry Promo! I didn't know he could speak to be honest. He is asked where JD Drake is, but BEEF turns up, claims to be not only Henry's cousin, but his SECOND cousin, and pledges to support him in his match tonight. I'm not entirely sure what just happened. 

The Beast Mortos vs AR Fox

Being treated to so much Mortos lately. Can he make an AR Fox match interesting? It was a big test but I think he pulled it off. Not up there with the crackers he's had against Komander and Hologram lately, but still another great showcase for him against another flippy opponent. Fox's best moment was when Mortos set him on a chair and ran round the ring like Braun Strowman. Fox recovered, dashed into the ring and hit a suicide dive timed perfectly to meet Mortos as he reached the opposite side. Very cool. Although I was sure Mortos was winning, this was still a cut above the usual Name vs Jobber ROH on Honor Club formula, which is appreciated. Give me Mortos vs Jack Cartwheel soon please. I need it. 

MXM Promo, Mansoor acknowledges he still can still feel the scars Dax Harwoods chops left on his breasts.

Wheeler Yuta vs Anthony Henry

This was a little belter of a match. Well matched technically as you'd expect, but they also decided to work it extreeemely snug. Beat the piss out of each other and did some nasty/innovative stuff with the exposed turnbuckles. Yuta was funny at ringside after the match, first doing a massive wind up high five for a little lad with a sign asking for high fives, then when he saw another kid booing him he stopped to ask her dad why she doesn't like him. Oh and BEEF in the front row for this. He didn't factor into the match too much in the end though. 

Lee Moriarty pre-tape promo. He sounded great! All fired up and full of confidence after his title win. 

ANOTHER Anthony Henry Promo! Making up for lost time here. He's disappointed he lost to Yuta. BEEF turns up again and tries to motivate him. He also tells us that he is the man and shows us his BEEF tattoo on his belly. OK. 

Jacoby Watts w/Nick Comoroto vs Fuego Del Sol 

I do enjoy a Watts promo and I'm glad the Watts/Comoroto pairing is back on screen. Very short match, was surprised to see Fuego win it! 

Athena/Minions pre-tape. Athena fawning over Lexi and shunning Billie after Death Before Dishonour. Starting to sow the seeds for Billie/Athena 2 it seems.

Kingdom Promo, closing in on 1 year as ROH tag champs. The Infantry turn up and say they want a shot. The Kingdom agree.

Dustin Rhodes in-ring promo! As @Lorne Malvo says, it's almost unheard of to end one of these episodes with an angle. Dustin is chuffed to have a title, his "one last ride" has been going on for five years but he still wants more. Evil Uno interrupts, says Dustin stole Dark Order's trios title opportunity and they're going to take his One Last Ride in return. Uno sounded great here, all fired up and full of conviction. Reynolds and Silver jump Dustin and they're about to take him out with a chair, then suddenly Sammy Guevara outta nowhere for the save! Now that was truly unexpected. Makes the save, shakes hands with Dustin to go off the air. 

Sooo not an amazing episode but a lot of encouraging things. Still too many squashes for my tastes, but also more matches between named guys to supplement them, and a more concerted effort to give the existing ROH people some sort of direction. Anthony Henry getting a promo and a story, Fuego Del Sol putting a couple of wins together and presumably incurring the wrath of Watts and Comoroto, the six man titles defended on the show, an ROH tag title match set up for a future episode etc.

It's not all stuff I'm dying to see or anything, but it is ROH people interacting with one another to create ROH feuds/stories and fighting over the ROH titles. Episode back up to a longer run time with more fat on it than I'd like, but still some steps in the right direction here. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Another solid if unspectacular show this week. They seem to be treating it more as an actual wrestling TV show as opposed to just a random collection of matches which just makes everything a little more worthwhile.

Fucking hilarious that they're still persisting with this Serpentico/Angelico vs Maria's lads feud though. It genuinely feels like this has been going on for years!

Edited by Lorne Malvo