UFC Vegas: Lewis vs Daukaus - Dec 18 πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ πŸŽ„

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I fucking love me some black beast, derick Lewis is genuinely one of my favorite fighters in the ufc, everything about him is so much fun and exciting. I said he would be looking to come into this fight with something to prove after his last one and he certainly did that. He played it very smart, took his time and knew he just needed to be calm and collected and his absolute sledgehammer fists would hit the target eventually. Fantastic first round knockout for him and I'm quite excited too see what is in store for him in 2022.

Rest of the card was actually really enjoyable and fun. I'm just finishing watching the last fight on the prelims as it didn't record on my sky box last night because one of the kids moved my Playstation and it knocked the viewing card out the bloody boxΒ 

• Paid Members

Fun show to end the year on. And mostly feel-good results.

image.gif.84e54bb0eb13dc9b37e345fc6db4a448.gif

Made up for Derrick Lewis. Nothing against Daukaus, I’ve grown to quite like him and his brother, but The Beast needed this coming off the loss to Gane. He needed a strong performance and preferably a finish. And he got it in the first round against a tough guy who was dangerous and confident coming off a winning streak himself. Not sure what’s next though. At this point he’s pretty much fought everyone already.

The Belal Muhammad vs Wonderboy fight wasn’t massively entertaining but wasn’t bad. I’ve seen a bunch of moaning about Belal’s performance but balls to it. Seeing people talk as if he’s a boring fighter but it’s shite. He’s had enjoyable fights. It’s just that recently he’s been in with Demian Maia and Wonderboy back-to-back. Who looks amazing or has barnburners with those two? They’re probably the two most awkward and hard to look good against fighters in the whole division. He beat both and this was one way traffic and dominant. I was surprised, to be honest. Just thought Thompson would prove too much for him. Don’t know if it’s a case of people underestimating Belal or maybe the years and all the fights finally catching up to Wonderboy or what. Regardless, this was a huge win for Belal. Unfortunately for him though, like the Maia win, it wasn’t the kind of fight that’ll have people clamouring to see him in big fights. He’s got to get something significant next though. Consecutive wins over Maia and Wonderboy have to get you somethingΒ a bit juicy. Just not sure what. I get why he’s calling out Leon Edwards, that’d make sense for him. But I still think it should be Usman vs Edwards 2 next. Some combination of Belal, Burns, Khamzat and Magny fighting each other would do.

Lemos vs Hill was a really fun scrap. Kind of lost track of the scoring but kind of expected Hill to get her hand raised at the end. But you know, it’s Angela Hill and a split decision. Her track record isn’t good when it comes to split decisions. And right enough, Lemos got the nod. Most of the reaction I’ve seen, seems most thought Hill won. The media had it for Hill as well.

381-ABCB8-70-B1-4706-918-A-26-FA4604-F30

Like I say, I lost track of the scoring so I’m not gonna moan about it. But Hill has no luck with these decisions. Thought she beat Gadelha and Waterson last year, now this fight. People will say β€˜don’t leave it in the hands or the judges’ but it’s a lot easier said than done and in her case it’s not for lack of trying. Good fight though and I’m sure that $50K FOTN bonus will sweeten the pill a bit for Hill as well.Β 

Ricky Simon walloping Raphael Assuncao was about right for 2021. Feel bad for Assuncao. He’s had a shitter of a year, COVID, car crashes and all sorts. It’s hard to see him bouncing back from this really at 39 and after so many years fighting at a high level. Liked Simon’s callout of Sean O’Malley. Wouldn’t mind seeing that. Simon was one of the guys who threw his name in the hat to step in against O’Malley a few months ago as well, but was passed over in favour of newcomer Kris Moutinho. So there’s actually a bit of history there as well.Β 

The Gamrot vs Ferreira ending was weird and a bit disappointing. Wasn’t as good as I hoped but Gamrot looked a handful again and its onwards and upwards for him going into the new year. Don’t know what happened with Ferreira, looked like maybe a broken rib from the knee. Interested to see who Gamrot gets matched up with next. There’s no shortage of mouth watering fights at 155 for him. Him and Arman Tsarukyan would be incredible, or Gregor Gillespie, Mason Jones, fuck it I could list half the division here. The McGregor callout was amusing but absolutely pointless though.Β 

Cub Swanson blasting through Darren Elkins was a hell of a way to kick off the main card.Β 

image.gif.6c9c6406e36fb5e865f6e2a8c3555b5f.gif

As soon as I saw he’d shaved his head again I had a good feeling. Seriously, stopping a hard bastard like Elkins in 2 minutes shows Cub’s still got something left in the tank. He’s 38 now and he’s been in the wars. Not saying he should be in the mix with the top boys at 145, but he looks like he’s got a few fun fights left in him. Could see him in with a Emmett, Ige, Burgos or Quarantillo next. Any of them would be bags of fun. Swanson vs Barboza sounds like a nailed on FOTN as well. And these are all just off the top of my head.Β 

MMA Forum favourite Gerald Meerschaert did it again!

F700-E3-ED-B34-D-4-EF0-83-CA-0-F543-F0-B

Christ though. He rarely makes easy work of it does he? Had him 2 rounds down going into the third but he pulled it off. Similar to his last fight with Muradov, he’s got a knack for pulling a win from the jaws of defeat. And this was on his birthday as well. What a year he’s had. He came into 2021 off that disastrous loss to Khamzat Chimaev. Yet this year he’s managed to go 3-0 with 3 submissions, derailed a legit prospect in Muradov, became a Dad, got a new UFC contract and won a fight on his birthday! Great to see.Β 

Justin Tafa wasn’t fucking about was he?

image.gif.ba83ae04320d878e2eb13e42d237e219.gif

Probably saved his spot on the roster that. It’s usually a good thing if you make history in the UFC but when you’re the first man to miss weight for a Heavyweight fight, you need to be winning and looking spectacular in that fight. Glad he’ll be sticking around to be honest. He’ll never amount to much but, win or lose, he’s usually good for a slobberknocker.Β 

Was chuffed to see Melissa Gatto put Sijara Eubanks away. Just can’t be doing with Eubanks and Gatto might have some potential. Sweet front kick to the body just folded Eubanks up. Won’t be surprised if Eubanks gets the sack now, to be honest. She’s now 7-7 and has lost 3 of her last 4 and missed weight again for this one.Β 

Enjoyed Jourdain vs Ewell. Jourdain’s a guy who seemed to come in with all the potential in the world but it just hasn’t taken off for him like I think many hoped or expected. This was fun though.Β 

image.gif.e7967d08a7e169cca7c19b6d9563954b.gif

He put a right beating on Ewell in that last round and really cemented the win. He had a fantastic fight with Marcelo Rojo earlier in the year as well, which he also won. But then there was the loss to Erosa in between. And that’s been the story with Jourdain in the UFC so far. He just can’t seem to string the wins together for whatever reason. He’s still only young, he’s just turned 26, but he’s gonna have to find some consistency soon or he’ll just fall back and get left behind in a division like Featherweight. There’s been flashes of real promise there. Maybe things will click for him in 2022.Β 

Nice win for Raquel Pennington over Macy Chiasson as well. One of her better showings in a long time and she got the finish. Although Chiasson was taking it on short notice and missed weight coming in, almost certainly wasn’t at her best. But that’s the risk you run jumping in on short notice. Fans talk about it like it’s so simple and fighters should always say yes to these fights but it doesn’t always pan out.Β 

Wasn’t paying much attention during the Don’Tale Mayes vs Josh Parisian fight but caught the finish. And…this…

image.gif.c14acd66dd9ebaa058d2f4529f6920db.gif

This is the type of shit that always happens when someone who doesn’t watch MMA is around and I try to tell them that grappling is actually a highly skilled part of the sport, at its best very exciting to watch and that’s there’s nothing sexual about it. They’re never around when it’s Moreno vs Royval doing a horizontal version of Gatti vs Ward. No. Always when this stuff happens.Β 

Didn’t catch all of the fight but saw the finish and it was cool to see Jordan Leavitt back in the win column. And by bloody inverted triangle choke for good measure!

A342-C588-F087-4334-B30-B-368-B5-D680-D8

Tough loss for Sayles. That’s back-to-back fights now he’s been on the wrong end of rare highlight reel submissions. First the twister from Bryce Mitchell, now this.Β 

But yeah, cracking show, I thought. Nice mix of finishes and seeing Lewis, Swanson and Meerschaert get wins inside the distance was a very satisfying way to close out 2021.Β 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

"if they can change the rule, make it 3 rounds, hit me up, if not don't call my phone, fuck all that"

Black Beast calling for 3 round title fights πŸ˜„Β 

Great performance from Belal too. Completely shut Wonderboy down. Take that NC with Leon Edwards out of the pic and Belal's on a 6 fight win streak himself. Given the state of 170lb he's right in the mix. That probably ends any chance of Wonderboy getting a crack.

Β 

• Paid Members

yeah you could.

Edwards record is a strange one, the win streak is massively impressive, but he only has 1 win over a current top 15 UFC Welterweight which is a pretty wild stat (Belal also has 1), you still have to put him above Belal though in the pecking order.

That said, if they are going with Covington/Masvidal and Usman is gonna sit out, id be happy to see a Edwards/Muhammad rematch over 5 to cement a no.1 contender. There's unfinished business there too.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Lovely bit on commentary. β€œSomeone is chanting USA at Belal Muhammad, not realising he is also from Chicago. You idiot”

If you don't carry the stars & bars to the cage then you ain't American, brah. Dude was haulin' one of those foreign flags, so fuck 'im.

30 minutes ago, David said:

If you don't carry the stars & bars to the cage then you ain't American, brah. Dude was haulin' one of those foreign flags, so fuck 'im.

Just bein’ a patriot bro. If you don’t like it, go back to Afghan with Belal.Β