Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Seeing a ton of positivity about UFC 280 and rightly so. But Christ. 279’s looking weak as piss.

E0-E5368-E-18-E3-4-A90-991-E-9-EDB56-C7-

When you consider the main event is likely gonna be a total squash, there’s really not much to get excited about here, is there? I mean, Walker vs Cutelaba will no doubt be bananas and you’ve got some positives in Chris Barnett, Jailton Almeida, Norma Dumont’s bum cheeks etc. But this is really just an Apex Fight Night with a bigger main event. There’ll probably be a couple of fights added yet but with the show just weeks away now, it’ll probably just be more Fight Pass level stuff. I was kind of hoping they might whack that rumoured Poirier vs Chandler fight on as co-main, that would’ve worked, but it seems that’s being lined up for MSG in November. 

• Paid Members

You say that like we’re all rooting for him 🤣 Can’t speak for anyone else but I’d be absolutely made up if Yahya scored his first knockout here. At 40 odd fights into his career and pushing 40 years old. Would be fucking hilarious.

That fight is happening on the October 1st card apparently. It was originally scheduled for July 9th like the tweet says but got cancelled.

I really hope Yahya wins. One, because fuck Garbrandt. Two, this is the UFC clearly trying to get Cody No Chin back in the win column by giving him someone who’s never shown big punching power. I’d love to see it blow up in their face, and Cody’s. And three, Yahya seems cool and it’d be nice to see him pick up a name win like this. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Can you believe that Garbrant vs Cruz was over 5 years ago? Since then hes gone 1-5. That Cruz win was a star making performance, despite him clearly being a cock. I wonder how different his career would have been if TJ was busted for the PEDs before their two fights. It really does look like those TJ fights took a part of his soul, as hes never been the same as that Cruz fight ever again. Maybe he bought into his own hype after the title win (wouldnt put it past him).

• Paid Members

The Cruz fight is probably the best example of any in MMA of a fight where a guy put it all together for one perfect night, and never got as close again, Garbrandt fought above himself that night. That said, as much as people dislike the guy he's never in anything close to resembling a poor fight. His vunerability, and his willingness to fight the way he does despite that weakness is some ballsy shit, and he's must see everytime he fights.

• Paid Members

Tougher fight for the Meatball than her last couple.

She’s nearly a decade younger than Molly, 9-1 MMA record, BJJ black-belt, a really good grappler from what I’ve seen. Her striking isn’t the best but if she can make it a ground fight I think Molly’s gonna have a rough night. It’s not in London either and Molly’s newfound ‘Bionic Spinning Scouse Elbow’ only seems to work in London. 

Blanchfield by sub. 

8 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

That's a good fight. I can't see Jared climbing the rankings again to get a title fight  anytime soon, a win for him does nothing for the division.

Despite getting starched in his last fight, I think 2 wins for Strickland puts him in a title fight. I just can't see him beating the people ahead of him in the rankings.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if Adesanya beats Pereira in November, 185 is looking really thin on interesting contenders because Izzy will have beat pretty much everyone, some twice. It’s at the point where, as much as they shouldn’t be close to title shots, I think it’d only take a couple of wins for a Strickland, Rockhold or Till to get a title shot just because they’d be fresh challengers. Problem is, like you say, I don’t think they beat the guys ranked above them to get in that position. Someone who’s already lost to Izzy like Whittaker, Vettori, Costa or Brunson likely takes them out of the mix. It’s a weird time at 185. Adesanya’s beating everyone but lately it’s been in a fashion where you don’t even wanna see rematches. I’m actually hoping Pereira dethrones him. The division needs shaking up and it would open up some other possibilities. Most likely they’d go straight into a rematch with Adesanya which would give the rest of the division a bit of time to create a new challenger or two. Or guys who are 0-2 and 0-1 down to Izzy are back in the game with a different champion and Pereira against any of them is a fresh fight.