Daniel Bryan Danielson

tiger_rick

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Something comes to mind: is it also possible he could be making sure to update fans who don't know about AEW and maintaining the WWE-level profile, by telling them "Hey - I've not retired, I've just changed my name and am now working here"? Basically, minimising the impact of the required name-change?

Oh it certainly can't hurt in that aspect. It's crazy how many WWE fans actually think people retire or stop wrestling for years until they come back to Vince's world. I'm not quite sure how you manage to avoid these other companies but it does seem to happen.

He's just a lovely, genuine chap and a phenomenal wrestler. To go from Vince initially hating him 'because he doesn't even eat meat' to being allowed be the eco WWE Champion with a world title belt made from organic hemp is some achievement.

I met him at a WWE autograph signing years ago before he got the initial main event run and got him to sign my wrestling road diaries DVD instead of whatever WWE PPV DVD they were insisting you got signed/bought. He laughed when I pulled the switcheroo, read the back of the road diaries box and chatted away for a good minute or two about the fun they had making it. Just a good lad!

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, DCW said:

He's just a lovely, genuine chap and a phenomenal wrestler. To go from Vince initially hating him 'because he doesn't even eat meat' to being allowed be the eco WWE Champion with a world title belt made from organic hemp is some achievement.

I met him at a WWE autograph signing years ago before he got the initial main event run and got him to sign my wrestling road diaries DVD instead of whatever WWE PPV DVD they were insisting you got signed/bought. He laughed when I pulled the switcheroo, read the back of the road diaries box and chatted away for a good minute or two about the fun they had making it. Just a good lad!

This is the first time I've heard/read about this - did not know this had happened! Had to google it - what a gorgeous belt, and you're right: what an achievement.

4 hours ago, kieranjennings said:

He had to retire for a while though due to concussion based issues. That may not make him the best face/spokesman when you consider things like the Benoit situation or other campaigners regarding CTE. Personality wise he'd be grand but you either have to say a) he got those injuries wrestling and had to retire or b) those concerns were ignored enough that he's now back wrestling. 

Isn't that exactly why he'd improve WWE's image if they used him as a spokesperson (as well as a wrestler) though? 

Somebody who is genuinely likeable explaining that he wasn't allowed to wrestle until he was medically cleared. Even if he said he wanted to but Vince told him not until the quack says yes, would make Vince and the WWE as a whole look better because they're putting the health of one of the nicest people in the business before their own gain by having one of the most popular wrestlers in history back in the ring before he's ready. It shows WWE in a good light, especially if presented right on screen.

And I thought he was back wrestling now because he had been cleared to do so. I haven't watched WWE since before e retired but I was under the impression that he had been cleared and therefore was able to return to the ring.

I think he’ll be the last ever in WWE that they are forced to change the belt to/give that big moment due to his popularity. He was getting those natural reactions the way an Austin naturally got over back in the day. You just don’t really hear noise like it in WWE anymore.

To be honest, I don’t think it’s wrong to say how he was misused. He achieved so much but yet he’s probably the reason crowds in WWE are so shite now. He was the catalyst for WWE no longer following what the fans wanted in terms of deciding the big star and even though he got his moment at Mania, the entire debacle was ridiculous. CM Punk is probably the only reason he got that moment ironically as I don’t think it would have been in the pipeline if he hadn’t walked.

A absolute top star who despite getting plenty of opportunity deserved a hell of a lot more.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Pure and utter class from the single best babyface in wrestling since prime Sting. I'm glad Danielson is getting this big a shot away from the WWE bubble and the match tomorrow night should be an absolute barnburner

He is a fantastic babyface, but I can't wait until he has a run as a heel, because he's an amazing heel as well. 

The chicken shit heel run he had when he cashed in MITB on big Mizark was great. I fully expected him to be the first lad to cash in and lose the briefcase too (think Barrett or Sandow hold that honour.) Though Bryan probably wouldn't get away with constantly telling AJ Lee to shut up in this day and age!

Edited by DCW

On 9/27/2021 at 1:31 AM, DCW said:

The chicken shit heel run he had when he cashed in MITB on big Mizark was great. I fully expected him to be the first lad to cash in and lose the briefcase too (think Barrett or Sandow hold that honour.) Though Bryan probably wouldn't get away with constantly telling AJ Lee to shut up in this day and age!

Cena was the first to cash in and fail (he won by DQ) to win the championship.

Sandow was the first to cash in and lose.