Unnecessarily stiff acts

garynysmon

In regards to Joshi I'm curious about TJPW because the style of wrestling is so different, far far less about stiff looking work and almost all about character and gimmick. I know they split opinion when it comes to personal tastes but I'd imagine the training to be far different to what we've seen elsewhere?

16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

In regards to Joshi I'm curious about TJPW because the style of wrestling is so different, far far less about stiff looking work and almost all about character and gimmick. I know they split opinion when it comes to personal tastes but I'd imagine the training to be far different to what we've seen elsewhere?

TJPW definitely comes across as much more chilled out than most other promotions. 

I think DDT is invoked in training but can't say for sure. 

Their growth is pretty surprising. From shows in a tiny venue with no ring (and barely any wrestlers) to where they are now in only a few years. 

Saying that isn't the parent company absolutely minted and not afraid of throwing money around? 

12 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

TJPW definitely comes across as much more chilled out than most other promotions. 

I think DDT is invoked in training but can't say for sure. 

Their growth is pretty surprising. From shows in a tiny venue with no ring (and barely any wrestlers) to where they are now in only a few years. 

Saying that isn't the parent company absolutely minted and not afraid of throwing money around? 

The guys that bought up DDT and NOAH? Yeah true but to be fair to TJPW there was quite a bit of growth even before that with the first Kurakuen Hall show in like 2016?

That reminds me I need to catch up on their shows, I've hearf there's been some great stuff this year.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I think Joshi training is far less brutal than it used to be, largely because there isn't the demand. In the AJW days, they had so many young girls wanting to train that they ran really intense drills and fitness regimes before they ever set foot in the ring. A lot of women who made their name elsewhere - Emi Sakura, for example - did so because they didn't pass the entry requirements for AJW.

As the scene has got much smaller, and tastes have changed, they just can't afford to train the same way. I know a few people who have trained with Meiko Satomura, and have been at one seminar she took part in, and they all say she's nothing like she was presented with those clips in GAEA Girls - what I've heard from a few people is that they were encouraged to be stiffer and more vicious for the cameras. I don't know how much of that came from the filmmakers (I'd be surprised if that was the case; Kim Longinotto was the director, and from what I've seen of her work it turns to be very hands-off and observational, but you never know), but I suspect it mostly came from Chigusa Nagoya and other higher-ups wanting to "protect the business". It's worth remembering that Meiko herself was only 20 or 21 at that point, so far more likely doing someone else's dirty work than being unduly stiff and aggressive on her own initiative. 

From what I remember, the main training in Tokyo Joshi Pro was handled by NOZOMI, who was an Ice Ribbon worker and so, I assume, an Emi Sakura trainee.

• Paid Members

I still feel that the unnecessary harshness on trainees etc stems from wrestlers' historical insecurities or even an inferiority complex that what they're doing isn't a legitimate competitive sport.

Beating the shit out of someone won't make them appreciate the business anymore.

I'm sure its nowhere near as bad now that kayfabe is basically dead, but always that almost pathetic need to appear as 'hard' as possible.

In a competitive sport its nowhere near as easy to keep someone down. If they're better than you then their natural talent usually shines through by the end.

Edited by garynysmon