Worst ideas, Never executed

Merzbow

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

I really liked Daniels. The fallen angel gimmick would have been a nice addition to the Ministry around that time. As someone mentioned as a mouthpiece he could have been great

Only way I can see Daniels being part of the Ministry is if the Ministry for some reason decided they needed the Light Heavyweight Championship.

As good as Daniels was between the ropes at that time, there's no way you're standing him next to Mideon, Viscera, the Acolytes, Big Mark, and the rest, and not having him look absolutely tiny.

Between this and Hade Vansen, I do wonder if pairing him with little indie guys was just a rib to wind up Taker.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I wonder if, given that he's a smaller guy, especially by the standards of the WWF at the time, the plan would have been more to use Daniels as a manager? Paul Bearer couldn't really bump any more, whereas having a manager who can take a beating when needed is always more useful. Though I doubt Russo would have put any more thought into long-term than I just did.

Yeah. That could've worked. He'd even have done well as cannon fodder that the big lads could really throw about in brawls.

The Higher Power was clearly meant to be the leader though (and was, as it turned out). Undertaker talked about "serving" him, and said that he was the one ultimately responsible for everything that had happened to the McMahons and Steve Austin. That kind of build needed a really good pay off - I actually thought Vince was a bit of a let down - and a new Manager just wouldn't have cut it.

But, ultimately, you're right. It's just another example of Russo not really knowing how to tell a story.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

I actually thought Vince was a bit of a let down

Didn't absolutely everyone? It was one of the least logical reveals in wrestling history, surely? They just about made it work, but it was a huge disappointment. 

Also, Sky Text said it was 100% definitely, certainly, nailed on going to be Sid which would have been far better, and anyone obviously else would have been a disappointment. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Didn't absolutely everyone? It was one of the least logical reveals in wrestling history, surely? They just about made it work, but it was a huge disappointment. 

Also, Sky Text said it was 100% definitely, certainly, nailed on going to be Sid which would have been far better, and anyone obviously else would have been a disappointment. 

Sid coming in would’ve been fun, just because it always was. But I can’t really see how it would’ve made sense story-wise. I know it’s wrestling and things often don’t make sense but why would Undertaker see Sid as his ‘higher power’ AKA superior to him? It was a stupid idea from the off really. They backed themselves into a corner to where it could’ve only been the anticlimax that was the Vince reveal. Only other option would be to just put a cucumber under the hood and watch Taker recoil in horror.