Paul vs Askren - Apr 17 🤡

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Chunk said:

It was as far from a sporting event that a sporting even can be. Honestly it felt closer to a wrestling PPV than it did a sport PPV.

I stupidly stayed up to watch the whole thing. It was more like a pop/RandB concert that randomly every now and again had some boxing. The music acts weren't even sandwiched between fights, we were getting them back to back. Each music act seemed to get 15 to 20 minutes as well, so you had 30 to 45 minute blocks of Sweete and Dojo Cat.

I should have gone to bed really and fast forwarded through it today. You could watch all the boxing in 20 minutes. 

Lowlights were DeLa Hoya on commentary who was so wasted they booted him out the booth, Cunningham not knocking out Mir and Pete Davidson in general.

Positives are I know never to watch a Triller event ever again.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

The reaction to Triller after the Jones/Tyson thing was generally positive, i think people were surprised by how good a presentation it was. Last night it seems they undone all that work, the reaction seems overwhelmingly negative from what i can see, both from a fight and show standpoint.

Askren got ragdolled by Jordan Burroughs a few years ago in a charity wrestling match which he had zero chance of winning. And now he's been knocked silly by Jake Paul again in a bout that he had little chance of winning. 

He doesn't give a shit does he? 

• Paid Members

i think the money and the ability to handle stick help Askren to do these kinds of things, but he must have genuinely believed he'd do better against Paul than he did 😄 what happened was worst case scenario.

As for the Diaz thing @Mr Lawrence, not really sure. I think the level of Diaz's boxing has always been exaggerated for the simple fact that he had good boxing for MMA. He'd likely have the skillset to beat Jake Paul though.

Diaz has posted pictures recently showing that he's in good condition and thats got people talking, i think he's tied into a deal with the UFC still though.

• Paid Members

Diaz is fighting Leon Edwards in a few weeks. And yeah, it’s all well and good Jake Paul calling out all these names like Diaz, Poirier and McGregor but they’re all locked into UFC deals and I’m not so sure Dana and friends will allow them to fight outside the promotion. It’s one thing letting McGregor fight Mayweather, there was nothing to lose really there as McGregor shouldn’t have won and was fighting the best boxer and biggest draw of our generation. While Paul is an attraction, there’s a shiteload more to lose there. Imagine this cock clipped McGregor and put him out? There’s no coming back from that.

Edit - yeah, that’s the other option. The UFC bringing him in. Much more likely. He won’t fight MMA though. What’s happening with Zuffa Boxing? Is it ever starting? 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

ahh shit, i genuinely read that Jake Paul tweet as 'Nick Diaz'. Theres more chance of a Nick Diaz fight happening than Nate.

Id heard that Dana was somehow involved over the weekend. I think he may have ok'd it for Askren to fight as Askren may have been still tied into his UFC deal, i may be wrong though.

• Paid Members

He might’ve been actually. I can’t remember how many fights Askren signed with the UFC for but he only did 3 and then retired. He probably still technically ‘owed’ them fights. But of course that’s different than allowing a McGregor or whoever to fight for another promotion. Askren was done anyway and Dana never gave a fuck about him in the first place. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Gooner said:

Feeding this YouTuber all these MMA fighters who think they are boxers and him taking them out one by one is something I could get behind. 

Askren’s the last guy who you’d describe as ‘thinking he was a boxer’ though. He was purely doing it for the money. Fuck, I don’t even think I’d describe him as a MMA fighter. He was a total throwback to the one style days of the UFC, the SEG era when most fighters had one discipline. He was basically a modern day Dan Severn with a perm. He’s a 36 year old amateur wrestler, known for having no striking, with dead hips and a pot belly. Boxing fans claiming some pathetic win over MMA after this is laughable, to be honest. Askren was probably the worst striker in MMA since Royce Gracie.