The Conor McGregor thread 2.0

David

• Paid Members

That might all make sense if a rematch had actually happened. The bout was no exhibition, it was a full on licenced bout, Floyd didnt really gain anything from letting it go long, he simply fought a smart fight and took McGregor out with relative ease as the fight moved down the stretch and as McGregor predictably faded. 

Floyd saying he carried McGregor is simply a dig as to say he was toying with him.

• Paid Members

Nah, if Floyd was playing that game he would have let Conor have a good couple of rounds then stopped him around 4 or 5 and let Conor hang onto a 'i was winning until you caught me' storyline, that's how you sell a rematch. Floyd simply played it safe as he always did and let the fight play out its natural conclusion and in doing so showed everyone that he by far the superior boxer.

Mayweather invited McGregor to tee off and show what he had in the opening rounds, something he would have never done with a Cotto or Canelo. In fact, the official punch stats showed that McGregor landed more punches on Floyd than many other world class boxers had done (although most of those punches weren't meaningful)

Imo, either Floyd didn't take McGregor seriously and/or he decided to carry him for the sake of the show. 

Mayweather can still fuck off though. 

I've been thinking about this loss and what's next for Conor since the PPV ended on Sunday. While we have all said Conor has changed and grown up slightly in the way he is speaking in interviews and press conferences, I think one of Conor's best assets something he has been able to do better than pretty much any other fighter in the companies history is the ability to get into his opponent's head and have 75% of the battle won before he even steps into the cage. I think if he want's to have a shot at getting back to the top spot if indeed he truly want's that at all. He has to revert back to that larger than life character and demolish on the mic like he used to do. This nicey nicey love and respect everyone approach he has adopted isn't working at all and he is appearing more normal and regular instead of this guy that will do and say anything to get the job done.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure anyone here really thinks he's matured or changed. To me it's all been a bit of a PR spin after the allegations and general shit house behaviour these last years. 

Conor going full heel opens him up to his opponent letting loose and throwing these allegations in his face which is not what he wants. Playing the nicey nice babyface, shaking hands and kissing babies will be done until this blows over. 

Him going back to his old schtik would seem properly false now too after his last few outings. He'll have more turns than The Big Show. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

if it is schtick though (and id imagine a considerable amount of it is) would be able to contain it if he fought a Diaz or Gaethje? McGregor tone changed slightly as soon as the Khabib tweets were mentioned in last weekends post fight presser for example.

• 2 months later...

So, McGregor vs Poirier 3 has been announced for July. What's everyone's thoughts?

I'm gonna go ahead and shock the fuck out of you all by saying that I'm rooting for a KO win for... Conor.

I know, mental, eh? But hear me out. 

If McG drops another loss to Poirier there's a good chance he goes away for a while. Maybe even permanently. A good thing, you may think. But is it really?

I like Dustin, but I'm not overly amped up to see him fight. Sure, he's entertaining, but there's a lot of entertaining dudes on the roster. He's also a stand up guy. There's a lot of them on the roster too.

But I want McG to hang around. And for that to happen, he has to win sometimes. This is one of those times. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, David said:

I like Dustin, but I'm not overly amped up to see him fight. Sure, he's entertaining, but there's a lot of entertaining dudes on the roster. He's also a stand up guy. There's a lot of them on the roster too.

I wouldn't say that - his grappling's pretty decent too

Anyway, alright there, David Bischoff. You've gone and swerved us.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about McG sticking around. As a person, I don't want him enjoying any more success, and a part of me wonders if, as long as he's available, the UFC might not be as susceptible to pressure to improve their treatment of fighters - not that they're that easy to pressure anyway, just that I do wonder if the free agency enhanced by Bellator being around might have had more effect by now if the UFC hadn't had McG as a cash cow for the duration? I don't know, though.

• Paid Members

Balls to him. I enjoy watching him fight. Literally just the fight these days. It’s always exciting and dramatic. But the whole thing surrounding his fights now is tiresome to me. From the boring talk of ‘will the REAL Conor show up this time?’ To the ridiculous hype of ‘he’s looking better than ever, (insert opponent’s name) doesn’t stand a chance. Easy first round KO’. Every single time. To the insistence that his opponent is looking terrified in interviews, at the weigh in etc. Every single time. All the way up to the post-fight fallout where it’s either (if he wins) endless gloating about how nobody can beat him when he’s ‘motivated’ to (if he loses) them going through hilarious mental gymnastics to come up with endless excuses for him. Every single time. The same thing happens every time and it’s just boring now. You can say ‘well just avoid the buildup’ and so on and with any other fighter that’d be easy enough. But you can’t escape it with McGregor.

I understand he’s still an attraction and brings in the PPV numbers and all that but that makes zero odds to me. I don’t see a penny of it so why should I care? I know why the UFC want him around but I don’t get a cut of the revenue he brings in so I’ve got no reason to root for him on that basis. And as a person, he’s walking phlegm so I’ll not pull for him to do well on that level either. I enjoy watching his actual fights but to use David’s logic, there’s plenty of fighters on the roster who I enjoy watching fight, and many of them more than Conor McGregor. All that plus there’s no way I can support him over a guy like Poirier. If McGregor beats Poirier this time he obviously wins the trilogy, and then the loss last time will no doubt be dismissed as a fluke or some silly shite. The number of good guys in MMA seems to diminish daily with more and more of them revealing themselves to be wife beaters, racist or just an all around arsehole in general. Poirier seems like one of the few genuine babyfaces we have left. I don’t want McGregor getting the last laugh on him. 

In short, I’m ready for McGregor to fuck off now. If he hangs around he hangs around, and I’ll always watch his fights and find them entertaining. One thing he’s not is a boring fighter. I’ll give him that. But if he disappeared down a ditch tomorrow I can honestly say I wouldn’t miss him, his fight weeks or the whole played out load of overdramatic wank it brings with it. 

Edited by wandshogun09