Where did they go?

tiger_rick

10 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Might have been a difference between shows as I was buying all the 96 ones etc. Not sure if I saw much from the 94/95 wise though

Yeah WCW Magazine was always available where I live. From the initial early 90's run to the really shit 93/94 period (where most of the magazine was black & white), to the 95 relaunch and subsequent in-house version in the late 90's. There was a period from 94-95 where there simply wasn't a WCW Magazine as they'd stopped production, which may be what you're thinking of. 

On 12/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, Merzbow said:

Did anyone ever have the 1998 series of VHS tapes that all looked like this? I don't remember ever seeing these in the wild before.

spacer.png

I remember getting this free with a PS1 version for WCW Thunder in HMV, also a local Gentleman's Special Interest Shop would order them for me, i think buying Fall Brawl 98 would have been more embarrassing in hindsight 

57 minutes ago, libertine said:

I remember getting this free with a PS1 version for WCW Thunder in HMV, also a local Gentleman's Special Interest Shop would order them for me, i think buying Fall Brawl 98 would have been more embarrassing in hindsight 

They could give you an entire years worth of PPV's for free and I'd still feel ripped off after buying that piece of shit game.

• Paid Members
On 12/28/2020 at 9:33 PM, air_raid said:

I sent a letter to the WWF Magazine by fax (yes) in late 1996 asking why Alundra Blayze hadn’t been on Raw or Superstars for so long.

I feel I should elaborate on how this failure happened. I was completely aware of WCW by the time “Alundra Blayze” debuted in the WWF but I had no idea she had worked in WCW, my only knowledge of “Medusa” (sic) being from an April 93 article in SOW about her work in Japan with a single photo of her with a Fujiwara arm bar on (iirc) Debbie Malenko, said photo not clueing me in that the semi-permanent WWF Women’s Champion was the same wrestler.

Between 1995-1997 I bought about 4 “Apter mags” two of which being 1995 and 1997 PWI 500s and two issues of “Wrestling World” or “Inside Wrestling” or something like that randomly at airports in 1996. I’d not become aware of Nitro airing on TNT after Cartoon Network over here, so while I was aware of SOME of the major events in WCW, none of the magazines I’d read had any references to Madusa. It was only when I started catching Nitro on TNT in the spring of 1997 that I became aware Madusa and Alundra were the same wrestler. I might have discovered this online but until I started watching Nitro I never had an inclination to look up anything beyond going to the WWF at AOL “keyword - WWF.”

48 minutes ago, libertine said:

i think buying Fall Brawl 98 would have been more embarrassing in hindsight 

Hilariously Fall Brawl 98 is the only one of those tapes I don’t own. When an ad in PS informed me I could buy Road Wild and Fall Brawl 97 I bought them both straight away. The design of packaging/promo materials/mail order form was almost indistinguishable from Silver Visions. Later I ordered Uncensored 97 and every other tape they released in order, but when buying the next few in chronological order that would have included Fall Brawl 98, I skipped it because it sounded beyond shit. So I ended up owning the retrospectively released Bash at the Beach 96 and every PPV from Uncensored 97 to SuperBrawl IX, excluding the unreleased Halloween Havoc events. And Fall Brawl 98.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, BrodyGraham said:

Woolworths used to have loads of these, or at least the Peterlee branch did.

I used to work in Big W (Woolworths) and I remember in around 2004/05 we got a 3 pallet loads of DVD's, Videos, games and even some GameCube consoles to put on the "Racetrack" which was basically a blue line going around the store and would feature special offers etc. 

All of these were marked down in price, it was basically EUK (Woolworths, MVC distributor) emptying their warehouse of residual stock. In that lot I brought a fair few WCW videos ranging from 1997 PPV'S all the way up.to Bash At The Beach 2000 all for ÂŁ0.99.

We made a killing selling some of the stuff on eBay A Doctor Who box set in particular, which included the movies I think, I sold for nearly ÂŁ30 and only cost me around ÂŁ5.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz