Cobra Kai - S5 and general discussion (may contain spoilers)

John Matrix

• Paid Members

I hadn't seen this before, but being shared a lot today on social media as it's the 36th anniversary of the All Valley Tournament featured in the first Karate Kid film.

Funny and well worth a watch, and i'll segway this into the previously suggested Cobra Kai discussion thread ahead of Season 3 if anyone wants to chip in? Please tread on the side of caution where season three spoilers are concerned - all speculation welcome.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Nice. Will check that out later. Have purposely avoided season 3 trailer; very much looking forward to the show.

In hindsight, I wish i'd had the discipline to, but I knew i'd be all in the second it released!  There are some reveals in the trailer, but the creators are very much labouring the point that no one should jump to conclusions so I think there's a lot of misdirection in there too.  

I haven't felt this way about a show since Quantum Leap, and whilst it's not been running anywhere near as long, it may as well have been - the authenticity of having the original cast back feels as though i've been right there with them the past 30 years you know?  I'm not pretending it's a piece of art, with world class acting or anything like that, but its absolutely the blue print for how you revisit a classic franchise, and comes from effectively 'fans' developing and pitching the idea, rather than a studio going "shit, we're gonna lose the rights to that, quick...write me a spin off!".

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, John Matrix said:

I haven't felt this way about a show since Quantum Leap, and whilst it's not been running anywhere near as long, it may as well have been - the authenticity of having the original cast back feels as though i've been right there with them the past 30 years you know?  I'm not pretending it's a piece of art, with world class acting or anything like that, but its absolutely the blue print for how you revisit a classic franchise, and comes from effectively 'fans' developing and pitching the idea, rather than a studio going "shit, we're gonna lose the rights to that, quick...write me a spin off!".

This is exactly how I feel. I absolutely adore it. It's rare that I rewatch whole seasons of TV shows more than once but Cobra Kai I've watched probably 5 times at this point and it never gets old. The tone is so perfect a continuation of the KK franchise its remarkable. 

Also my daughter loves it too which is always a bonus.

I'm so glad more people have seen it now. When it was on YouTube I was always terrified it would get cancelled as it seemed like I was the only person that had seen it.

• Paid Members

That's brilliant!

The show is great, too. I remember when it was first announced, and I think most people thought it would be cheesy, low budget crap. Instead it ended up being one of best, most anticipated(amongst folk I know anyway) shows around. 

• Paid Members

So this looks like it’ll be fucking amazing.  I don’t know Josh Gad but from what I can gather this series, in which he’s also covered Back to the Future, started as a bit of a “keep busy during the first proper lockdown” has been really well received and well, who hasn’t he got on board for this...

There was a screengrab leaked last week which revealed a ton of other people, including this wonderful Santa Claus looking bastard!!

image.png.799e5c23586ed48e153b847beb0c41be.png

Quicksilver indeed!!

• Moderators

I know everyone shits on the third film, but since Cobra Kai was announced, there's nobody I've been more excited about seeing than Terry Silver. He's part of that trio of the greatest 80's villains: Silver, Drago & Vigo. Although, if anything, he's aged too well. I want him to come in with a grey skullet ponytail, like Jesse Ventura.

Are we sure that screengrab isn't Dave Lee Travis?

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I wasn’t aware the third film drew such negativity until Cobra Kai when I started revisiting it all in detail, I still really enjoy it although how much of that is down to Griffiths powerhouse performance I don’t know. 

I know Macchio and the director don’t generally like it, I’d love to know if there’s some original screenplay or cut or something that got lost in the ether somewhere along the way.

The only person I’d be as excited to see back would be Dutch, but as they wrote around him in S2, I’m guessing he’s not board - there’s some behind the scenes footage here and an amazing clip at 2:33 that sums up why I love Dutch so much, just pure lunacy, shame it never made the final cut.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=325472725565683&id=106030530843238

Edited by John Matrix

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

The only person I’d be as excited to see back would be Dutch, but as they wrote around him in S2, I’m guessing he’s not board

Fucking love Dutch. I used to do that little headroll warmup thing he did when we played football at lunchtime in school, like a prick. If he wasn't up for it before, then moving to Netflix and everything blowing up so big at least increases the chances of any of the actors wanting to come back. And him being in jail in storyline offers up plenty of possibilities if he does change his mind. Sleeping on Kreese's couch because he's just got out and got nowhere to stay, being offered a job in the Dojo to keep his probation officer off his back etc.

Although they could've just done what they did when he wasn't available for the Karate Kid II opening, and had someone in a baseball cap stand with their back to the camera, even though his best mate was getting beaten up.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Fucking love Dutch. I used to do that little headroll warmup thing he did when we played football at lunchtime in school, like a prick. If he wasn't up for it before, then moving to Netflix and everything blowing up so big at least increases the chances of any of the actors wanting to come back. And him being in jail in storyline offers up plenty of possibilities if he does change his mind. Sleeping on Kreese's couch because he's just got out and got nowhere to stay, being offered a job in the Dojo to keep his probation officer off his back etc.

Although they could've just done what they did when he wasn't available for the Karate Kid II opening, and had someone in a baseball cap stand with their back to the camera, even though his best mate was getting beaten up.

Haha very often, if I’m alone in the kitchen I’ll pace back and forth with a grin on my face staring a hole through an imaginary Daniel LaRusso.  It’s not easy to come off as such a convincing prick with that amount of screen time, and he did it effortlessly.

As for the rest of your post...given us well bad nob-ache that has, of the sexy kind!  If only S3 wasn’t already in the can, I hadn’t considered world events opening up previously closed doors and those are both very plausible scenarios!

The only thing I’m really against, and I don’t think the writers would resort to this, is any past characters being connected to any of the new ones! Bring them in by all means, but I don’t want Terry being Miguel’s Estranged dad or Ali being Tory’s mum or any of that shite.

• John Matrix changed the title to Cobra Kai - S3 and general discussion (may contain spoilers)
  • Moderators

I haven't watched much of Cobra Kai, I saw the first couple of episodes on youtube and thought it was awful and pandering to people who like "school discos" as adults so gave up. Maybe I'll have to try it again given the posts about it here.

I can't believe Karate Kid III was panned, I think that it is far better than II (which I can barely remember). Terry Silver is a great evil character, he made bank dumping toxic waste, enlists bad boy Mike Barnes who is a nasty fucker, and he leads Daniel to THE DARK SIDE. You have the great and moving bonsai tree arc. Great movie.