UFC Fight Island: Zombie vs Ortega - Oct 17 🇩đŸ‡Ș 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Probably but most of the names I’ve mentioned there weren’t even on DWCS. I don’t think anyway. They must have hired someone new to scout talent from Europe or something because there seems to be an influx of killers coming in at the moment from Russia, Poland, Sweden, Spain etc. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Probably but most of the names I’ve mentioned there weren’t even on DWCS. I don’t think anyway. They must have hired someone new to scout talent from Europe or something because there seems to be an influx of killers coming in at the moment from Russia, Poland, Sweden, Spain etc. 

True, but I was thinking that DWCS would've contributed not just in terms of who was on it; they would've had to scout quite a few people for a shortlist of candidates to put on the show. In this regard, you're probably right they must have hired someone new - not just for DWCS, though, also for general signings.

• Paid Members

That’s most likely it. They’ve always done that. Going back to the TUF days. I remember reading that Frankie Edgar and Clay Guida actually tried out for TUF 5 in 2007 but they opted to just sign them to UFC contracts outright instead. So you’re probably right. They’ll pick and choose who’s a fit for the Contender Series and who they’ll just throw straight onto the main roster. A guy like Gamrot for example, they won’t bother putting him through DWCS to ‘earn’ a contract. They’ll snap a guy like that right up. 

• Paid Members

That man is having zero luck this year. Seemingly through no fault of his own as well. They should put a dummy of Dana White in the cage with him on Saturday and have Gane do an exhibition. Then increase his record by an extra TKO victory. The very least he deserves after all this is a few tin cans in order to get some quick pay days in. 

• Paid Members

Gane was scheduled to fight Shamil Abdurakhimov 3 times this year. The first time Gane pulled out with pneumothorax. The other 2 times Abdurakhimov pulled out due to ‘undisclosed reasons’. Gane also had a fight with Sergei Pavlovich scrapped in August when Pavlovich withdrew due to injury. And now this Ante Delija fight due to contractual issues on Delija’s end.

So yeah. 5 scheduled fights, 5 cancellations. And only one of them was Gane himself pulling out. He’s been fucked over royally this year. 

Thank you, I had no idea the prelims started so early. I think I will stay up to watch the prelims and then watch the main card tomorrow morning like I usually do.

It looks like I am the only one who voted for an Ortega victory. It's not neceessarly what I want but I just haven't seen many holes in his game. Holloway made him look basic but Holloway can do that to most fighters. I love Zombie but he has shown over the years that he can be beat where as Ortega is still quite a mystery. 

How the 2 year layoff has impacted him we will soon see, Zombie knows all about having a 2 year lay off.

• Paid Members

Yeah I just voted Ortega as well. Not even sure what it is it’s just a gut feeling I’ve had since the fight was announced. I’d much rather Zombie win but like you say, I think a lot of people are sleeping on Ortega based off the Holloway loss.

The main thing giving me doubts though is that layoff. I know guys like Dominick Cruz act like ring rust isn’t real but it’s not going to be the same for everyone. For the majority of fighters coming off an extended time on the bench, ring rust is probably a very real thing. And he wasn’t just out, he had injuries as well. So it’s not like he was able to train the whole time.

Fuck knows. Above everything, I’m really just hoping for a great fight. I’ve wanted to see this fight for so long now I’ll be gutted if it’s a letdown or ends in 10 seconds or something. Thinking about their styles it’s really got all the makings of a FOTY contender. 

I genuinely can't remember the last time i was this angry at a main event fighter. Absolute mad respect to Ortega he absolutely dominated that fight i just have no fucking idea why the Korean zombie did not turn up tonight. 

Co main was absolutely sick i thought she broke her rib but maybe she just really winded her. 

Then what a knock out by Crute that uppercut after the massive right that dropped him was absolutely devastating he literally lifted him back on his feet to take the ko victory.

• Paid Members

Man, Bald Brian Ortega is legit. It’s like he gave up his hair in exchange for better Fight IQ and levelling up his striking. I don’t think it’s a case of Zombie not showing up. I think it’s more that a completely different Ortega showed up than the one Zombie was expecting and training for. 

I said I was picking him and thought a lot of people were sleeping on him but I never envisioned that kind of performance. I thought it’d be the typical thing where he’s losing rounds and then pulls a submission out of thin air due to KZ getting over aggressive or something. But this was a different Brian Ortega. He looked better in the striking, he was more patient, didn’t get caught up in too much of the wild exchanges Zombie likes and he was actually putting rounds in the bank rather than relying on his BJJ to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat late in the fight. I thought if Ortega won this it’d be mostly down to his grappling. I didn’t expect him to outstrike the Zombie over 5 rounds. 

You reckon Zombie had flashbacks to the Yair Rodriguez fight here?...

0A778363-19FB-4DCB-8130-6CA6F49A9E31.gif

Don’t know what’s next for either man. I saw Dana the other day saying that they’re still trying to put that Zabit vs Yair fight together for December but it’s not finalised yet. So if that happens what have we got? Surely not Volkanovski vs Holloway 3. But as good as he looked here, I don’t think it should be Volk vs Ortega either. Ortega is coming off a 2 year layoff and 1 win. I’d like to see Zombie vs Holloway and maybe Ortega vs Kattar but then who does that leave for Volk? 145 is loaded but the title picture is a right mess at the moment.

Chuffed to see Jessica Andrade looking like Jessica Andrade again. When she’s in that berserker mode there’s few fighters more fun to watch. I really expected the worst from this and thought Chookagian was just going to tip tap and move and outwork her way to a frustrating decision. But Andrade was having none of it and just crumbled her with that body shot. Look at her face after it landed...

0-E6-BF582-F16-E-4248-8-A2-E-3-CA09236-F

Jaysus.

The Jim Crute KO was vicious. Christ. Bukauskas had looked decent in the stuff I’d seen of him as well. Still think he’s got some potential. But this wasn’t his night. Crute fucking waffled him. 

Not sure what to make of the Martinez vs Almeida fight. Martinez looked good but I’m not sure about the ‘a new contender has emerged’ line the commentators were spewing. Almeida had been gone a while and I thought it showed. Just didn’t look like he was quite firing on all cylinders to me. Nothing against Martinez but I think that flattered his performance a little bit. 

Really enjoyed that Kutateladze vs Gamrot fight. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of both of them. Real good fight and a close one. Kutateladze saying he thought Gamrot won was the kind of refreshing honesty you don’t get often after a fight. I actually had Kutateladze winning 29-28 myself, thought he won the first 2 rounds. I think he was being a tad harsh on himself but he was probably just disappointed he didn’t get a finish and got taken down a lot in the last round. Be interesting to see who they’re both put with next. 

Oh and Said Nurmagomedov murdered a man on Fight Pass...

D49B18D2-F4C2-47AA-971C-DFCF330A91F2.gif

Like a horizontal version of Phil Baroni vs Dave Menne. Striegl looked like a decent prospect coming in as well but Said done him in in seconds. 

Another good show.