Bellator 242 - Pettis vs. Bandejas (July 24th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Thought Bellator's first show was worthy of its own discussion thread. This takes place tonight! it's live on Sky Sports too. Excellent little main card:

bellator242_bandejas_vs_pettis.jpg

Sergio Pettis vs. Ricky Bandejas

Jordan Mein vs. Jason Jackson

Tywan Claxton vs. Jay Jay Wilson

Aaron Pico vs. Solo Hatley Jr.

Excellent main event, Pettis' Bellator debut was stella and Bandejas has that reputation as a spoiler. Gonna be a fun one.

The return of Jordan Mein after a 2 year retirement, Mein was once tipped as the next big thing.

Claxton/Wilson is a little sleeper. Claxton is the name here burtWilson is 4-0 in Bellator and is a bit of a Kiwi BJJ phenom, his fights dont go long.

Pico/Hatley. Everyone knows Pico but Hatley is coming off a decision win over a killer like Gaston Bolanjos so dont expect him to be intimidated. Pico is always must see anyway.

I like the fuck outta this actually, should be short and sweet.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Thought Bellator's first show was worthy of its own discussion thread.

They're all worthy of their own threads in my opinion. The giant mega-thread is why I ended up missing many of them.

In fact, you seem to be the resident Bellator dude, so I nominate you to make sure these threads happen and idiots like me don't miss good fight cards! 😁

• Paid Members

decent short little highlight package by Sky featuring the guys on tonights card:

Just ignore the Mike Goldberg calls and you'll enjoy that. The guys a human soundboard at this point, awful.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

That was a hell of a lot of "JUST LIKE THAT" 

Yep, he's a soundboard at this point. I dont think hes made a genuine call in over a decade. The definition of phoning it in.

The Jamaican Shamrock. He's a regional fighter who acted as a late-replacement. He had one of the most tedious bouts I have seen in recent times on the prelims. 

Elsewhere, Pico, Pettis, and Jackson all did the business. I have a soft spot for Jackson, so I was chuffed he won. Wilson vs Claxton was a decent scrap as well. Although, like many others, I have no idea how one of the judges scored round 2 for Wilson. 

• Paid Members

was a decent little show, the main event was alright but it fell into that old Sergio Pettis routine of the UFC where nothing memorable happens during his fights, they just sort of happen and someone wins a decision.

Aaron Pico fought the smartest fight of his career and took zero damage, wasnt exciting but shows what hes capable of. 

Like you said Jackson and Wilson were the standout winners. Both upsets too. I really like the look of Jay Jay Wilson, aggressive submission fighter.