The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Yeah, I had that as LBW myself. With the cloud cover today I'd have gone at them with Anderson, but the thing is with gone with Archer and Wood. I'd have had Broad or Woakes with the new ball along with Jimmy and only play one fast bowler. Probably Archer, but then he'd get over bowled as he always does. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't know if you heard them talking to Cook about if he would bat or bowl first this morning. He said that 2 years ago with the same overhead conditions as today they put Hampshire in first and they scored over 500 and Essex lost by an innings. 

It didn't look like a day to pick 2 quicks though. Anderson, Woakes, Archer, and Stokes looks a better line up. 

• Moderators

Nah I didn't see that. I was in my wanking chariot until 10 and by the time I made breakfast and and a shower and so on so forth I was expecting the start of play.

Cook's got in infinitely higher cricket IQ than me, but in these conditions I'd fancy that ball to swing dangerously, and it did the first couple of overs and I really don't fancy that West Indies top order as any great shakes. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Anyone watch the Michael Holding Story during lunch? Thought it was going to be a one-off thing but delighted to see it's going to be a series, like the Kevin Pietersen one. Looking forward to the series about Pakistani cricket too.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyone watch the Michael Holding Story during lunch? Thought it was going to be a one-off thing but delighted to see it's going to be a series, like the Kevin Pietersen one. Looking forward to the series about Pakistani cricket too.

With the added benefit of Holding not being an insufferable dickhead.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post. Disappointing day's cricket. 

Batting was annoyingly predictable, nice knock by Bess at the end. I reckon there is a decent chance he becomes a batting all rounder at some point. Mainly in county cricket but he has really impressed me numerohs times with the bat. I actually think he has more potential with the bat than Sam Curran. Saying that I am sceptical about him as a front line test spinner going forward.

It was really noticeable how much Borad was missed, fuck even Woakes. Archer still needs to be the 3rd seamer for me. For the time being at least. 

So I sold my tagged 1992 Pakistan Cricket World Cup shirt today for quite a large sum, and the guy that came to collect it kept trying to talk to me about cricket.

The only players that I know from that team are Wasim Akram and Imran Khan so I mentioned them, and the guy got a bit irate at the mention of the latter, and the transaction went a bit sour.

Note to self: Stick to selling football shirts.

• Moderators

Note to you: Keep the cricket thread to cricket, especially in test season. If you don't know much about it, learn something of the game then you may be able to add something. You should have talked to him and picked something up. The cricket threads are the forums finest sports threads for a reason. 

As regards Bess' knock as regards what @ElCece mentioned earlier. I'd love to see what people batting at 8 for England have averaged against 1, 2 and 3 in the order over the past 3 years. Between Ali, Curran, Woakes and Bess I'd wager its better. I know it's almost a cliche now, but the number 8 digging us out so much is a fucking farce. 

And why is Buttler still there over Foakes? 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

To be honest, I think the problem was with Stokes choosing to bat first. Absolutely nuts considering the West Indies batting line-up and the overcast conditions. England didn't bat that badly but any team was at risk in those conditions against bowlers bowling well, which West Indies did.

I think England are putting together a good batting line-up at last (Denly needs to go though) but there are areas for improvement. And Buttler's been given more than enough tests now, Foakes never deserved to be dropped in the first place.

12 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Note to you: Keep the cricket thread to cricket, especially in test season. If you don't know much about it, learn something of the game then you may be able to add something. You should have talked to him and picked something up. The cricket threads are the forums finest sports threads for a reason. 

I did have a good chat with him, and even though I don't watch much of it, I enjoy reading about it in The Guardian (I think along with boxing, it lends itself well to good sports writing), and listening to the Test Match Special.

I was just pleased that the shirt went to someone who really appreciated it. He told me his Dad, Uncle and cousins all flew over to Melbourne for the final, and afterwards had a good chat with Ian Botham and Alec Stewart, who were very gracious in defeat.

He just clearly didn't like Imran Khan!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

To be honest, I think the problem was with Stokes choosing to bat first. Absolutely nuts considering the West Indies batting line-up and the overcast conditions. England didn't bat that badly but any team was at risk in those conditions against bowlers bowling well, which West Indies did.

I think England are putting together a good batting line-up at last (Denly needs to go though) but there are areas for improvement. And Buttler's been given more than enough tests now, Foakes never deserved to be dropped in the first place.

I hate to rag on Denly as he has great temperament and is a competent player but is that what we should settle on at 3? 

I've never been a fan of Buttler in red ball cricket, I know Foakes was shite in County last year but I would much rather have him. Deep down though I'm a YJB apologist and would still lean in that direction.