MMA/Boxing RIP Thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Just seen this and it doesn’t seem right to just lump news like this in with fight announcements and things like that. Khabib’s father, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, has sadly died after a battle with COVID. 

Awful news. He’s been in poor health for weeks but the last I’d read it seemed like he was slowly on the mend.

Bit more on it here;

https://www.rt.com/sport/493686-abdulmanap-nurmagomedov-dead-khabib-ufc-covid-19/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Such a character. I've often joked about him being the baddest Dad on the planet, but it's always warmed the heart the amount of love and respect (and, yes, fear) Khabib obviously has for him.

57 is so young too. It must have been such a joy seeing what has become of Khabib, after he trained him from such a young age. At least they got to share that experience with one another.

• Paid Members

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1260692062510465026?s=20

Conor was classy about it when it was first announced. I'd like to think he'd remain so, but you never know with him. Don't envy the next guy to step into the cage with Khabib though, maybe it's time for that rematch after all?

CM.jpeg

Edited by KJHenley
Tweet didn't preview

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Such a character. I've often joked about him being the baddest Dad on the planet, but it's always warmed the heart the amount of love and respect (and, yes, fear) Khabib obviously has for him.

57 is so young too. It must have been such a joy seeing what has become of Khabib, after he trained him from such a young age. At least they got to share that experience with one another.

In hindsight, it’s nice that he was at Khabib’s last fight with Poirier. He was denied a Visa to get in the US from what I read so he couldn’t actually attend many of Khabib’s bigger fights. With the Poirier fight being in Abu Dhabi, he was able to be cageside. Little did they know it’d be the only opportunity.

ADCB8CD0-629D-40D2-852D-F79FA6B39B26.gif

5 minutes ago, KJHenley said:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1260692062510465026?s=20

Conor was classy about it when it was first announced.

That was his second response to the news. This is what the arsehole posted, then deleted, initially;

AEB3F92D-D1CC-4B26-8F4E-4808AD3594D4.jpeg

• Paid Members

Yeah but also...

B9988-F06-B924-4-C04-B66-E-64-D511-FF0-F

Absolutely fuck Conor McGregor. Honestly baffles me how so many on Twitter and stuff will just blank shit like this that he posts but will fall over themselves to share the ‘humble and classy‘ ones. Find it rich him talking about inactivity as well. The man who sat out about 14 months after Khabib slapped him around.

Again, fuck McGregor. This shouldn’t be about him anyway. 

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

ahh sad news.

Varelans was an old NHB favorite of mine. He lost as many as he won but he delivered exactly what was advertised at the time, violence. Varelans took some severe beatings too, his loss to Mark Kerr remains one of the most unsettling MMA fights ive ever seen.

I was following him on social media and he was in the process of writing a book. Dunno if get far enough into it for it to get some kind of release?

And seeings as we're all Pro Wrestling fans here, who could ever forget this:

tazvarelans.jpg

RIP to the Polar Bear.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Ahhh, no way. One of the first guys that stood out in the earlier shows because of his size and was in that mid range of 'slightly better than the generic tough guys' but got absolutely battered by the guys coming in who were legit fighters. 

One of the first guys I remember being taken out by leg kicks, against Marco Ruas. Wasn't he also one of the first victims of the Ruas footstomps?