VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

21 Jump Street

It's ok. I think I had high expectations for both these films and they're decent but maybe didn't live up to all the good words I'd heard. Not bad by any means and Channing Tatum/Jonah Hill make a fun on-screen pairing.

22 Jump Street

I'd say better than the first one by a fair bit. Honestly there's not much to say about either film. They're funny buddy cop movies but do nothing out of the ordinary. They're a good background watch. The side story in this one with Ice Cube dapping up Jonah Hill for having sex with a woman is the funniest thing in the film by a country mile.

Boss Level

One of those chose-at-random films we picked out scrolling through Amazon Prime. Action film about a guy getting stuck in a time loop where he dies repeatedly and has to figure out how he got there and why he's stuck in there. As with most time-loop stuff you have to leave your brain at the door and just accept it, but they do try and explain it in a satisfying manner rather than "it just is" or "it's the magic of love" or whatever.

Frank Grillo is the lead and Will Sasso and Mel Gibson are the main bad guys. The former does an excellent job of pretty much carrying the film single handedly while the latter two are barely in it, all things considered. Will Sasso is fucking crap though, not sure how or why he was cast in such a prominent role.

The action is fun, the film is violent and over the top but never too gory, and it's over and done before you know it. Really exceeded expectations. Good fun.

My major gripe with it is that the video game theme isn't really a theme as much as it is a suggestion, the film would be fine without it. The video game stuff they do though, a "pop up E-Sports tournament" had me doing an Itchy and Scratchy Xylophone thing every time it was on screen. There's a fucking load wrong with it but the main ones are they call Street Fighter II an "80s 8-bit side scrolller" (every game in this tournament including Altered Beast is apparently an 8-bit side scroller) and they also have 3rd Strike on some machines mistaking it for II.
When they do sit down and play Street Fighter II in this retro 8 bit side scroller arcade tournament, it's the HD remaster on PS3.

The other main gripe is the main kid, despite playing a Ryu vs Ken match keeps calling his character Akuma, and when he does a Hadouken, he calls it something completely wrong like a Garuben or something and then they both shout GARUBEN. It's worse than Tony Soprano playing the N64 like he was peeling a banana.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members

My Neighbour Totoro (cinema)

It's a good film imo.

The Conversation (cinema)

See above. Quite amused that they showed a trailer for Coppola's new film, Megalopolis, beforehand and it looks like it's going to be megashit. The Conversation, on the other hand, is Coppola's actual best film, don't listen to the Godfather 1/2 propaganda.

Raising Cain

Brian de Palma taking the piss out of himself to hilarious lengths. Can't be taken seriously on any level and John Lithgow is either the worst good actor or best bad actor of all time. Such a good laugh, this.

Unman, Wittering and Zigo

I think this has been doing the rounds on Talking Pictures. Superb psychological thriller - weird and threatening with a great ending. Nobody's seen it but it's an early 70s British gem.

2 Days in the Valley

One of 56,000 Tarantino copies that flooded the market in the mid-90s. Not good on any level aside from the Teri Hatcher / Charlize Theron fight. Then again, none of these Tarantino clones were.

The Offence

This doesn't get any easier to watch on repeat viewings and I'm not sure I could sit through it again. Shows what an incredible filmmaker Sidney Lumet was that this might not make his top 5, for me. Horrible, amazing film.

The Thief (1952)

Dialogue free film noir starring Ray Milland as a traitor leaking scientific secrets to 'the other side'. The speech-free gimmick works better than I've seen in any film before and it's an excellent, anxious noir.

Nowhere to Go (1958)

Excellent British crime thriller featuring a young Maggie Smith in one of her first roles, and starting as she means to go on. Really strong story and performances in this, one of the better British efforts at a classic noir.

The Nice Guys

Alright, which one of you cock and balls wants to earn 20 bucks?

• Moderators
On 7/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, LaGoosh said:

On the contrary, I'd say it's a fucking great film. Beautifully shot, good jokes and proper storytelling with actual emotional stakes. I'd argue it's one of if not the best kids film ever made.

The scene where it cuts back and forth between the turtles goofing around to Raphael being essentially beaten to death is brilliant dark comedy. 

I haven't seen the third one for years, in my memory the villain looks like Rik Mayal. Is that right?

I watched the first Turtles movie for the first time in decades today with the kids. I think it has held up really well. I enjoyed it a lot and they were into it too.

I had wanted to watch Mutant Mayhem with them as I had mistakenly thought it was available for free on one of the streaming services I have and was worried they would think this was shit and it would kill all interest they had in ninja turtles but they really got into it. 

• Moderators
On 8/2/2024 at 9:19 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I watched the first Turtles movie for the first time in decades today with the kids. I think it has held up really well. I enjoyed it a lot and they were into it too.

I had wanted to watch Mutant Mayhem with them as I had mistakenly thought it was available for free on one of the streaming services I have and was worried they would think this was shit and it would kill all interest they had in ninja turtles but they really got into it. 

Little update on this. Kids are demanding daily to watch the scene where April wakes up on the Turtles' sofa with Splinter starting at her and starts screaming. They howl with laughter and demand it again and again. ?

Arcadian- They made a choice, pay Nic Cage to do fuck all or have decent special effects. I’m not saying they were wrong but Nic Cage does fuck all and the monsters look shit. A good bad film.

Civil War- I just love the feel of Alex Garland films, I feel like he immerses the viewer in his world the same way you feel when playing a video game. Not surprising for a writer I suppose. Spent the whole film wishing Cailee Spaeny was Elle in The Last Of Us. Nowt wrong with Bella Ramsey but Spaeny is Elle.

The Watchers- Shite and Dakota Fanning vaping in a pet shop annoyed me more than it should. 

Despicable Me 4- Absolutely fine. Not arsed with the films and can take or leave the Minions but the kids enjoyed it and I got to have a cinema hot dog.

Late Night With The Devil- I really liked the feel and look of this. A nice take on the possession concept and David Dastmalchian plays the part of a charismatic late night host really well. Another string to his bow and a nice change from creepy weirdo roles.

• Paid Members

Masterminds

An all-star cast including Owen Wilson, Zack Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Kristen Wiig and a bunch of other notable SNL alumni in a comedy about a botched robbery should really have been a no brainer but unfortunately it’s directed by Jared Hess who hasn’t made a good film since Napoleon Dynamite.

Don’t be fooled by the star power here. Barely any jokes and the plot is all over the place. More of a disappointment than anything. In better hands this could have been knocked out the park but instead it commits to the (at this point) 12 years old structure of Napoleon Dynamite and tries to be clunky and weird and doesn’t utilise what it has in doing so.

• Members
9 hours ago, FLips said:

Masterminds

An all-star cast including Owen Wilson, Zack Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, Kristen Wiig and a bunch of other notable SNL alumni in a comedy about a botched robbery should really have been a no brainer but unfortunately it’s directed by Jared Hess who hasn’t made a good film since Napoleon Dynamite.

Don’t be fooled by the star power here. Barely any jokes and the plot is all over the place. More of a disappointment than anything. In better hands this could have been knocked out the park but instead it commits to the (at this point) 12 years old structure of Napoleon Dynamite and tries to be clunky and weird and doesn’t utilise what it has in doing so.

Yeah I didn't enjoy it.

On 6/15/2024 at 9:31 AM, SuperBacon said:

Shit? Well Sisters was crap, but Masterminds took the biscuit. The thumbnail did NOT show Zack Galifanakis, and by the time I realised it was too late (I'm no quitter!) and he's in 95% of the film. It gets 2 for Wiig, who I always enjoy. I'll have to check but I think it's the worst film I've seen this year.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FLips said:

Don’t be fooled by the star power here. Barely any jokes and the plot is all over the place.

Feel like this sums up most comedies of the past 5 years. Comedy films are in an absolute dire state at the moment.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

There's been a lot of good comedies so far this decade, maybe just not as many top tier Hollywood ones. I had a look down my Letterboxd ratings for comedies so far in the 2020s that I'd rated 4 stars and above and actually got a bigger list than I expected.

• Everything Everwhere All at Once
  • The Holdovers
  • The Mitchells vs the Machines
  • Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
  • Jackass Forever
  • Bad Trip
  • Official Competition
  • Barbie
  • Bottoms
  • Inside Out 2
  • Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
  • The French Dispatch
  • No Hard Feelings
  • Turning Red
  • Palm Springs
  • The Fall Guy
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
  • Cha Cha Real Smooth
  • BlackBerry
  • Happiest Season
  • The Half of It
  • Rye Lane
  • Joy Ride
  • Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
  • Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar
  • Polite Society
  • The Croods: A New Age
  • Yannick
  • Thelma
  • The Kid Detective
  • Confess, Fletch
  • Deadstream
  • Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes
  • Ron's Gone Wrong
  • Dating Amber
  • We Have a Ghost
  • Smoking Causes Coughing
  • I'm Your Man
  • Mandibles
  • Beavis & Butt-Head Do the Universe
  • Save Yourselves!
  • Incredible But True
  • The Phantom of the Open
  • All Hands on Deck!
  • River
  • Wild Men
  • The Outside Story
  • Invalid

Those are just the ones I rated 4 stars and above, there's a ton I gave 3.5 stars to. Not many bid budget Hollywood comedies there but it's been a good decade for comedy.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Haven't seen your entire list. While there's still some great stuff I think my perception of big mainstream comedies is that they've been pretty poor for a while now. We're pretty far from the glory days of stuff like When Harry Met Sally.

I'm not sure I'd call Everything, Everywhere, All At Once, The French Dispatch and Dungeons & Dragons comedies. I loved all three but I don't think of them as comedy movies at all (despite being funny).

Out of the rest of your list, I really enjoyed Jackass Forever, Bad Grandpa, Palm Springs, Rye Lane and Polite Society and The Mitchells & The Machines.

I fucking HATED Bottoms, The Fall Guy and Barb & Star Go To Vista Del Mar.  When I think of modern comedy movies being bad those are exactly the type of films that come to my mind.

I think Rye Lane is probably the closest film out of your list to capture some of that old magic.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Nightmare Alley

I'm a nerd for all things old-timey carnival (to the point that if I have any criticisms of the movie, they're more likely to be about accuracy there than the plot) and mesmerism, and del Toro doing film noir is fantastic. None of the twists and turns in the plot are massively unexpected, but they play out well enough that it all works. It's just too bloody long, though. I haven't seen the 1947 original, but it's 40 minutes shorter than this one.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Haven't seen your entire list. While there's still some great stuff I think my perception of big mainstream comedies is that they've been pretty poor for a while now. We're pretty far from the glory days of stuff like When Harry Met Sally.

I don't disagree. I think more than anything the bigger budget comedies play it safer these days rather than being afraid to fail, and that's why you get a lot of nice enough and quite amusing stuff like Anyone But You but not enough that really takes comedic risks. But it's a failing of the studio system as a whole right now.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Nightmare Alley

I'm a nerd for all things old-timey carnival (to the point that if I have any criticisms of the movie, they're more likely to be about accuracy there than the plot) and mesmerism, and del Toro doing film noir is fantastic. None of the twists and turns in the plot are massively unexpected, but they play out well enough that it all works. It's just too bloody long, though. I haven't seen the 1947 original, but it's 40 minutes shorter than this one.

Del Toro's films can be filed into two categories - his excellent Spanish language films and his fucking boring English language ones. The original Nightmare Alley is stunning though.

Edited by Devon Malcolm