Boxing: General News & Discussion Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Ryan Garcia seems to be in the midst of a full blown mental breakdown. His behaviour was weird at the pressers last week, now his Twitter is all over the gaff. Kid needs some help.

Such a strange turn of events with him.

You can never gain the full idea of someone's character until you actually know them on a deep personal level obviously, but by how he's been from what we've seen over the years he's always come across as quite level headed, a bit flashy at times, and full of himself, but other than that pretty screwed on. This has all come outta nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Hughie Fury is going to be making his comeback after 3 years off on a card in Rotherham on April 20th against an as yet unnamed opponent. I don't know what's going on with Hughie, whether he has been ill, injured or something else but this seems fairly suspicious to my untrained eye. I wonder if the Texas Athletic Comission are involved at all. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

So the undercard of Beterbiev v Bivol is going to be the Matchroom v Queensbury 5v5. They've chosen the weights this afternoon. Frank has chosen Heavyweight and Middleweight. Eddie has chosen Featherweight and Light Heavyweight. Turki has also chosen Heavyweight. The fighters will be announced in a couple of weeks. Each fight is worth 1 point to the winner. Each team chooses a captain and if they win they get 2 points. 

They also floated the idea of a show at Wembley in September as an advert for Riyadh Season, that would have a similar deal to the 5v5 plus a big main event which you would have to assume is Fury v Joshua if Fury wins 

Exciting times. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick Ball v Leigh Wood at Featherweight. 

Edited by Lion_of_the_Midlands
Added YouTube link

15 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So the undercard of Beterbiev v Bivol is going to be the Matchroom v Queensbury 5v5. They've chosen the weights this afternoon. Frank has chosen Heavyweight and Middleweight. Eddie has chosen Featherweight and Light Heavyweight. Turki has also chosen Heavyweight. The fighters will be announced in a couple of weeks. Each fight is worth 1 point to the winner. Each team chooses a captain and if they win they get 2 points. 

They also floated the idea of a show at Wembley in September as an advert for Riyadh Season, that would have a similar deal to the 5v5 plus a big main event which you would have to assume is Fury v Joshua if Fury wins 

Exciting times. Wouldn't mind seeing Nick Ball v Leigh Wood at Featherweight. 

This is clearly all very exciting, but I think the unspoken truth is that it's returned boxing to the cartel era - something that 5 years ago Frank would have been horrified by, given he was the first cartel breaker.

Boxing in this country is now a co-ordinated operation between Matchroom and QP, funded by His Wonderfulness.

I don't really have a point, other than it's a bit mad and not something i'd have predicted.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

This is clearly all very exciting, but I think the unspoken truth is that it's returned boxing to the cartel era - something that 5 years ago Frank would have been horrified by, given he was the first cartel breaker.

Boxing in this country is now a co-ordinated operation between Matchroom and QP, funded by His Wonderfulness.

I don't really have a point, other than it's a bit mad and not something i'd have predicted.

It's all mad. To think that Frank and Eddie had never spoken to each other let alone met before Turki flashed the cash. Both of them like a pound note though so they quickly overcame that. Boxing really has been taken over by the Saudi money. It used to be where could the most TV money be made and the answer was always Sky for the past 30 years or so really. Sky look all at sea now though. Ben Shalom may be a nice bloke but Frank and particularly Eddie are eating him alive. Hearn suggesting thst Sky will drop Boxxer when the contract runs out at the end of the year in loads of interviews after the Dalton Smith fight. Shalom hasn't helped himself by barely giving interviews and pulling out of purse bids that he called for. If Fabio Wardley beats Frazier Clarke I do think that Ben will cry. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It's all mad. To think that Frank and Eddie had never spoken to each other let alone met before Turki flashed the cash. Both of them like a pound note though so they quickly overcame that. Boxing really has been taken over by the Saudi money. It used to be where could the most TV money be made and the answer was always Sky for the past 30 years or so really. Sky look all at sea now though. Ben Shalom may be a nice bloke but Frank and particularly Eddie are eating him alive. Hearn suggesting thst Sky will drop Boxxer when the contract runs out at the end of the year in loads of interviews after the Dalton Smith fight. Shalom hasn't helped himself by barely giving interviews and pulling out of purse bids that he called for. If Fabio Wardley beats Frazier Clarke I do think that Ben will cry. 

Not based on anything, but my guess is Sky back out of boxing - but not entirely.

I think they'll do a deal w/ DAZN to host a certain number of DAZN shows in return for coverage of the events on Sky Sports News/promotion of DAZN PPV's; and I also think they might do something around amateur boxing, and try and do something with AJ/Team GB around amateur boxing, which is completely free of any brand reputation issues.

In effect, they'd get to wash their hands of the seedy side of boxing which isn't good for their brand, continue to broadcast professional shows via DAZN and maintain a relationship with AJ through the amateur stuff.

Or, at least, that's what i'd do if I couldn't be arsed with the faff that comes with boxing anymore.

Good to see Turki has both Warren and Hearn on a leash, shows that no matter what, they'll do whatever they're told for the money. I rarely listen to Hearn but heard him after Dalton Smith fight going for Shalom and saying does Aziz really want it, how Smith is four levels above and they are looking at work title shots for him, changed his tune in less then 5 seconds which is even quicker then usual for him when he flaps his gums. 

Wardley vs Clarke I'm interested in coming up. I've been unsure about Clarke since the amateur days, never been that taken by him or rated him anything special, but he has big opportunity here and I'll give some credit to Shalom for getting him the fight like he said he would after he pulled him out first time around when the purse bids were ordered.