Viral Resolutions

Onyx2

• Paid Members
On 3/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched all the Jackass films.

Whenever I miss my mates I throw on these films or the series. Not that we're anything like those guys at all (far from it) but it's the shared laughter and camaraderie that really hits the spot. Like Beavis & Butthead, it's very misunderstood despite being incredibly lowbrow.

Also, I can vouch for all the C25K talk. It really works. I started off hating myself after being unable to do the first day but before I knew it I had moved onto C210K, was running for 40 minutes without stopping and lost a ton of weight. Unfortunately I hurt my ankle back in August and put all the weight back on because, although the results were tremendous, I really hate running.

• Moderators

I bought a shavette to learn to shave with - largely just for the fun of the challenge but also because apparently they irritate your skin less and are also better for the environment. The first attempt went terribly. I cut the fuck out of my face, it took really long and it wasn't even a good shave.

The second time was much better. Two passes and it was a really smooth shave and the best my skin has ever felt after a shave. Still took bloody ages though. But I can tell I'll get quicker with practice.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

Always fancied trying a straight edge razor (never heard the term 'shavette' before). Good time to try! 

Continuing watercolours, I painted Edoras (Lord of the Rings) yesterday. It started well, then I over did the mountains and the Fellowship themselves ended up complete trash. 6/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 3/30/2020 at 8:13 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

I bought a shavette to learn to shave with - largely just for the fun of the challenge but also because apparently they irritate your skin less and are also better for the environment. The first attempt went terribly. I cut the fuck out of my face, it took really long and it wasn't even a good shave.

The second time was much better. Two passes and it was a really smooth shave and the best my skin has ever felt after a shave. Still took bloody ages though. But I can tell I'll get quicker with practice.

Yeh, buying a shavette was the best decision I ever made in terms of shaving. Much cheaper for a start - because you snap the blades in half, you go through them half as fast as you would if you were using them for a safety, plus they're just cheaper in general. I've never had any real problems with cuts on the face, as I used to go to my local Turkish barber a lot and watch their technique while I was waiting, but I have had an annoying slash to the thumb when I didn't hold the razor firmly enough and it sort of span in my fingers. But that's a really rare occurrence. For the most part, I get a really good shave - only thing I might change up is the shaving soap; the basic Turkish stuff is cheap and good, but I've generally had much smoother and quicker shaves with shaving oil.

I found I really like the shavette, and will probably not bother with a full-on, single steel cut-throat, as they're really expensive (even refurbished ones), not just to buy but to maintain. Strops are ridiculously expensive, and you need to buy stuff just to maintain them. 

At the moment, I'm taking advantage of the only good thing to come out of my business slowly grinding to a profitless halt, and using the spare time to resume learning Farsi and Malay, and also to learn guitar and mandolin (apologies to Malbranque, but if it helps, I don't particularly like Mumford & Sons). Also working out more, and writing as well. All this in addition to general pottering about the house to do little fixes and jobs that needed doing for a while.

Definitely jumped on the health and fitness bandwagon (that i planned in January!) - been doing a lot of YouTube fitness classes and walking the dog more than she normally gets.

As someone who’s vice is eating and drinking out this has done wonders for my waistline- we’ve had to cook every meal and I hate drinking alone so that’s out of the window. 

I’m working full time for now, but would like to use this time to pick up some sort of hobby besides just binge watching the network! 

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell forgot to mention, a few tips: don't shave with the soap still on your face - that's mainly something they do for effect on TV and film. When you shave, scrape as much of the foam off as you can off the area you want to focus on, then shave; you get more accuracy because you can see where you're shaving, which is what you want for better shaping, and, more importantly, preventing cuts. The soap's only for softening bristles, so as long as you've left it on long enough to do that, you can remove it.

It's a bit more difficult with a shavette, because it's lighter than a single steel, but let the blade's weight do the work - keep a steady but light grip on the shavette.

Work with your facial skin - either pinching or just holding it down with a fingertip is the best way to avoid cuts, especially when doing upward passes. 

There are "established" ways of gripping the razor, but ultimately it really does come down to comfort - you'll always have more control if you're comfortable with how you're holding it. I find that a pen grip is perfect for fine detail.

Edited by Carbomb