TV Characters that became caricatures of themselves

Mr Blake

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, MVP RULZ said:

I also think Joey from Friends followed a similar pattern in the latter seasons he is just too stupid to be believable at times which is nothing like he was previously where he was a lot smarter then he later was portrayed as being.

Think you could extend it to all of the characters in Friends, personally. Over time they all become more and more one-dimensional andĀ caricatures of themselves.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chunk said:

Think you could extend it to all of the characters in Friends, personally. Over time they all become more and more one-dimensional andĀ caricatures of themselves.

They were all insufferable by the end. I'm trying to pick the least annoying one but it's a tough choice. Can you imagine being friends with any of them?Ā 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Chunk said:

They also become bizarrely self-referential. By the end, Monica isn't really a neat freak, so much as a vehicle for jokes about herĀ beingĀ a neat freak. Chandler doesn't make jokes any more, everyone else makes jokes about how Chandler's always making jokes.

Few sitcoms have aged as badly, I find it barely watchable if it comes on telly now. The only upside is watching the entire thing as the story of the slow mental breakdown of Ross Geller.

I read somewhere that the writers made Ross insufferable because David Schwimmer was the driving force behind the main actors getting equal pay. Funnily enough I thought the best thing about the later years was the emergence of Schwimmerā€™s physical comedy.Ā 

• Paid Members

Phoebe's the only one who stayed consistent to the end but she also became pretty much the least featured main character. I agree with Houchen about Schwimmer, he was a superb physical comedian. That was the thing about Friends, they were or are all superb comedy actors and were able to make some pretty weak material work until they just ran out of ideas with about 3 series left.

You'll have to take my word for it as I doubt any other fucker on here will admit to watching Will And Grace but the character of KarenĀ starts as a bit of a high maintenanceĀ pain in the arse with the voice of aĀ normal human being, two or three series in and she's this shrill-voiced alcoholic monstrosity.