TV Characters that became caricatures of themselves

Mr Blake

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Maybe not overall in fitting with this thread, but somewhat related. I watched an episode of Only Fools & Horses last week where Rodney meets some rich bird and they start dating. Del weasles his way in and basically ruins the whole thing (the theatre scene, the clay pigeon shooting). Watching it back, Del's just an utter prick in that episode, usually his heart is in the right place, he'd just got about getting to his goal in his own messed up way, but in that episode he's just plain cruel.

John Sullivan said he regrets writing that episode because of Del’s actions and David Jason hates it as well. There’s a fan theory however that because Rodney stopped Del going to Australia in the previous episode, this was Del’s revenge. 

Del is a dick in that episode and it’s not the best, but there are still quite a few funny lines from Del and the posh birds Dad. 

In Series 2 of 'Men Behaving Badly' Tony was introduced as a super-cool ladies man.

In Series 3 his pursuit of Debs increased and he became a bit desperate.

In Series 4 he had multiple gorgeous girlfriends throughout.

In Series 5 he was completely unable to talk to or be around women.

• Paid Members

Good shout. Men Behaving Badly is generally shit, but the story-line where Tony becomes a postman and grows a moustache must be a contender for the most "fuck it, will this do?" bit of writing ever. Absolutely no relation to anything that had gone before, and was crap. 

• Paid Members

Penny from The Big Bang Theory.

She barely even had a character at the start of the show. She was the normal one in a cast of total oddballs.

As the show went on, the other characters became more and more normal, and Penny became ridiculous. She went from being "not a scientist" to being too dumb to understand that "Vegas Weddings" are real. She went from being a struggling waitress who'd make mistakes to not even trying. We went from "Unlike the rest of the characters, Penny had sex in High School and never got bullied" to "Penny had sex with EVERYBODY in High School and was terrible bully". At one point, I think she was stealing from charities.

I didn't make it through the whole show but I'm assuming she killed people by the end of it.

Actually, a better example is Dexter from Dexter. At the start, he was a cold, calculating genius, who would only target killers who had completely escaped justice and wouldn't be missed. He'd plan out each murder in minute detail, to eliminate any possibility of him ever being linked with it.

By the end, he's an absolute fuckwit who just rushes into situations with no plan at all, and then does a morose voiceover about the importance of "Harry's Code" which he's just completely ignored. He's killing random gangsters in airports on a whim, going after people who the Police are actively investigating, and sending people videos of him saying "I am going to kill you" and then wonders why he's suddenly close to being caught.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Imagine watching so much Big Bang Theory to be able to make that analysis. That's some suffering, brah.

It took me 3 years to get round to watching Hidden Figures just because Jim Parsons was in it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

Actually, a better example is Dexter from Dexter. At the start, he was a cold, calculating genius, who would only target killers who had completely escaped justice and wouldn't be missed. He'd plan out each murder in minute detail, to eliminate any possibility of him ever being linked with it.

By the end, he's an absolute fuckwit who just rushes into situations with no plan at all, and then does a morose voiceover about the importance of "Harry's Code" which he's just completely ignored. He's killing random gangsters in airports on a whim, going after people who the Police are actively investigating, and sending people videos of him saying "I am going to kill you" and then wonders why he's suddenly close to being caught.

I'd echo this. I actually watched right up to the middle of the final season of Dexter when it was on Netflix and just stopped watching. Never saw the finale but heard it was bollocks.

By the final season, everyone knows he's a killer. The police know, his friends know, his colleagues know, his sister becomes a killer and they just dick around and can't be arsed. Dexter is the ultimate example for me of a show that peaked early and then got embarrassingly bad. John Lithgow in Season 4 was a revelation but everything after is dog shit.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Imagine watching so much Big Bang Theory to be able to make that analysis. That's some suffering, brah.

The sad thing is, I'm not even embarrassed.

I've watched, and enjoyed, far worse than The Big Bang Theory. I'm working my way through Glee right now.

4 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I'd echo this. I actually watched right up to the middle of the final season of Dexter when it was on Netflix and just stopped watching. Never saw the finale but heard it was bollocks.

By the final season, everyone knows he's a killer. The police know, his friends know, his colleagues know, his sister becomes a killer and they just dick around and can't be arsed. Dexter is the ultimate example for me of a show that peaked early and then got embarrassingly bad. John Lithgow in Season 4 was a revelation but everything after is dog shit.

I gave up about the time they tried to force a romance between him and his sister. That was just lazy as fuck, as well as creepy.

Season 4 was amazing though.

11 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

John Sullivan said he regrets writing that episode because of Del’s actions and David Jason hates it as well. There’s a fan theory however that because Rodney stopped Del going to Australia in the previous episode, this was Del’s revenge. 

Del is a dick in that episode and it’s not the best, but there are still quite a few funny lines from Del and the posh birds Dad. 

Also I believe that it was in the Only Fools And Horses book that the Tea For Three epsiode was Rodney's revenge for Del's actions in A Royal Flush.