The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

15 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Microsoft Teams has given our Department no end of issues during the last year. Over a thousand people were issued Surface Pro 7 laptops during peak pandemic in 2020. Those laptops were OK until Microsoft decided to roll out New Teams. Long story short, the webcams on SP7s do not work properly in New Teams(something to do with the way the video encoding is now handled). We raised the issue with Microsoft and they have given zero help over how to resolve the issue. They’ve had Gigabytes worth of logs from ourselves but we still have no solution. The issue is happening worldwide but Microsoft are so big, they can release any old rubbish and get away with it.

Google Gemini AI I find to be useful. You can ask it about a lot of things and it will give detailed, useful and accurate answers. It’s not perfect but it does help me in my line of work at times.

A very long shot but you could ask your admin to turn on Teams NDI on a Test Teams account and see if that makes any difference . If you record calls does the video play ok ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/broadcasting-audio-and-video-from-microsoft-teams-with-ndi-and-sdi-technology-e91a0adb-96b9-4dca-a2cd-07181276afa3

3 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

A very long shot but you could ask your admin to turn on Teams NDI on a Test Teams account and see if that makes any difference . If you record calls does the video play ok ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/broadcasting-audio-and-video-from-microsoft-teams-with-ndi-and-sdi-technology-e91a0adb-96b9-4dca-a2cd-07181276afa3

The problem is that anyone using an SP7 camera either gets kicked out of meetings or their Teams App completely freezes. Our Surface Pro 7s reach end of life next year and we’re starting to replace the devices now but it’s still been a pain. The only workaround that’s worked so far is rolling back to Classic Teams but that’ll only work for so long. In fairness, New Teams has been ok on all other devices on our estate.

1 hour ago, LCJ said:

The problem is that anyone using an SP7 camera either gets kicked out of meetings or their Teams App completely freezes. Our Surface Pro 7s reach end of life next year and we’re starting to replace the devices now but it’s still been a pain. The only workaround that’s worked so far is rolling back to Classic Teams but that’ll only work for so long. In fairness, New Teams has been ok on all other devices on our estate.

Does it work if you login via the web browser on the Surface Hub to Teams i wonder ? If you know what i mean.

We had a Surface Hub 1 in our place and it was a heap of shite.  It would sign people out of their sessions and ask them to re-enter their passwords constantly. 

Edited by Browser Brady

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

While we're all having a pop, new Outlook is absolutely shit and I switched back within 10 minutes.

I don't want to hear any "oooooooh you're not using it right" it's shit.

New Teams is alright though.

Tell that to @LCJ and his Surface Hubs !!

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

Ok , does a calculator execute pre defined functions to give defined results but AI can generate things that aren’t pre defined essentially?

Yeah maybe it’s just me, i was very underwhelmed.

A.I. today is predictive text on steroids basically.

Cory Doctorow wrote a great blog post about AI recently (here, if you’re interested). It covers a lot of ground, most interestingly about AI being thrust upon and into companies by the managerial classes who don’t really understand what it does or how to make it work (or basically, that they cant, or not in the way they want it to).

He also links to a very long article by the late David Graeber, entitled “Of flying cars and the declining rate of profit”, which is equally fascinating and highly recommended if you’re looking for some long form reading about how advances in technology and our vision of what the future could be like have changed compared to the 50s and 60s. 

58 minutes ago, Browser Brady said:

Does it work if you login via the web browser on the Surface Hub to Teams i wonder ? If you know what i mean.

Unfortunately not. It does however work with a USB web cam which when you consider the SP7 has a built in camera, is ridiculous.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here's a weird one. For a few months on and off, the Twitter app hasn't worked properly for me. It doesn't load, shows I have notifications but I can't see them, none of the pictures or profiles show, and this probably happened 4 or 5 times a day. I just put it down to the website being absolutely shit these days.

I saw a comment on the Play Store as I thought about uninstalling it (yes yes all you non users are superior humans) that said for someone it didn't load while their phone was charging, and thought I'd see if that was the problem.

And that is the issue. While my phone is charging, it happens and doesn’t when it's not.

This to me seems really weird, as I don't know what could cause that. Don't need a fix, just am curious as to why that happens if anyone knows.

• Paid Members

Late the party on the new Outlook hate, but it really is bad. I used it for a month and have switched back.

When I looked into it, I discovered it’s actually web Outlook running in an instance of Edge. You can’t even set an out of office, and simple things like ordering calendars by name are absent. It also runs like a dog, as our standard laptops at work can’t handle that much client-side UI in a web browser.

I believe Teams is the same, which might explain your webcam problem. Have you tried web Teams? I suspect you’ll have the same issue.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Scratch said:

Late the party on the new Outlook hate, but it really is bad. I used it for a month and have switched back.

You can’t even set an out of office. 

And there's me thinking I was being an idiot, struggling to set an Out of office before I went on leave a few weeks back. 

Reverted back to the old version also. 

Edited by Bus Surfer