The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

That’s a hell of a fight. Guess this means Whittaker’s personal situation is looking better now, which is good. Fuck patriotism, I’m rooting for Whittaker. Never really taken to Till apart from when he was trolling the arse off Colby Covington a while back. 

• Paid Members

Be ta hokey, sweet merciful hour, if that main holds up, the roof will come clean off the 3 Arena.
With this on my sons' birthday weekend and Bellator on my birthday weekend in October, it's just beautiful timing all around. Please God.

Till came off as a bit of shitebag on Eurobash this week. He can be outwardly aggressive, passive aggressive and almost a bully when he wants to be and it's not in a funny way either, even though he may think he's coming off as a cheeky chappy.
I want to like him, and I know I should like him, but there's something there stopping me investing fully in the man.

I would say they'd have to call up Ian Garry, Rhys McKee or James Webb (which will be now strange for me to be at an event - or in the Pavillions in Swords, Co.Dublin - and not get asked if I'm him) for this show, but with Garry and McKee on the CW115 show in May (taking the trip to that, too), not sure if it'll be too tight a turnaround, depending on how they fare in their respective fights.

But they need some Irish fighters on this card, and it's not something they're flush with. I'd say Duffy is a shoe in, and they could probably chuck Suga - if he's even interested in scrapping in this shithole - in there too for the plastic pop.

Fun few months of rumours and announcements ahead, no doubt.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

12 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Till came off as a bit of shitebag on Eurobash this week. He can be outwardly aggressive, passive aggressive and almost a bully when he wants to be and it's not in a funny way either, even though he may think he's coming off as a cheeky chappy.
I want to like him, and I know I should like him, but there's something there stopping me investing fully in the man.

100% agreed. 

• Paid Members

As mentioned before, I root against Till because he's openly endorsed Jair Bolsonaro. I don't care if that makes me weird - the guy is an actual fascist who advocates killing opposition and calls Brazil's military dictatorship its glory days. Anyone who supports that is an abject cunt.

It will be interesting to see what sort of cage the UFC use at the Apex facility. It has been speculated on the Sherdog forums (yes, I know), that they will have to use a smaller cage, rather than the larger cage that they usually use for PPVs and TV events. 

A smaller cage benefits wrestlers and aggressive strikers. Whereas a larger cage benefits counter strikers. We also see a 60% finish rate in smaller cages in comparison to a 48% finish rate in larger cages - https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ufc-apex-has-a-small-or-a-big-cage-octogon.4093131/

All speculation, but I think Khabib and a motivated Mirko Cro Cop would be near unbeatable in the smaller cage. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

It will be interesting to see what sort of cage the UFC use at the Apex facility. It has been speculated on the Sherdog forums (yes, I know), that they will have to use a smaller cage, rather than the larger cage that they usually use for PPVs and TV events. 

A smaller cage benefits wrestlers and aggressive strikers. Whereas a larger cage benefits counter strikers. We also see a 60% finish rate in smaller cages in comparison to a 48% finish rate in larger cages - https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/ufc-apex-has-a-small-or-a-big-cage-octogon.4093131/

All speculation, but I think Khabib and a motivated Mirko Cro Cop would be near unbeatable in the smaller cage. 

I know it isn't the intention but I've come away from this thinking we should be doing tag-team MMA.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ElCece said:

I know it isn't the intention but I've come away from this thinking we should be doing tag-team MMA.

It has actually been done, and apparently was a complete mess. Think Egg Shen posted about it a few ears ago. 

• Paid Members

Fuck sake. I’ve just edited the upcoming event threads for Ngannou vs Rozenstruik and Overeem vs Harris that have been moved to the APEX in Vegas. Then just seen that they’re no longer going to be in Vegas and the UFC are looking for new venues. At this point I think they really need to just cancel/postpone everything. Coronavirus is getting 10-8s all over the shop in this fight. 

B39402CC-12D7-48DB-8FB8-BE29DECB4450.jpeg

• Paid Members

This is starting to hurt my head trying to follow all of this. I know fighters have paid out lots of money on training camps up to now and I'm sure they want to get paid (not sure what the status is on if UFC are paying the people who were supposed to be fighting but aren't any longer through reasons out of their control) but the uncertainty of what's going on is bound to be making this a difficult run in for all these fighters, that postponing these cards really might make the most sense all round.