The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members

12 fights currently, so maybe 2 more? 3 at the most.

Arnold Allen is the new Leon Edwards. 8-0 in the UFC and nobody talks about him. Hopefully he'll get that reverse push that Edwards got and gains popularity from people feeling a bit sorry for him😄

• Paid Members

Nice. Aljo vs Yan 2 finally confirmed then.

Saw bits and pieces recently about Usman vs Covington 2 going down in October or November as well so I’m expecting that announcement soon.

Also, there’s been a bunch of talk that the Islam Makhachev vs Rafael Dos Anjos fight I’ve been banging on about for months might be in the works as well. RDA even said Islam accepted it but Ali Abdelazziz has shot that down and said nothing’s set in stone yet. It shows the UFC at least want that fight though, which is good. Hopefully they’ll give them 5 rounds.

And of course, there’s Adesanya vs Whittaker 2 to sort as well. It’s all go. Some great stuff coming to finish 2021. 

• Paid Members

Not for any rational or logical reason, but I have a horrible feeling, given the way the world's been working, that Cuntington will get the win this time.

• Paid Members

Yeah. We’ve had it too good with twats getting beat up so far this year. McGregor, Masvidal, Saunders etc. Feels like we’re gonna have to start paying that debt back any day now.

BT’s Adam Caterall tweeted, and I completely agree, that if Usman beats Covington again, and especially if he stops him again, he’s really got Fighter Of The Year sewn up. Stoppage wins over Burns, Masvidal and Covington inside a year is gonna take some beating. I can’t even think who the second best of the year would be but there’d be some distance in it between them and Usman. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, I can't think of anyone else. Even now, though - who's got a better record? Only person I can think of comes even remotely close is Yaroslav Amosov.

BTW, I was just checking out Masvidal's record - fucking Raphael Assuncao, who's been in the BW division how long, has a win over him! That's a hell of a widening gulf they've travelled away from each other over the years.

19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Not for any rational or logical reason, but I have a horrible feeling, given the way the world's been working, that Cuntington will get the win this time.

Can't see it. Usman has improved leaps and bounds since their last fight, beating Masvidal twice and Burns, registering two stoppages. Covington has beaten Tyron Woodley. 

I like Covington as a fighter, he's got a lot of tools in his Trump-branded toolbox but he's been far too inactive in my opinion. Unless he's done some amazing work in the gym since September last year I don't see how it ends in anything other than a fairly lopsided decision or stoppage for Usman.

Those hands are fucking lethal, man. And are on a different level from their first fight. Whatever he's doing in the gym as far as boxing training goes, it's working.

Usman is levels above the rest of the division. Covington is the next best I think, but that gap is fairly sizeable.

• Paid Members

Really hope you're right, man. Covington is indeed a superb fighter - it's aggravating just how good he is, and, worse still, just how much heart he showed after having his jaw broken. But you're right about Usman - he's terrifying, and I really hope he smashes Covington again.

13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Really hope you're right, man. Covington is indeed a superb fighter - it's aggravating just how good he is, and, worse still, just how much heart he showed after having his jaw broken. But you're right about Usman - he's terrifying, and I really hope he smashes Covington again.

Covington is a dude I like watching when the cage door shuts. Sadly, his gimmick is fucking abhorrent. I met the guy in vegas before the first Usman fight, and he's as pleasant as they come. Signing autographs, posing for photos, shaking hands, giving it the old nudge and wink over his gimmick. 

I'm more of the view that it's pretty sad a guy as talented as him has had to essentially paint himself into a corner to earn some recognition and cash. Without the gimmick he's just another bland fighter, and would likely be nowhere near where he is financially.

14 hours ago, David said:

Covington is a dude I like watching when the cage door shuts. Sadly, his gimmick is fucking abhorrent. I met the guy in vegas before the first Usman fight, and he's as pleasant as they come. Signing autographs, posing for photos, shaking hands, giving it the old nudge and wink over his gimmick. 

I'm more of the view that it's pretty sad a guy as talented as him has had to essentially paint himself into a corner to earn some recognition and cash. Without the gimmick he's just another bland fighter, and would likely be nowhere near where he is financially.

This is where MMA and pro wrestling are bluring lines slightly because in the grand scheme of things when that door shuts its as legit and real as can be. You can get seriously hurt, you can get badly beaten up to certain extents where it can take years off your life. 

HOWEVER I think the whole gimmick/promos/controversy to sell tickets and ppvs is where it becomes very much like pro wrestling. Fighters like Colby have a tendency to one minute make me smile and chuckle then the next feel slightly dirty and sad in the blink of an eye. But when it comes down to it his inactivity from the cage won't even come into it where ppv sales are concerned because that man can go on any interview or podcast and the next day everyone is talking about him and thats some real power and position within the sport and the ufc. 

This is why we will always see fighters that can talk and create more headlines using a microphone leapfrog over several worthy and more deserving that can do it harder/better/faster/stronger in the cage because there are so so many shows and fighters now you have to stand out and make people look and talk about you over those higher up the rankings.

• Paid Members

I’m still not on board with the ‘it’s all a gimmick bro’ stuff when it comes to Covington. I think a lot of that talk comes from wrestling fans who hate the thought that they’re being worked or had over somehow. No doubt he’s hamming it up more for attention but if it’s all fake, I don’t know, I think he’s a bit too good at being a cunt for it not to have some truth to it. There’s been too many things now as well. When your own teammates start turning on you as we saw with Poirier, Masvidal etc then it’s gone a bit past a gimmick. When pillar of the community Jon Jones, who was Colby’s college wrestling buddy, says you’re “a really bad person” it doesn’t look good either.

There was also an incident at an event a while back where he was supposedly giving Stipe Miocic’s wife hassle at cageside. For nothing, not like he’s ever gonna be fighting Stipe is it? So he wasn’t ‘working an angle’ there. And I don’t even think it was picked up by cameras or seen by many people but Stipe talked about it at the time and said he would have to “talk to Colby about it”. Some of the shit he’s said to Usman’s been pretty vile as well. Then there was this when Glenn Robinson passed away before the first Usman fight;

7-F695-E6-B-B1-FB-479-B-A602-22-B0-F5-AD

F2-D882-C9-4-D0-F-426-A-AC1-A-B95-EEF17-

So what he can be nice at meet and greets? Bad people aren’t always bad 24/7. I’m sure he’s lovely when he’s round Nanna Covington’s for the Sunday roast. Doesn’t mean all this shit is fake. And even if it is all bullshit, I don’t think that’s much better and in some ways it’s probably worse. It’s bad enough if these shitty views are his actual views, but if it’s all just made up to get attention, that’s even sadder. And while it’s definitely advanced his career, there was talk that the UFC were even thinking of cutting him before he started mouthing off, is he that big of a deal now? Outside of people like us who’ll watch Sean Strickland main events, I mean? He gets main event positions and title shots now but is he some huge star? I’m not into the ratings bollocks but wasn’t his main event fight with Lawler the lowest rated show since they went on ESPN or something? Did he kill it with Woodley in his last fight? He’s definitely better off financially but I’m not with this idea that it’s 100% manufactured and he’s actually this loveable bloke underneath it all. I think he’s just been more vocal about his actual beliefs, let his real personality out and turned the volume up a bit. Not everything is a work. Sometimes people are just arseholes.

93-AD866-C-CFB2-4-CC4-A361-90-C34-FE4-E6

I’m afraid nudges and winks aren’t going to cut it when you’re saying shit like this. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Oh, I'm not claiming that behind closed doors he's a swell lad who secretly voted for Biden. Not by a long shot. Like most successful gimmicks, he's basically ramped up and taken his own personality and amplified it.

What I'm saying is, lots of the stuff he says is because he knows it'll have schmucks like us talking about him. He knows that there's going to be a lot of fans out there who buy the PPV to see him get his jaw cracked again. And by default, he'll earn cash from that.

He's undoubtedly a bit of a dick in real life. You can tell by looking at him that he's the posterboy jock athlete who was popular at school with the girls, and who the teachers and figures of authority loved because of his patriotism and his conservative leanings. 

I've often thought that he has that look about him of the type of lad you see swaggering around in combat fatigues in Iraq. He's got the haircut and the regulation US army jawline.

But, he knows he what he's doing. That's what I'm trying to get across. He's obviously a Trump supporter, but he's laying it on thick because he knows it annoys people. During that weekend at the weigh-ins and suchlike, he was the perfect gentleman. He was quick to tell people to shut up if they heckled him (even then it was with a joke and a smile), but on a weekend when a lot of athletes didn't really interact all that much with the fans (which is their prerogative, of course, as they're going through weight cuts etc) he was front and centre giving everyone time making eye contact, saying a few words, signing and posing for photos. 

I'll always appreciate that, because I had travelled a fair distance and he was one of the few fighters who recognised that, asking where I'd come from and thanking me for travelling to the fight. 

Coincidentally, one of the other fighters to go above and beyond was Usman. An absolute gent as well. Both fighters made the fans feel like they mattered, and made sure to give them all as much time as they could. One thing they have in common I guess!

• Paid Members

Not sure about this bit Dave…

9 minutes ago, David said:

You can tell by looking at him that he's the posterboy jock athlete who was popular at school with the girls

E9-F78-C23-752-A-4-A4-F-ABFD-57-F7178-E6

8A7CD8D6-E7A1-44B4-850D-72201D4D8B08.gif

11 minutes ago, David said:

He's got the haircut and the regulation US army jawline.

Not even sure about the jawline now either after Usman crumbled it in the first fight.