The MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

David

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That wife-beating sack of shit Perry doesn't deserve the extra cash that match would bring, though. 

Nah I think Perry would get the same as he always does. You only get extra if you’re figured into the PPV cut and Perry isn’t getting a sniff of that. He’d get his standard cheque whether he fights Nick Diaz or Jason Thacker off TUF 1. 

16 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i quite like it 🤷🏻‍♂️ there's something about Chimaev's personality meshing with the Diaz' brothers that appeals to me, it could spark abit of a 2-3 fight rivalry too. Fightwise it could be bad for Diaz, but theres worse places for him to be than on his back against a guy like Chimaev.

I don’t know. I think it’s a potential nightmare style-wise for Diaz. Chimaev hasn’t fought at a really high level yet but what we’ve seen of him in top position looks dominant and brutal. He might just rag Diaz about. The grappling could be interesting so I know what you’re getting at but at the same time, we’re thinking of the Diaz we remember and it’s been a long time since he’s been in there. There’s still a lot of questions on Chimaev but his style is the type Diaz often struggled with even in his prime. Now he’s coming up on 38 years old and has been out of the game for years, it could be ugly.

I at least want to see one fight with a Lawler or Condit or whoever first. If he looks great there then fine. But the first fight back? Although saying that, we don’t know what the deal is. Is Diaz coming back for one fight or looking to get a few in? That’ll change their plans. Maybe it’s a one and done thing he’s after. If it is then I can see why the UFC would want to gain as much as possible off it and bypass easing him in against a fellow fading veteran. It’ll probably go like all the other times, he won’t end up coming back and Dana will have an outburst saying Diaz doesn’t wanna fight and fucked him around. 

• Paid Members

if Diaz comes in and beat Chimaev he's off to the races. You could throw Nick in with anyone anyway to sell, but a win over Chimaev will legitamize his return. Even if he somewhat exposes Chimaev, who lets be honest still hasnt been tested, nobody will care, all they will see is Nick Diaz derailing the hype train and talking shit whilst doing it.

Edited by Egg Shen

A passed his prime Diaz beating a passed his prime Lawler in a forgetable match kills Diaz's hype stone dead, and he becomes just another mildly popular UFC fighter. Theres way more upsides to the Chimaev match, in terms of the hype of that actual match, and subsequently the momentum it would give either winner, in my opinion.

• Paid Members

I know that anything can happen in MMA, but surely Diaz has absolutely no chance against someone like Chimaev? I appreciate that I'm basing this opinion on what I've seen of them after their primes, but it seems to me that the Diaz Bros. are skilled MMA fighters, but not elite, and they appear to not only be weak in the wrestling department, but actively advocate against training in it (unless that's just them doing the usual macho grandstanding). In this era, that's fatal, especially against this wave of Eurasian Russians for whom wrestling is by culture the definitive core of combat sports training. 

Even being generous and acknowledging that Nick is always training and keeps in shape, the simple fact is he hasn't fought in six years, he's 38 years old, and the last guy he beat was a BJ Penn at the beginning of his defeated streak.

Ah, fuck it. Diaz by wheel kick. </wand>

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Dai said:

A passed his prime Diaz beating a passed his prime Lawler in a forgetable match kills Diaz's hype stone dead, and he becomes just another mildly popular UFC fighter. Theres way more upsides to the Chimaev match, in terms of the hype of that actual match, and subsequently the momentum it would give either winner, in my opinion.

I get what you’re saying but what does Diaz getting smushed by Chimaev do for Diaz’s hype? He’s been gone for a fucking age. No-one’s saying a Lawler rematch is of any significance in title pictures or anything. But after 6 years away, I think most fans just want to see him in a fun competitive fight. We don’t know how good Chimaev is yet but given his style, he more than likely squashes Diaz and that’ll be that. Diaz’s return ends up looking like Edgar vs Penn 3, Dana’s at the press conference saying he shouldn’t have booked it and everyone just wishes the whole thing never happened. A Lawler fight mightn’t set the world alight in terms of hype in 2021 but it feels like a relatively evenly matched fight at this stage, it’s got the ready made backstory of the first fight and the long journey they’ve both been on since, and stylistically it’s probably going to be entertaining to watch. If Diaz wins great, then maybe you can look at something like Chimaev or whoever. If he loses, at least you got a fun fight out of it and then maybe you can feed Lawler to Chimaev instead. I just don’t think anyone really wanted to see Diaz vs Chimaev right now. Maybe I’m wrong but when talk of Diaz fighting again started up this past week, I heard all kinds of names suggested as his comeback opponent and not once did I hear or read the name Khamzat Chimaev until one of the media asked Dana about it at the post-fight presser. 

3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, fuck it. Diaz by wheel kick. </wand>

Edson who? 

2F34D566-9364-43A7-8BEF-AF1625E6F114.gif

Surely booking Nick against Masvidal makes the most sense? The UFC could draw off the whole "BMF" thing and Masvidal beating Nick's brother. They could perhaps even book the winner to fight McGregor in the future, especially if McGregor wants to stick around after DP beats him again. 

As for Chimaev, I just want to see him fight someone in the top 5 or 10 so we can get a better read on how good he is. If he did fight Diaz, it wouldn't really answer any questions. Even in his prime Nick wouldn't be able to do much against most of the current top Welterweights, especially grapplers like Usman, Covington and Amosov. 

• Paid Members

Exactly my thinking Jim. There’s a few fighters names who immediately popped into my head to fight Diaz. Masvidal and McGregor were obvious ones. They’re the type Diaz returns for, big names, easy to hype, both probably do well on PPV and Diaz makes good coin. Plus they both have history with Nate so it’s an easy and logical story to tell. Those are the names I’m guessing Diaz is eyeing. More than Lawler or Condit and definitely more than Chimaev. I’d say Chimaev is one of the last names Diaz will be looking to fight in his comeback. It does little for Nick despite the ‘hype’ on Chimaev. Because Chimaev is unproven anyway. People can say about Lawler or Condit being past their best and that’s true. But at least they were something at one time. Chimaev’s done fuck all yet. It’s a fight I can see Diaz thinking there’s nothing to gain in taking.

Then again, you really never can tell with the Diaz brothers. I never would’ve thought Nate would be into fighting Leon Edwards but here we are just a couple of weeks out from that one. Fuck trying to figure out these two. 

5618EFF0-0085-430E-A3B1-1B9B6084CEB3.jpeg

I get what you’re saying but what does Diaz getting smushed by Chimaev do for Diaz’s hype? He’s been gone for a fucking age. No-one’s saying a Lawler rematch is of any significance in title pictures or anything. But after 6 years away, I think most fans just want to see him in a fun competitive fight. We don’t know how good Chimaev is yet but given his style, he more than likely squashes Diaz and that’ll be that. Diaz’s return ends up looking like Edgar vs Penn 3, Dana’s at the press conference saying he shouldn’t have booked it and everyone just wishes the whole thing never happened. A Lawler fight mightn’t set the world alight in terms of hype in 2021 but it feels like a relatively evenly matched fight at this stage, it’s got the ready made backstory of the first fight and the long journey they’ve both been on since, and stylistically it’s probably going to be entertaining to watch. If Diaz wins great, then maybe you can look at something like Chimaev or whoever. If he loses, at least you got a fun fight out of it and then maybe you can feed Lawler to Chimaev instead. I just don’t think anyone really wanted to see Diaz vs Chimaev right now. Maybe I’m wrong but when talk of Diaz fighting again started up this past week, I heard all kinds of names suggested as his comeback opponent and not once did I hear or read the name Khamzat Chimaev until one of the media asked Dana about it at the post-fight presser. 

Diaz getting smashed does nothing for Diaz's hype, but would certainly do wonders for Chimaev, so at keast youre getting that positive from it. Imagine Dana's post fight presser if Chimaev does indeed squash Diaz? Hed be going crazy on the hype train. I think it still makes more sense to do this match first. You get the intrigue of Diaz's first match back, and the result is win-win. Diaz beating a 2021 Lawler means nothing, and you run the risk of wasting the 'rub' a win over Diaz has on Lawler rather than Chimaev.

Youre right though, we shouldnt be spending so much time on whats most likely a non-starter. Even if it does happen, hes had one fight in 8 years, which is a lifetime in MMA. The hype and popularity of him must have dwindled significantly now.

• Paid Members

I think if Chimaev decisively beat Diaz you'd have Chimaev goto the next level popularity wise, and you'd have Diaz still being Nick Diaz. There'd still be good fights with Lawler, Cerrone etc. available, plus a huge fight with Masvidal. Losses never seem to hurt the Diaz boys.

You also set up a potential future bout with Chimaev/Nate. I just love the idea of Chimaev and the Diaz Brothers getting into a bit of a rivalry.

Nick Diaz. 37 years old. hasn't fought in over six years. Hasn't won a fight in almost ten years. Last win was over BJ Penn. Via Decision. A guy who proceeded to drop his next six fights, and who went to featherweight shortly after facing Diaz at welter. 

This is the dude we're all getting hyped up about? Khamzat Chimaev, along with most of the top ten at welterweight, would beat Diaz quite handily. In fact, I think Khamzat fucks him up. Bad.