Perfect Albums

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gmoney said:

agree with that in the main, that said I think Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the  Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) is a perfect album. It isn't bloated like later Wu releases, limited studio time meant the 9 members would battle rap each other to see who would get on, letting the cream (sorry) rise to the top. 

I have just listened to this this morning whilst working. I absolutely adore this album and it's a timeless classic. You're spot on about the lack of bloat compared to other Wu output when it comes to the songs. That said the killer tape skit and the interview about the meanings of all their names still have me reaching for the skip track button so I don't think it qualifies, for me.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, mim731 said:

I think of Foo Fighters as a great example of a band who I really enjoy, and who produce incredible singles, and often very good album tracks, but I'd be hard pressed to argue they've ever made a truly great album. 

I think the color and the shape is a great album, almost fit for this thread. Everything they've released in the last 20 years has been uninspired rubbish though and I'd happily never hear them again.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Don't encourage that nonsense Chest. 

anyway, 

Young people may think Red Hot Chilli peppers are just an old mainstream band that have been successful forever but when Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out they were cool as fuck and to 11 year old me the album was incredible and it's still an amazing listen today 

Guns n Roses- Appetite for Destruction - obvious choice but it is one of the best ever. Better "best of guns n roses" than their actual best of.

But then how would I tell you that I'm not sure you have the attention span to answer this question properly? Both of these albums trail off and fizzle rather than leave you wanting more. You really telling me Rocket Queen is 6 minutes of magic, and that Sir Psycho Sexy really needs to be 8 minutes long?

Also Anything Goes is total filler. 

• Paid Members

I'm a sod for debating topics like this to death in my own head, but actually, there's an out and out forerunner for me the second I saw the thread title..DEFB002214502CD.jpeg?v=1466454674

I can scarcely believe this was released in 1994.  Even now, regardless of how long between listens I can rap along almost word for word on every single track.  My benchmark, when I have a pile of ironing to get to, and don't want to risk having to manually intervene with shuffle.  I'll put this on safe in the knowledge I can go an hour without having to think about it.  Absolute class.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Guns n Roses- Appetite for Destruction - obvious choice but it is one of the best ever. Better "best of guns n roses" than their actual best of.

Even as a blinkered GNR superfan I can admit that Appetite is let down by You're Crazy. The electric version of it is rubbish.

• Paid Members

220px-LetitbleedRS.jpg

Let It Bleed has one of the greatest opening tracks of all time, one of the greatest closing tracks of all time, no filler in the middle instead pure wonderment like the song Let It Bleed and Midnight Rambler. It is simply perfect from start to finish. 

OK Computer should be on this list,  but no one can forgive "Fitter Happier" for ruining the claim, same as Pressed Rat and Warthog on Wheels of Fire.