What’s the best aquatic animal?

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I love the sea, I really love it. I’m planning to try for a PADI this year and I’m looking at a couple of marine based jobs at the moment.

On the beach the other day, I found these washed up.

Sea Gooseberries:

4BB23CAB-4034-481B-BB0D-483A78954209.thumb.jpeg.0d80a9e004b6154abc1a6d366b285760.jpeg

I’ve heard of them, but never seen them before and due to which I was really intrigued by them. Trippy little things. This is what they look like when under water. 

6352220D-E2EB-4773-83E0-90E8754D9D7F.jpeg.ae664c1eff715f9acff5c903c4dbafbb.jpeg

Anyway, this obviously leads to the question of, what is the best aquatic, or semi-aquatic animal?

There’s shite loads to choose from, but the one I obsessed over as a kid were Sailfish. It would destroy everything in a Top Trumps ‘speed’ category, fast as lightning and look like they’re wearing a headdress.

92D641BB-9050-455C-957C-B87EA983CCAA.thumb.jpeg.11a46e7852f6d5a6b17b22b96587ecc6.jpeg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

My 6yo son is studying oceans at school at the moment and has a big reference/encyclopaedia book about them that he's constantly reading and throwing 'Daddy, did you know's at me at every opportunity. He loves sea otters the most.

I'm fascinated by what you might find deep into the ocean- beyond the depths we have been able to explore to date. It's mind-blowing because there could be so much unknown life down there which we have no knowledge of. I'm also reading HG Wells' The Time Machine at the moment, so I quite often blur that and my son's oceans obsession together and start imagining Morlocks swimming at the bottom of the pacific, freaking out whenever an Angler Fish appears.

32 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

My 6yo son is studying oceans at school at the moment and has a big reference/encyclopaedia book about them that he's constantly reading and throwing 'Daddy, did you know's at me at every opportunity. He loves sea otters the most.

I'm fascinated by what you might find deep into the ocean- beyond the depths we have been able to explore to date. It's mind-blowing because there could be so much unknown life down there which we have no knowledge of. I'm also reading HG Wells' The Time Machine at the moment, so I quite often blur that and my son's oceans obsession together and start imagining Morlocks swimming at the bottom of the pacific, freaking out whenever an Angler Fish appears.

The only time I've ever known my Dad to cry was when he saw a sea otter in real life in Canada at the age of 52. The larry.

Penguins is the answer though isn't it? Best animal ever.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, that Jay White comparison is on the money.

Ugly fish are awesome, I've always had a soft spot for the toadfish (for Australian drama reasons too). I ate one at a curry house years ago, it was rank.

31044-004-B555ED8D.jpg

Archived