What’s the best aquatic animal?

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

I proudly present to you the king of the ocean, the Bony-Eared Assfish

Image result for bony eared assfish

Not only has it got the best animal name, it also has the smallest brain to weight ratio of any vertebrate. Ugly as sin, thick as mince and with a terrible name, it's got it all going on.

Look at how shit it’s tail is.

4F5E3E7E-98FE-403E-9F93-EE5D64B099CC.jpeg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

One of my favourites is the pistol shrimp! First saw it on QI. It's got one, out-sized claw that can build up an air-bubble in it, and then shoot it out with immense power at its prey to stun it. According to QI, the "bullet" can reach up to 4,000 degrees, and can enable the shrimp to smash the glass of its aquarium (not sure that's wise though).

• Paid Members

Yay, Calculon(@JLM)'s baaack!

Forgot one of my other favourites - the boxer crab! Saw it on a documentary a few months ago. This little sod basically wears stinging anemones on its claws like "cut" gloves to punch predators away. (Also, sometimes other boxer crabs fight them to nick one of their gloves, tear the poor anemone in half and wear the two halves as gloves, which will eventually grow back to full size.)

• Paid Members

It really is. I must have watched the deep sea episode of Blue Planet about 20 times and it never gets old to me. "What this is, how it behaves and why it has this thing hanging off it, we aren't quite sure". All the bio-luminescent sci fi shit they have down there absolutely blows my mind.

• Paid Members

I keep getting really excited whenever an expedition team announce they’ve added some anti-compression tech to their submarine, so are going down a big fuck off trench.

The idea of unearthing new crazy species is so fascinating. Even though the chances are the deeper they go, they’ll likely only find minuscule albino worms, I still hold out for a a giant sea rhino or similar.

5E4033E0-85BF-44C2-8169-8BE986FAFF05.jpeg

Archived