Six Degrees of Jerry Lawler

BomberPat

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

If we're counting actual competitive wrestlers, does anyone know what Roland Bock's number is? Googled him, but only his German page comes up, and ich kenne keine Deutsche.

Roland Bock has faced Fujinami and Andre The Giant, so he would have a Lawler number of 2!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Tried to see how far back in time I could go. Can anyone get a reduction on a 5 for Farmer Burns (born 1860) or similar 19th century wrestler?

Farmer Burns > Stanislaus Zbyszko > Wee Willie Davis > Killer Kowalski > Tojo Yamamoto > Jerry Lawler.

I was trying to do the same with Frank Gotch, but he wrestled Thesz, so that puts him at 2, I think.

EDIT: Seems Farmer Burns wrestled Gotch, so that would put him at 3?

• Paid Members

I don't think I've found anyone yet that's more than a 3, 4 at a push, without digging way back. I could get to Lawler in 3 or 4 from Gorgeous George and from Jim Londos, and hadn't really dug much further back than that. If you can get there from Farmer Burns, that's pretty much going to tie up most of the 20th Century!

Johnny Saint can get there via Daniel Bryan, which puts him at a 2, and opens up most World of Sport era British lightweights that might not have also been covered by Big Daddy, as well as opening up more connections worldwide via his run in Michinoku Pro, and a step removed from Finlay, Dave Taylor, Dynamite Kid, Satoru Sayama etc. 

The most obscure I can think of is to go for, for example, the Chinese wrestlers in OWE, most of whom don't even have a Cagematch profile. But then the majority of them have only had a handful of matches, and even then, some of them can be connected via Bandido & Flamita to Pentagon/Fenix to Joey Ryan to Jerry Lawler, or via CIMA to Rey Mysterio Jr to any number of people who have faced Lawler.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Tried to see how far back in time I could go. Can anyone get a reduction on a 5 for Farmer Burns (born 1860) or similar 19th century wrestler?

Farmer Burns > Stanislaus Zbyszko > Wee Willie Davis > Killer Kowalski > Tojo Yamamoto > Jerry Lawler.

I'm presently only working off Cagematch, as boredom at work will take me that far, but not as far as digging through the archives, and Cagematch isn't great at historical results.

Farmer Burns can also get you to Ed "Strangler" Lewis, and if we count managers in this, then it's as simple as Farmer Burns > Ed Lewis > Lou Thesz > Jerry Lawler. Stanislaus Zbyszko also connects you to Frank Gotch, which means that even Gotch and Hackenschmidt are at worst a Lawler number of 5.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

What about that little blue monkey?

Kemonito > Guapito > Mascarita Sagrada > Octagoncito > Rey Misterio Jr > Daniel Bryan > Jerry Lawler

So that's five, though it's a circuitous route, and may well be able to cut out at least two links in there if I had more time, and if I could be certain which Mascarita Sagrada was involved, there's potential to cut it down to three for sure.

• Paid Members

Trying to dig into non-wrestlers who have only had single digit number of matches...

Mauro Ranallo > Timothy Flowers > Bad News Allen > Bret Hart > Jerry Lawler
Gene Okerlund > Daniel Bryan (!) > Jerry Lawler
Grant Holt > Sweet Saraya > Joey Ryan > Jerry Lawler
Dave Benson-Phillips > Martina > Joey Ryan > Jerry Lawler

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Frank Gotch died when Lou Thesz was one year old. 

36 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Oh, Bombcar!

I mis-read his Wiki article! There was something about a wrestler called Ad Santel being paid to break Hackenschmidt's legs for his match with Gotch, but it seems he was telling this story to Thesz much later. I mis-read it as a beef.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

I'm also a two via Daniel Bryan, thanks to Brian Dixon. 

Considering you are well known on here as the King Of Shitting Wrongly it comes as a surprise to no one that you are at number 2, probably directly into his crown while facing the wrong way. 

Archived