Six Degrees of Jerry Lawler

BomberPat

• Paid Members

Following on from the Jerry Lawler topic, he's the perfect baseline for a "six degrees of separation" game in wrestling. A man who's fought everyone from Lou Thesz to Joey Ryan, Harley Race to Kevin Owens, Tatsumi Fujinami to Michael Cole, Bret Hart to Daniel Bryan, Billy Graham to James Ellsworth.

So, being in a match with Jerry Lawler earns you a Lawler Number of 1. Being in a match with someone who has been in a match with Lawler is a Lawler Number of 2, and so on.

What are some fun, and potentially unexpected, links? Joey Ryan means that Session Moth Martina has a Lawler Number of 2, for example. If we count refereeing matches, I have a Lawler number of 2!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about Big Daddy and various UK stars but of course Jim "Kamala" Harris wrestled both Lawler and Daddy so he'd be the key link there. Brian Christopher wrestled Ulf Hermann at FWA Revival so he'd be a link between the newer British stars and Lawler. Lawler did (I think) one tour each with both AJPW and NJPW in the 80s  so that's most of Japan taken care of. Mexico might be a bit harder to do shorter links, Lawler wrestled Hector Guerrero in the 70s, but he wasn't really a star in Lucha Libre. He also wrestled Mil Mascaras in Memphis but there's some conjecture that it might have been a fake Mascaras. I'd be surprised if there's any wrestler in the world with more than 3 years of working under their belt with a "Lawler number" greater than 4.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Lucha is his missing link - he doesn't seem to have ever worked Mexico. But, again, via Mil Mascaras you can reach most of the big name "classic" luchadores. And while the Mascaras that did a stretcher job in Memphis might have not been the real deal, he and Lawler wrestled to a draw in Dallas, and both entered the 1997 Royal Rumble, so we've still got him there, with the '97 Rumble also connecting him to other AAA names. 

The Joey Ryan match also keeps Lawler only a step removed from Lucha Underground, so that will connect him to a lot of the present day lucha scene.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Fuck Jerry, you're both incredibly lucky to have shared a ring with Roberts. 

I worked with him a fair bit during my sojourn in BritWres - as a heel manager in IPW:UK (I'm almost certain he was the ref for my personal highlight in management, when Vampiro hit me with the Nail In The Coffin), as a ring announcer in SAS, and as a jobber in a tinpot promotion.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

Even Alexander Karelin (legendary Russian amateur wrestler who had exactly one pro-wrestling match) only has a Lawler number of 3. Karelin wrestled Akira Maeda, Maeda wrested Dutch Mantell (in the original Japanese UWF), Mantell wrestled Lawler hundreds of times.

If we're counting actual competitive wrestlers, does anyone know what Roland Bock's number is? Googled him, but only his German page comes up, and ich kenne keine Deutsche.

31 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

If we're counting actual competitive wrestlers, does anyone know what Roland Bock's number is? Googled him, but only his German page comes up, and ich kenne keine Deutsche.

I think there's mention in Lawler's book of a Lawler vs Inoki match in NJPW. Roland Bock wrestled Inoki. If I'm wrong about the Lawler vs Inoki match, they both wrestled Ric Flair. So either 2 or 3 for Bock.

Archived