RIP Mean Gene Okerlund

The Reverend

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He was great. How many times has he had to get some coked up superstar back on track during a segment? He was a brilliant straight man, obviously had a good mind for the business and knew how to get someone or something over. 

This was his brilliance. WWE interviewers now just say "joining me now, my guest at this time..." then maybe ask one question before standing there like a mannequin and letting the wrestler cut a promo, but Gene was a director. If someone's promo wasn't working, or they'd veered off-topic, he'd bring them back around. If a key point wasn't given enough emphasis, he'd repeat it for effect.

Some of the best promos of the era wouldn't have been half as good without Mean Gene to beat them into shape - to say nothing of the experience gained from recording countless pre-taped promos for different local markets, one after the other.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Despite being a fantastic interviewer and mouthpiece, Gene always had that air of authority about him. For such a unimposing little man, he came off as someone to be respected backstage and didn't take any shit when being potentially threatened. Not something you see much of these days.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This was his brilliance. WWE interviewers now just say "joining me now, my guest at this time..." then maybe ask one question before standing there like a mannequin and letting the wrestler cut a promo, but Gene was a director. If someone's promo wasn't working, or they'd veered off-topic, he'd bring them back around. If a key point wasn't given enough emphasis, he'd repeat it for effect.

Some of the best promos of the era wouldn't have been half as good without Mean Gene to beat them into shape - to say nothing of the experience gained from recording countless pre-taped promos for different local markets, one after the other.

I forget who said it, possibly Corny, but it's the difference between acting and reacting. The guys today just recite lines. Gene got something up and running and reacted appropriately and within character.

Genuinely gutted! 

Legit 1 off - best at what he did ever! 

Have to go back and watch the "hulk train vino" skits

For some reason seeing the diminutive gene shaking and struggling to move a whisker up bleachers with a 320lb roided to the hilt Hulkster clung to his back never ceases to bring a smile to my face. 

Hulk really beasted him here! 

https://youtu.be/1e3xF_A7S64

• Paid Members

An absolute titan of the game, who had an incredible skill at doing a job way more important than many fans will have ever given him credit for.

RIP Mean Gene, for we have you to thank for an incredible amount of hours of enjoyment, laughter and craziness over the years.

• Paid Members

Hulk will be on RAW to pay tribute to Mean Gene.

https://www.wwe.com/amp/shows/raw/2019-01-07/article/hulk-hogan-return-honor-mean-gene-okerlund?__twitter_impression=true

They cover the genesis of the Mean Gene moniker. I also remember Jesse calling him scheme Gene. is there any information on how that name came about?

Mattie wrote a nice piece about Mean Gene.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/other-sports/natalya-neidhart-mean-gene-okerlund-had-fun-while-making-everyone-appear-larger-than-life/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Mean Gene tribute on the Network is a fun half hour. Skirts over his time in WCW a bit as they're wont to do but he does talk about it as the best thing he could have done as opposed to your Bobby Heenans. Interesting footage of Gene and Savage preparing a promo.

I did chuckle at Michael Cole saying "If it wasn't for Mean Gene, I wouldn't be in WWE now" as I imagine everyone watching it just screaming "you bastard Okerlund!"

• Paid Members

Fine little half an hour. Makes you think what is in that vault that we'll never see, because this company seemed to tape everything! Really showcased Gene's talent in a wonderful way. His chemistry with Hogan, Savage and Flair especially would get the 5 star treatment if one was to rate that type of thing.

Bollocks to the part where they said "Gene would never try and steal the limelight." That's exactly what Gene did! His attitude was always, if you cant keep you then go fuck yourself. And thankfully, back in the cartoon era, there was a lot of people who could keep up. And that wasnt a bad thing. Gene was a good character, so people seemed more than happy for him to get his shit in.

Archived