RIP Mean Gene Okerlund

The Reverend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Loved Mean Gene. He was the first backstage announcer that I think a lot of people gave a toss about as kids growing up, at least I did this side of the pond when WCW used to replace Cartoon Network on the satalite in the evenings. Played the role perfectly too - a voice of reason amongst the chaos. 

One bit that sticks in my mind the most and is usually the one that pops in my head first is when Earthquake had injured Hogan and Mean Gene had to stop his piece to camera because he was so cut up about it.  He was part of wrestling and why I loved it to begin with.

• Paid Members

He was great. How many times has he had to get some coked up superstar back on track during a segment? He was a brilliant straight man, obviously had a good mind for the business and knew how to get someone or something over. 

• Paid Members

This one took the wind out of my sails for a few minutes when I heard. He was getting on and for several years I'd been surprised he was still knocking out work for WWE - his links for Story Time were obviously filler but for me enhanced a fairly harmless little time killer of a show thanks to Gene's timeless "nice uncle" voice. To paraphrase Toast, halfway between gravel and gravy.

Gene was a mainstay of the WWF for those lovely years between the mid 80s and 1993 where PPVs got added, people shuffled up and down the card and talent came and went, but the presentation barely changed from one Silver Vision tape to another. Gene and Sean Mooney did the interviews, you knew where you stood. It's obviously just nostalgia but there was something so much more "big deal" about cutting to a resplendently dressed man conducting a scheduled interview, asking the questions and holding the mic in front of the wrestler's mouth to see what he has to say, than the wrestler just hopping into the ring because they feel like it and rattling off their script. Gene was excellent in his reactionary quips, and when I saw Mania VI (my first tape) I liked him instantly. Despite WCWs best efforts, I never stopped liking him. Although maybe that's harsh, him getting sleazed on by Woman was always brilliant.

The best at what he did, a role that I really miss. Rest in peace, Meaaaaaaan - WHOOO! My God! - Gene!

Sad loss, one of my favourite aspects of WWF programming as a child was watching Gene doing the PPV reports, in which he would run down the card, announce new matches etc.

Two of my favourite promos involved Gene, Ric Flair's Royal Rumble 92' and Hulk Hogan's heel turn at Bash At The Beach. Recently, I have enjoyed his narrative on Storytime on WWE Network. 

If Heaven/afterlife etc. exists, I would like to think Gorillia and Bobby have just welcomed Gene to the commentary booth.

RIP Gene. 

• Paid Members

I'll always remember his characters in the WWF Superstars and WWF Wrestlefest games fondly. Just a great performer that added something special whenever he was on screen. They had better give him a top notch tribute.

18188-WWF_WrestleFest_(US_set_1)-1486896466.png

wwfs5.jpg

• Paid Members

Gene had this respect, tenure, experience and all kinds of other qualties that nobody could even dream of. His only criticism was that he would sometimes come across as very car salesman like, but its not like he was hosting Question Time. His pervy, wink at the camera, shocked at anything a heel would do style was just amazing to watch on a pro wrestling show. He's such a massive character. And you couldnt imagine him taking any shit, which is what was always funny about him. He'd never have done the stuff JR did. George Steele and Fuji picked on him and he got in the ring with them. And whipped their arse! Imagine him being put in a position like Ross did, where Triple H legit broke his arm? Fuck that. Gene's not taking that shite.

The biggest compliment you can give Mean Gene was that he is parodied by everyone. If you see a wrestling skit on SNL or something, the stereotypical host is pretty much Mean Gene under a different name. Also, the best thing in Repossessed and Ready To Rumble. Which isnt saying much, granted, but if the show is there to steal, he's taking it!

You got to have a ten bell salute for Gene dont you? I know he isnt active and only under a legends deal, but its fucking Mean Gene!

Archived