2018 MMA Nominations

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

We've had 2018's last PPV, so nominations are now open for the UKFF Awards 2018!

You can nominate until New Year's Day, at which point I'll launch the voting proper.

If your nominations change between now and then due to anything great happening, please post your changes in a separate post, otherwise I'll probably miss them.

Please nominate up to three choices for each of the following awards, clearly stating the specific award your nominations are for.

If you want to give reasons or arguments why you've made your picks, please do.

Best MMA fighter

Best MMA event

Best MMA fight

Rising Star - this is a new award to celebrate the fighters who are destined to become the big names of the future

• Paid Members

Best MMA fighter

Daniel Cormier, Israel Adesanya, Khabib Nurmagomedov.

DC is the clear cut winner for me, con-current two weight champ, and successfully defending both titles in the same year, whilst beating one of the two men thought to have been the UFC HW Goat. 

Adesanya went from strength to strength, getting better each time we got to see him, and Khabib dealt with the fight week from hell to win a 50-43 shutout against Iaquinta to bring some solidity to the LW title situation, whilst mopping the floor with Conor McGregor at the end of the year. 

Best MMA event

UFC 228, UFC 229, UFC 230. 

Best MMA fight

Robert Whittaker Vs Yoel Romero II, Justin Gaethje Vs Dustin Poirier, Tony Ferguson Vs Anthony Pettis. 

There are loads of potential candidates for this section though, and it seems crazy to not be nominating Poirier Vs Alvarez, Zombie Vs Yair and Jacare Vs Weidman/Gastelum, Holloway Vs Ortega, Santos/Manuwa probably belongs in the contenders too, but I haven't seen it yet. 

Rising Star - Israel Adesanya, Aaron Pico and Zabit Magomedsharipov.

Edited by WeeAl

Best MMA fighter: Daniel Cormier, Max Holloway, Gegard Mousasi

Best MMA event: UFC 229

Best MMA fight: Ferguson vs Pettis, Gaethje Vs Poirier, Max vs Ortega

Rising Star: Aaron Pico, Israel Adesanya, Zabit Magomedsharipov

Edited by jimufctna24

Best MMA Fighter: Daniel Cormier, Israel Adesanya, Dustin Poirer.

Best MMA Event: UFC 229. UFC 228, UFC 221.

Best MMA Fight: Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega, Dustin Poirer vs Justin Gaethje, Stipe Miocic vs Daniel Cormier.

Rising Star: Israel Adesanya, Zabit Magomedsharipov, Kamaru Usman.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Awards Moderator

Just to point out on here, I don't know anything about MMA, so if you want your nominations to count, I'll need to know who 'DC' and 'Max' and 'Mousasi' are - and the first names of all these people in fights I've never heard of. Unless they're all 'one name only' Pele types I'm going to struggle - MMA fans, I need your help here!

Edit: thanks fellas!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• 2 weeks later...

Best MMA Fighter: Daniel Cormier, Israel Adesanya, Amanda Nunes, 

Best MMA Event: UFC 229, UFC 230, UFC 231

Best MMA Fight: Dustin Poirier v Justin Gaethje, Yair Rodriquez v Korean Zombie, Max Holloway v Brian Ortega

Rising Star: Israel Adesanya, Zabit Magomedsharipov, Petr Yan.

• Paid Members

Best MMA Fighter:
Daniel Cormier - No brainer. Became a legit double champ by knocking out Stipe, who many were calling the best HW ever. Defended the LHW title at the start of the year by demolishing the dangerous 'No Time'.
Amanda Nunes - Again, became a two-weight division champion. Did so by knocking out Cyborg, who many were calling the best female fighter ever. Now Nunes takes that title.
Henry Cejudo - Olympic gold good. Cejudo was the man to finally end the reign of a midget many were calling the best fighter ever.

Best MMA Event:
UFC 229
UFC 231
UFC 223

Best MMA Fight:
Dustin Poirier v Justin Gaethje (UFC on Fox 29)
Yair Rodriquez v Korean Zombie (UFC Fight Night 139)
Chris Weidman v Jacare Souza (UFC 230)

Rising Star:
Israel Adesanya - I saw MMA's future and its name is Israel Adesanya.
Zabit Magomedsharipov

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Best MMA Fighter: 

1) Daniel Cormier - Defended the light heavyweight strap in January, schooling and stopping KO artist Volkan Oezdemir. Went up to heavyweight in July and became the double champ, doing what nobody thought he could do and beating the most successful heavyweight champ in UFC history Stipe Miocic by first round KO. Defended that belt in November at MSG, submitting Derrick Lewis and saving the 230 PPV in the process. Without the Stipe win he wouldn’t be here granted, but that win was massive. And regardless of the gulf in skills, he did defend both divisions belts in 2018. Only man to ever do that. 

2) Khabib Nurmagomedov - Made McGregor not only tap but actually break mentally mid-fight (“it’s only business”) in probably the biggest fight of the year in October. On top of that, his performance against Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn in April was outstanding given the circumstances and how chaotic that fight week was. He had the single most fucked up, disruptive fight week ever and still managed to win a shut-out against a tough as nails and underrated stud in Raging Al. 

3) Amanda Nunes - Last night’s 51 seconds alone got her here. Double champ, first female to ever achieve that, and knocks out fucking Cyborg to do it! Best of all time. Add to that her complete mauling of Raquel Pennington at 135, one of the worst beatings of the year. That’s two stellar but very different performances at two different weight classes in one year. Huge year for the Lioness. 

Best MMA Event:

1) UFC 229: Khabib vs McGregor - Obviously the main event was huge. You also had a FOTY contender in the co-main in Ferguson vs Pettis. Derrick Lewis pulling a third round KO out of his arse against Volkov, then cutting the promo of the year post-fight. And Dominick Reyes and Aspen Ladd putting in eye-opening shifts and marking themselves out as hot prospects for 2019. 

2) UFC 231: Holloway vs Ortega - A great main event and one of the most incredible performances of the year from Max Holloway. Valentina Shevchenko finally becoming champion with an excellent win over Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Thiago Santos and Jimi Manuwa having a crazy video game style brawl. Gunnar Nelson turning Alex Oliveira and the canvas red. And Aleksandar Rakic continuing his climb up the 205 ladder. 

3) UFC 232: Jones vs Gustafsson 2 - Monster rematch in the main event. Loads of controversy going in and the event being moved from Vegas to California literally days before the show. A decisive finish to the Jones-Gus rivalry. A batshit co-headliner of Cyborg vs Nunes, with Nunes shocking the world. Lots of finishes. Chiesa’s brutal kimura thingy on Condit, Ryan Hall leglocking BJ Penn in a round, Megan Anderson nearly toeing Cat Zingano’s eye out. Up and comers like Wood, Millender and Yan all shining on the prelims. And a tremendous Volkanovski vs Mendes fight. Just a great show. Probably my #1 for 2018. 

Best MMA Fight: 

1) Dustin Poirier vs Justin Gaethje (UFC on FOX - April) - Just wall to wall violence. How it went into the 4th round I’ll never know. These guys are known for having FOTY contenders and I’d say this was both men’s best fight. That says it all about how good this was. 

2) Yair Rodriguez vs Korean Zombie (UFC 25th Anniversay Fight Night - November) - Another wild fight. Really entertaining to watch. The finish is what really takes it over the edge though. Zombie is winning, he’s ahead on the scorecards and it’s the last round. He’s going to win a decision. Then in the last second of the last round, in the main event of the 25th anniversary show, Yair Rodriguez pulls out an absolutely mental ducking backwards elbow uppercut thingybob and wipes the Zombie out. Maddest finish I’ve ever seen. 4:59 of the 5th round, from the very jaws of defeat! 

3) Amanda Nunes vs Cris Cyborg (UFC 232 - December) - I’ve said enough about this one. It’s only 51 seconds long but I can’t not nominate it. The drama, the excitement, the finish, the post-fight celebrations. The whole thing is just incredible to watch. 

Rising Star: 

1) Israel Adesanya - I think this man is going to be on everyone’s shortlist. He should be. He went 3-0 in 2018. A decision over Marvin Vettori in April and another over Brad Tavares in July. I had a few little doubts still though. They were erased when he waltzed in and breezed through Derek Brunson like he was Duane Gill. Brunson was the big step up, the first proper test, and Adesanya wrecked him. Anderson Silva awaits him in February in what is pretty much going to be like a Dad vs Son fight. Got a feeling 2019’s going to be a big year for Adesanya. 

2) Zabit Magomedsharipov - I love this oddball. Zabit went 2-0 this year with wins over Kyle Bochniak in April and Brandon Davis in September. The Bochniak fight was really fun, Zabit’s wacky offence combined with Bochniak’s toughness and refusal to back down made it so enjoyable to watch. Then the Davis fight, Zabit wins with a nasty modified kneebar. A good year for ZM Punk. He’s been a highlight of every card I’ve seen him on and I think he’s got so much potential going forward. With 2 or 3 more wins I could see him knocking on the door of title contention by this time next year. 

3) Tatiana Suarez - Probably not a name most will think of but I think Suarez will be in the title picture in 2019 and might even bloody win the thing. She’s unbeaten at 7-0 with 5 finishes. 4-0 in the UFC. Won TUF. She’s 2-0 this year and finished both fights. Derailed the Alexa Grasso hype train in May, submitting her in under 3 minutes. Then totally schooled and TKOd former champ Carla Esparza in September. A performance that had many calling her the female Khabib. Oh and she beat cancer. She’s fucking badass. Her against Rose Namajunas or Jessica Andrade in 2019 are both fascinating title fights. And I think she’s got a solid chance against either now, and she’s only going to get better. 

Edited by wandshogun09