What did you want to be when you grew up?

HarmonicGenerator

I didn't even get a careers meeting or questionnaire. The notion that schools might even pretend to care what becomes of their students once they're out the door is strange and novel to me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Recently, my sister saw at her boyfriend's place a really old piece of his schoolwork from primary school that his mum had kept; she sent me a pic of it. It was a "What do you want to do when you grow up?" piece, for which they had to write down what it was, and draw a picture of it.

He'd written down "raper", and drawn a picture of what looked like a pharaoh. 

According to him, he was confused when the teacher took him aside to rather sternly ask him what it was; his confusion was even greater at her bursting out laughing when it turned out he meant he wanted to be a rapper. 

He was never able to explain why he drew a pharaoh, though.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

You've just described the single biggest disappointment of secondary school for me.

At primary school, I loved geography. Studying maps, learning about different countries and cultures etc. The thing I was looking forward to the most at secondary school was 2 hours a week just studying geography, I was so excited. It turned out to be 2 hours a week for 3 years of fucking sedimentary rocks and other such bollocks. It was boring as fuck and actually closer to GEOLOGY. They need to split that shit out and lump it under science.

Yeah, we went on a geography field trip when I was 13 and spent almost the whole time inspecting gorges and identifying different types of rock. Not what I signed up for.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Recently, my sister saw at her boyfriend's place a really old piece of his schoolwork from primary school that his mum had kept; she sent me a pic of it. It was a "What do you want to do when you grow up?" piece, for which they had to write down what it was, and draw a picture of it.

He'd written down "raper", and drawn a picture of what looked like a pharaoh. 

According to him, he was confused when the teacher took him aside to rather sternly ask him what it was; his confusion was even greater at her bursting out laughing when it turned out he meant he wanted to be a rapper. 

He was never able to explain why he drew a pharaoh, though.

Pharaohe Monch? 

When I was a kid I wanted to be a bus driver, to my Mum's chagrin (probably because the guy that sired me was a bus driver and got up to goodness knows what on his travels) then an archaeologist briefly. At one point I wanted to do the whole music thing, and it'd be ace if I could after having done some gigging and the likes in Uni when I studied music, but we never managed to hit paydirt as anything other than an entertainingly bad covers band. 

I work in a warehouse now after about 15 years of working in various call centres and my lady having had cancer a few years back. Is good. Keeps me plenty busy. Not a lot of human interaction involved, or at least not customers per se. I'm challenging myself to see how far I can try and go and develop myself.

• Paid Members

I had the same tale of woe with Geography. We got shipped up the Shropshire during a weather front that Noah would have said 'nah, it's a bit wet mate' about. 

Two days of walking up mountains in cataclysmic rain and measuring rocks, and writing the measurements down on paper that was turning into mulch by the second. All of my measurements were completely useless for my coursework because the paper dissolved and I made everything up. We came across a crippled sheep that had fallen from a ledge and Mr Parr told us to walk down the road as he performed a mercy killing on it. 

I don't think there was anything in particular I wanted to be growing up, more just little things I had interest in at the time, so in my younger years it would be a train/bus driver, then something football related and then IT related when computers (especially the internet) came about in the late 90's. 

Whilst my career is not exactly on those paths, I have worked in a temp IT based role (turned down a permanent offer) and at a football club in a not so much big roles but roles that I am happy I got the chance to do given I had no qualifications or experience in such roles.

I think when I am older I could be a bus driver for a couple of years just to tick it off the list, so I am happy with those little wins in my life.

The other thing I would have probably loved to have done was be an F1 Driver so maybe getting involved in Go-Karting or something could be fun...life eh?

• Awards Moderator

I never had any idea what I wanted to do. I would say "pilot" when asked because it's a question society demands 9 year olds have answers to, like "what's your favourite colour?" (Who needs a favourite colour to validate their existence?). To compile this, my A levels were split 50/50 humanities and sciences. The definition of indecisive. 

I still don't know, really. Like Carbomer I'm 39 and while I have a job I've just monkey-swung from tree to next appealing looking tree. I've been doing career coaching through my current work and it's fucking agony, he asks questions about 5 year plans etc and I just can't do it. It's a useful exercise and it has helped me understand what I don't want from a career. 

But yeah. I dunno. Pipedream lottery stuff? I'd open a deli, but only with the safety net of infinite money. 

Archived