What did you want to be when you grew up?

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My parents told me I was once asked what I wanted to be when I grew up and I responded by saying I wanted to be a bin man as people might throw loads of diamonds in the bin then I'd be rich. 

I now work for a skip company so I guess I'm living the dream. Still not found them diamonds though.

• Paid Members

When I was in primary school I was obsessed with books and reading fiction, so decided I wanted to be an author. Wrote a few short stories and can remember my headmistress being really supportive and telling me she knew one day she'd buy a novel written by me. Daft old get. A few years into secondary school we got internet at home and I hardly read anymore, so the author dream just disappeared.

Then when I was around 15/16, wrestling was the next big dream. Actually trained for around a year to 18 months when I was 17/18, but I realised it was full of pricks. Blokes in their 30s/40s telling me I'd never make it because I'm too small, or telling me I can't wear a mask because I'm not Mexican (??). I think I wrestled on around 3 shows, and there was so much fucking politics and backstabbing at each show, the enthusiasm just got drove out of me. I really wished I had persevered because I think I could've been half-decent, and now at 27 it's probably not too late for me to have another go at it. The British scene in particular certainly seems a lot more positive and less shit-arse than it was 10 years ago. But I'd hate to go back and realise that nothing has really changed and the locker-rooms are still full of man-babies who don't want anybody else to succeed. 

59 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

I now work for a skip company so I guess I'm living the dream. Still not found them diamonds though.

It's a long shot, but wait till more of these failed actors are tossing out their period costumes, and have a good rummage in the folds of one of these.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

It's a long shot, but wait till more of these failed actors are tossing out their period costumes, and have a good rummage in the folds of one of these.

I've always wanted my own ruff! We did get a flatbed full of zimmer frames come in other week which was pretty good.

• Paid Members

When I was a kid I wanted to be a footballer (wasn't any good as a kid), cartoonist (was ok at best) or wrestler (well, I did achieve this one, for 10 years or so).

When I was a teenager I wanted to be an actor, but I flunked my A-Levels so my mum told me "you can forget about drama school after wasting two years of your life and you can go and get a fackin' job now". So I did, and fulfilled my real lifelong ambition of working in property management.

I'm reaching a point where I think I need to do something pretty drastic with my life career-wise, something in a field I'm massively passionate about- football. Even if it's just in my spare time for now to get my foot in whichever door I choose, build up experience & knowledge and then we'll see what happens. The question is, what can I do or offer in terms of football? @tiger_rick no-sold my idea of us having our own football analytics and data business (which is becoming oversaturated anyway) and there's no realistic chance of getting into sports journalism, so that's two doors closed.

I've been helping out the coach for my son's football team lately and I definitely now want to get my coaching badges. I think this has helped me find what my purpose one day will be- opening a football academy. Something I feel very passionate about, but I know it'll be a very long journey to get there.

• Paid Members

I wanted to be a cartographer.

When I was a kid I was really interested in maps and atlases and geography. Then I went to grammar school and they started throwing all this shit in about mountains and scree and other stuff that I didn't care about. Also, I realised I couldn't draw. So that was the end of that.

I still remember most capital cities and the world's longest rivers though.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I wanted to be a cartographerďťż.

When I was a kid I was really interested in maps and atlases and geography. Then I went to grammar school and they started throwing all this shit in about mountains and scree and other stuff that I didn't care about. Also, I realised I couldn't draw. So that was the end of that.

You've just described the single biggest disappointment of secondary school for me.

At primary school, I loved geography. Studying maps, learning about different countries and cultures etc. The thing I was looking forward to the most at secondary school was 2 hours a week just studying geography, I was so excited. It turned out to be 2 hours a week for 3 years of fucking sedimentary rocks and other such bollocks. It was boring as fuck and actually closer to GEOLOGY. They need to split that shit out and lump it under science.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The Maestro said:

My parents told me I was once asked what I wanted to be when I grew up and I responded by saying I wanted to be a bin man as people might throw loads of diamonds in the bin then I'd be rich. 

I know work for a skip company so I guess I'm living the dream. Still not found them diamonds though.

I currently work in insurance and we get no end of folk claiming for lost stones out of jewellery, sometimes diamonds worth thousands. No doubt they end up stuck in the sole of someone's shoe, kicked down a drain, or swept up and sent to landfill.

Either that or a street sweeper somewhere is racking up a fucker of a retirement fund.

As my earliest TV and film memories were either sci-fi or superheroes, the first thing I ever imagined me being when I grew up was a hero. Fighting bad guys, rescuing princesses, swinging across chasms on ropes, all that stuff.

Once I reached school age I went through the usual gamut of wanting to be a policeman, fireman, teacher, doctor, astronaut, etc.

It was when I about 9 or 10 that I realised I wanted to be a musician (ie: pop star). Back then I could only play the piano, but I still knew that the guitar was cooler. There was a brief period around this time that I wanted to move to America and become a wrestler, but then I came to the soul shattering realisation that it was fake after all. I never went full on into doing music professionally though as I was constantly told it was a hobby and not a career by teachers and they'd try and steer me toward other things. Cunts.

Never really had a massive drive to do a dream job (ballerina, pop star etc) I was good in school academically, though didn’t have the confidence/social skills to back it up- so sort of knew I’d be stuck doing something dull!

That said, all I ever wanted to do was live in America.  And my boring job in a bank enabled me to get visa and green card sponsorship to come and work here- so in that sense, I am absolutely living my dream! 

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I never really wanted to be anything when I was a child, so at least that worked out.  I was made to feel like shit for it though, my brother knew from an early age that he wanted to be a carpenter, to the point where his GCSE options were chosen around it.  Even in careers class I said I didn't know what I wanted to be and didn't have a passion for a career path.  I was made to feel abnormal and wouldn't amount to anything. 

I'm glad someone else said it first. When you're a kid, work is just something that grown-ups do, isn't it? Then one day you're suddenly not a kid the only careers 'advice' you've been given tells you to be a gardener or florist or insurance broker or fashion designer or (perish the thought) teacher because your responses broke all the questionnaires they gave you, or to look for vocational courses in languages which didn't – and still don't – exist, so that eureka moment where you start to put together a career plan is never going to arrive.

And somewhere between the ages of 18 and 34 (but sadly far too close to the latter) you finally figure out that it's absurd that some people think there should be any shame or guilt in that and you finally stop caring about their opinion. But at this point you still aren't earning enough money to live independently and that part's crap.

On my GCSE options form there was a box at the bottom into which we were supposed to write our 'likely career'. My best guess at the time? 'Couch potato'. I think I've lived down to those expectations over the past two decades quite nicely actually.

• Awards Moderator

The careers survey we took at high school told me I should be a fishmonger. Nothing against fishmonging but I couldn’t think of a less appropriate job for me! My careers advice meeting was no better.

”what do you want to do for a career?”

”I don’t know, that’s why I’m here”

”if you don’t know what you want to do already we can’t help you”

”...”

Archived