Acts of kindness. A UKFF feel good thread.

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

Being the soppy shite that I am, I quite enjoy reading/seeing random acts of kindness. Reddit is pretty great for these types of things and I stumbled across a video the other day of a school caretaker being surprised by an assembly of kids who just wanted to thank him for the job he does for them... Water works. 

Made me think back to last year. We had a new cleaner in the office. A Polish lady who works her socks off everyday. I don't think she speaks much English but she will always politely greet you as she hoovers around your desk, but never deters from her work. Always flat out scrubbing and clearing up our mess. Always with a smile. 

Anyways, her hard work didn't go unnoticed and towards the end of the year, the office had a massive whip round for her and we ended up collecting much more than we'd normally do for staff birthdays etc. 

I won't forget her face when my colleague called her over a few days later. She must have thought she'd done a bad job that Morning as she looked terrified. My colleague gave her a hug, thanked her and presented her with a card and the cash. The Cleaner just burst out crying, hugged my colleague and continued to cry more as did many of us in the office. Many thanks you's were given and it was so clear how much she appreciated the gesture. Throughly warmed the office cockles that day. 

Nothing quite like knowing that something you've done means that much to someone else. 

UKFF/PeopleBeingBros. 

• Paid Members

Late last, year one of the regular Big Issue sellers in Bath had his treasured Liverpool scarf nicked shortly before Christmas by some twat. Through a combination of getting the local paper on board and general online activism (an occasion where social media has been good), the bloke ended up with several brand new scarves and tickets to a bunch of Bath City football games and Bath Rugby games too. Really lovely story and he was a great chap. 

Sadly, in the process of digging up the original article on this, I found out that he recently passed away which is horrible. If/when I get a Big Issue, I tend to always buy from someone in another part of Bath, but must have said 'hi' to this guy 100 times while crossing the bridge he worked on. Always friendly and once saved a couple of people who fell into the river near where he stood. Great chap. 

• Paid Members

i think i saw the video you speak of Silk, was it the guy they raised money for so he could go on holiday?

the thread immediately think of this though, i think it applies, its been posted here before:

just fans thanking John Cena for inspiring them over the years, ive watched it a few times and it always gets to me.

• Moderators

Half the 'inspirational' videos you see now are just examples of how completely fucked and broken we are as a society. "Heartwarming viral video shows schoolkids clubbing together to buy janitor first holiday in 50 years!" - yeah, the poor cunt hasn't been able to afford a day off for decades. "Your faith will be restored by this hard-working 6-year-old selling lemonade to save for his college fund!" - great, an actual child who's already worrying about the crippling cost of education. "85 year old man walks 6 miles to and from work every day! This will inspire you!" etc etc etc

I'm sure this isn't fitting with the tone of this feelgood thread, but I really take issue in general with the way every act of kindness has to be turned into some massive viral story, when you've got pricks filming themselves buying a homeless man a meal for clicks, and anyone who so much as soothes a crying baby on a plane or helps a stranger change a tire has to be tracked down by the media to give an interview about it as they're scattered with rose petals. If anything, this just solidifies the idea that such acts are extraordinary, and it's not a normal, natural thing to just be nice to people or help them out.

• Paid Members

And I typed that "Niagra Falls, Frankie Baby" line just for you, SickWoy.

Don't disagree with what you're saying. The majority of stuff you see is solely done for the likes and ego rub as you mention. My initial post probably reeks of it. But Genuinely, these things get me in the feels (probably says more about my head than anything else) and I thought this thread would be a nice idea. 

I always get a lift from things connected with this place.  Such as when someone is looking for advice (me a lot of the time) and people go out of their way to help them because they have knowledge in the subject and because they're nice.

I'm currently enjoying "Rick's Baking Odyssey", I love the encouragement and advice he is getting, and I love seeing the progression of his skills.  Bombcar has been inspired to try his hand and I think that's absolutely great. I've been the recipient of advice in the Photography thread and while I'm an enthusiastic amateur, I think I'm better at it now than I was and that's thanks to the advice, help and encouragement from here.

1 minute ago, W35ty said:

I paid for an old ladies shopping when her card was rejected because it was out of date.

She was confused and couldn't understand how it got out of date. The co-op gave me a discount so it wasn't too much.

I thought this was going to be one of those "An old lady didn't have enough to pay for her shopping so I helped her out.  There wasn't too much in her basket so it only took me 2 minutes to put the stuff back on the shelves"

I got a good one about helping people while being saddened by the world being such a fucking mess.

Last Christmas I was having some drinks at a whetherspoons and posted on my Instagram story for people to download the app and send free drinks to my table. I made sure to say “I’m vegan though, so don’t send any meat.” Stay with me here...

Naturally full plates of food started showing up at the table, all with plenty of meat. I’d post them on my story pretending to be annoyed, but I was just boxing them up and taking them out side to give to homeless people. After a while there was a big fucking line outside Spoons, I’d stumble out smashed off my face shouting stuff like “who fancies chicken tikka masala?”

End of the night I let everyone know that they’d actually spent their money feeding homeless people at Christmas and not annoying a vegan. Also I got fucking wasted while doing it, which was great. 

For clarity, I knew people would send meat as soon as I asked them not to. 

Archived