YouTube, the modern media platform

Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

I'm an individual that has grown up with the internet, I've seen pretty much every major platform grow with me, but the one site that seems to have evolved the most is YouTube.

No longer is it just a site to view funny little clips without the need to download them on Kazaa and risk putting a virus on the Family computer.

They have a paid service now, with better quality 'shows' from their 'content providers'.

But has a kid from Watford and another from Ohio just showcased YouTube as a great platform for sport?

So my nephew is staying with me for two weeks whilst his folks are in Spain, and the other night he was transfixed to his mobile all evening. Yesterday he was talking about boxing and if I could score a fight to get my opinion, I obliged and was met by no professional fight, no actual amateur fight, no I was met with YouTubers.

In one corner KSI, I know of him from opening FIFA packs and shouting about it and moving forward to a pretty shitty rap career (UKFFs own Kash apparently supported him on tour). In the other that annoying cunt from America that thought filming a dead Japanese guy for views would be totally fine, Logan Paul.

They had a fairly shitty standard of fight, but they both went for it to be fair, but my surprise was the fact my nephew had paid £7.50 for the pleasure, and a further 750,000 had done the same. Almost half a million watched the fight on one individual illegal Twitch stream alone, their were plenty others, and streams on Twitter too. Well over a million people watched two YouTubers attempt to smash fuck out of each other. I know YouTube has made millionaires from FIFA players and Vloggers, but it's estimated the pair have walked away with around £40 million each from the fight, with their brothers taking a hefty wedge too, as well as the promotion companies, one owned by the Paul production monster, and the other set up by KSIs mates.

With this precedent set, could the sporting world start looking at new media platforms if this sort of money can be generated. The PPV model could just have been changed forever.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's incredible how it's become a completely new medium, isn't it? You have the worlds of literacy, television, movies and popular music and the characters and celebrities they bring. YouTube now is no different. YouTubers are even selling out venues for live shows (DanTDM). Almost anyone with children like myself will tell you how YouTube has become a staple of their kids' lives.

I always assumed that YouTube would be around, but nothing more than the video-sharing website that it was. A platform for certain entertainers, musicians and comedians, for them to move onto something bigger. I never thought it would become a medium in its own right though.

I don't actually subscribe to anyone. I can easily find myself down a wormhole, trawling through video after video for a good couple of hours, but there's no YouTuber or channel that I particularly feel I need to watch regularly. I'm sure that will change before long.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Teedy Kay said:

(UKFFs own Kash apparently supported him on tour).

Kid Kash? He of 'throwing up the Westside hand sign in every oldschool UKFF meet photo'? What's the story there?

One of our very own is a Youtube star, the former 'Hardcore' John Atkins, with over a million subscribers. He took the plunge do his ukulele tutorials full-time, and within a year, he'd moved to Hollywood. He works incredibly hard, and thoroughly deserves every bit of success he's achieved.

• Paid Members

There was an article about this fight on the BBC and there was a bit in it where I felt like I was reading a foreign language.

KSI (also known as 'JJ') was a founding member of a group called the "sidemen", but when rumours of a feud between him and fellow originator Ethan Payne surfaced, some accused the pair of manufacturing the conflict in order to gain more subscribers and therefore more views.

One of the accusers, Weller, produced a 'diss video' which led KSI to challenge him to a boxing match at the Copper Box Arena in London.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There was an article about this fight on the BBC and there was a bit in it where I felt like I was reading a foreign language.

KSI (also known as 'JJ') was a founding member of a group called the "sidemen", but when rumours of a feud between him and fellow originator Ethan Payne surfaced, some accused the pair of manufacturing the conflict in order to gain more subscribers and therefore more views.

One of the accusers, Weller, produced a 'diss video' which led KSI to challenge him to a boxing match at the Copper Box Arena in London.

What's confusing you about any of this? Even in the context of two Youtube nob-aches most of us have never heard of, it seems perfectly understandable.

• Paid Members

What do these people do on YouTube? A friend of mine, her son who seems to be a sensible lad (1st from Oxford, Sandhurst, Officer in the army)  is friends with one of these YouTubers called Caspar Lee, who as far as I can work out just fucks about for a living. Caspar seems to have written a book about fucking about, made a film where he fucks about, and puts up videos on YouTube where he fucks about. It just may be that I'm to old to understand the appeal of this. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

What's confusing you about any of this? Even in the context of two Youtube nob-aches most of us have never heard of, it seems perfectly understandable.

Fortunately, I'm multilingual.

giphy.gif

I'm 23 and I remember when Youtube was first starting out. I really can't relate to modern Youtube. It just seems so fame hungry and obsessed with views, over cool people making cool videos.

I remember being a edgy militant Atheist and loving The Amazing Atheist and Coughlan... I'm beginning to think Youtube was always shite.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I genuinely believe my children love Ryan* and his family more than their own...

*If you know, you know :)

We can't get YouTube on the firestick anymore, however some YouTubers seem to be available through the Prime platform, I have to endure Amber and her ongoing necessity to make slime.

Thank Christ a new season of Ninjago was available to watch.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It just may be that I'm to old to understand the appeal of this. 

I feel you. Whenever I catch a glimpse of some of the videos my kids watch, I start to understand my Dad when he said he wanted to punch Timmy Mallett's fucking skull in whenever Waccaday was on.

I mean, just try and watch some of these. You need to drop a couple of E's just to keep up with these fuckers.

Collins Key, 13.5m subscribers. This American guy with unnaturally blue eyes must consume sugar 24 hours a day to maintain that constant level of excitement. His videos mostly consist of making shit things, like slime.

FGTeeV: 7.7m subscribers. I fucking can't stand this guy, one of the most annoying people I've ever witnessed. He sounds like he's calling his son 'Cheese' (he's called Chase) and I'd be looking to seek a Macauly Culkin-style parent divorce if I was him. His videos consist of him and his kids playing games such as Hello Neighbour and Lego Worlds. They have another channel FUNnel Vision (6.6m subscribers) where you just watch their family do their regular everyday shit. WHY

I can't be arsed to post more videos, I don't want to put you through more hell. So a brief summary of some others my kids watch...

The Pals, 2.8m subscribers (plus each respective member has a large number of subscribers for their individual channels). This is a YouTuber 'supergroup', like the Travelling Wilburys, formed by some well known gamers from USA, Canada and UK. They tend to play shit games like Minecraft and Roblox. Less annoying than those posted above, but I still don't see the appeal in watching them play games nonetheless.

Sis VS Bro, 6.3m. This can be pretty cool sometimes, I remember my daughter was watching them having a gymnastics battle once where they were playing a version of H.O.R.S.E. but where they had to do the same flips and moves. Much more palatable than whining, screeching adult males shouting 500,000 words per minute.

I actually wish they were back at the age where all they wanted to watch was toy unboxing videos.

• Paid Members

I see it first hand through my missus' kid. We actively have to try and reign it in at times because he would literally sit on his tablet from morning till night. He's obsessed with gaming channels like Stampy and Squidnugget (?), they just mesmerise him, its incredibly weird because its literally just watching a guy play a game (saying that, i dont understand the Twitch thing either). He also watches shit with kids having nerf gun battles and shit like that which terrible but have millions of views, and toy unboxings. All very baffling.

I do enjoy the videos he watches of things getting shredded though.

Archived