Bare Knuckle Thread 👊🏻

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Usual BKFC shows are available through their own app which is about £4 a month and you get alll the shows/library thrown in. This is a standalone PPV though, its about £18 through Fite which is abit shit.

• Paid Members

@Panhead

Change of plan, i just listened the BKFC Podcast and they announced that the show is available through the BKFC app with the standard subscription (i have the app with my Fire Stick), so if you sign up its like £4 or £5 for the month which isnt bad at all. So just buy, watch then cancel.

I dont know how well they've leaked that info out though, everything im reading is saying its a stand alone $40 PPV. I'll check make app when i get home just to make sure.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

@Panhead

Change of plan, i just listened the BKFC Podcast and they announced that the show is available through the BKFC app with the standard subscription (i have the app with my Fire Stick), so if you sign up its like £4 or £5 for the month which isnt bad at all. So just buy, watch then cancel.

I dont know how well they've leaked that info out though, everything im reading is saying its a stand alone $40 PPV. I'll check make app when i get home just to make sure.

Thanks man. I might just see what clips I can find on YouTube/social media. I'm surprised Channel 5 or someone aren't going after the rights over here. Even BT would probably have a viewership for it. 

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

@Panhead

Says $19.99 for it on the email they sent me yesterday.

• Paid Members

Yeh, everywhere is shilling it for 20 quid on Fite TV (its $40 in America), but if you download the official BKFC app. and sign up for a month its supposedly a part of the package. No one seems to have noticed though as they had originally said this would be a stand alone PPV away from their app service.

Its the same kind of deal as all WWE PPV's being on the Network but then BT Sports selling a single WWE PPV for £15 or whatever. 

• Paid Members

appears BKFC have been a bit crafty and are only offering full year subscriptions through the app, so its £30 for the year with Knucklemania chucked in. Good deal though if you plan on watching future events (so you'll get about 12 events).

Have just finished watching KnuckleMania. Ive never watched a full bare knuckle show before, but was generally impressed with the show. A few of the issues I had with it:

- The commentary was crap. I never liked Sean Wheelock from his Belator days, and Chris Lytle was awful. Lytle's constant, vacuous smiling and staring into the camera was very irritating. Its not just him that does this, though, it seems like a constant thing with most MMA pundits, but just looks weird to me. Ebb's favourate, old Goldy, is particularly awful for this when hes on camera.

- Nine fights, despite being shorter than MMA, is still far too many for a PPV, Id say. Watching 9 fights, it does start to become samey and sort of blend into one, as there isnt much variation in what youre watching. With a UFC PPV, you could see five very different styles of fight. With a boxing PPV event, youre seeing a big star fight. Bare Knuckle cant replicate either of those models, so cant really see a way for them to be successful. Lots of similar style fights, one after another, with no names isnt going to lead to much success I dont think.

- The Bruce Buffer-lite announcer was crap. Even stole his "Iiiiiiiiits Tiiiiiiiime" gimmick. Makes them look tacky. His "Helllllo Hellllllo" first intro was a huge cringe fest too. Funny to see Miragliotta's face during it, as hes obviously thinking what a tit this guy is.

- Why did the fighters need to wear a mask on the giant entrance ramp, completley away from everyone, walking to the ring? Bugged me every time I saw it. We see the commentators standing next to each other (no masks), backstage interviewers talking side by side to fighters (no mask), the refs not wearing masks. When the fighters actually got close to people they took the mask off. This irrationally annoyed me every time.

- I had flashbacks to watching my Smart Mark Video tapes and DVDs of IWA:MS and CZW at the end of the PPV, when that promoter was in the ring waffling on to close the show. Remember how Ian Rotten and Zandig would nearly always finish the show with a shitty and overly long promo? Similar vibes with this guy, who no one gives two shits about, cutting a promo about "you dont know how far we can go", and other shit that no one cares about.

Having said all that, there was plenty of good action during the show. That first womens match was great and easily the fight of the show. Plenty of other good KOs throughout the show. Nice to see Leben win. Dont understand how the ref knew it was a punch to the eye but still gave the guy five minutes to recover. In MMA this isnt the case, so maybe thats where the BK rules differ. Paige did OK, but was clearly second best. They seemed to be driving home the narrative of "Paige is going to use her physical advantage and strength to clinch up Brit (n. Bret) Hart", when Brit clearly was the stronger fighter, and Paige isnt exactly known for a Cyborg like phyisique. Was bizarre. Fully expecting this show to have bombed, but there does seem some sort of potential in here somewhere. Maybe longer fights involving the bigger stars is a road they could go down.

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members

good post Dai.

I finally saw Knucklemania. The criticism's you make are valid. The overall production is good though, ive seen much worse over the years.

Fightwise its all very hit and miss. I think it'll develop in time but you get the impression that a lot of the guys fighting are way in over their head. A lot of the time the knockdowns feel like the fighter saying "fuck this" rather than them getting legitimately knocked down. Its a brutal game.

That said, the two main event delivered.

Bedford/Nguyen was a great example of what Bare Knuckle Boxing can be. I had Nguyen winning 3 rounds to 2, but as a title fight it felt head and shoulders above the rest of the card. Dat Nguyen is great to watch.

Paige didn't disgrace herself either. Not sure whether she's regretting the move but she battled it out for 5 hard rounds. Hart was the clear winner though, just felt she bullied VanZant a little. Especially in the clinch, where Paige just held on a bit too much.

The Leben/Henry fight was odd. Henry visibly pissed after a short punch to the eyeball (fight should have been called there) but it continued. The damage Leben did with a handful of shots that didnt even look flush was mental.

I stupidly skipped the opening womens fight cause i was up against it timewise, that got FOTN too.

It aint for everyone, but ima stick with it.

• 1 month later...
  • Egg Shen changed the title to Bare Knuckle Thread
  • 3 weeks later...