Hindsight twats

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Oh God, I'd forgotten the fucking monkey. As if it's daft enough for a group that are, presumably, supposed to be ostensibly "normal" New Yorkers to have a pet monkey, I recently learned that it's actually illegal to privately own a monkey in New York state. So Ross is an animal trafficking deviant on top of everything else.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

My brother - though he possibly got it from elsewhere, I can't remember - once said that Friends is infinitely more entertaining if you take the whole thing as documenting the gradual mental breakdown of Ross.

I love re-worked perspectives like that. Excellent. Reminds me of that comic strip, "Garfield Without Garfield". All of a sudden, John Arbuckle is a very disturbing individual.

• Moderators

There was a whole episode about his ownership of Marcel being illegal.

I thought that was the whole point with Hicks's arc, branq..? That's certainly how I viewed him on my first watch. He's not fit to do his job, but he's not a bad guy. He makes poor decisions that cost people their lives, but ultimately his sacrifice redeems him.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

There was a whole episode about his ownership of Marcel being illegal.

I thought that was the whole point with Hicks's arc, branq..? That's certainly how I viewed him on my first watch. He's not fit to do his job, but he's not a bad guy. He makes poor decisions that cost people their lives, but ultimately his sacrifice redeems him.

I was under the impression that it was supposed be the story of the entire squad: that they're elite, veteran troops who've been through all sorts of shit, but are simply underprepared (and probably too overconfident) to deal with an enemy like the xenomorphs. That Ripley is the only one who's got experience of dealing with them, but they practically dismiss her warnings until they get their arses kicked, is what gave me that notion.

• Paid Members

I used to love Hicks, Larue, but on my last few viewings I've found myself begrudging his very existence in the movie, and I normally love Michael Biehn, so there was that conflict within me.

The character is so gormless and lazy. When the time comes for him to assume leadership, he bottles it, and lets everyone else do the hard work, both physically and emotionally. When

Ripley is going to do her thing and get Newt back for the finale – on her own – he sits back and tells her not to be gone long, and has a sleep. It should have been a case of “Right, I’m goosed, but I’m staying awake in searing pain, to make sure Bishop doesn’t fuck off on you, and so I can see you both get back safely.

But maybe I'm being overly cynical in my advancing years.

Hudson had the best arc of all throughout. A complete full circle of emotions.

I like the theory that Friends is all set in Phoebes head.  She is still living on the streets, looks through the window of a coffee shop and imagines what it would be like to be friends with the group of strangers sat around a table.  But yeah, Ross became the MVP as it went on, make of that what you will.  David Schwimmers physical comedy was superb by the end.

I've never understood the criticism of Seinfeld not having any black/Asian/latino characters.

First of all, it's a very Jewish-centric show. Second of all, the character of Newman was originally going to be black, and a black actor was considered for the role of George.

Second of all, they've had countless memorable roles that were played by minority actors (who have done nothing of note before or since the show).

Larry David, co-creator, wrote the part of Leon, a big part, into Curb Your Enthusiasm in Season 6, which coincided with the decline in quality of that show; that underscores my point that that kind of humour doesn't gel with Jewish-centric comedy.

Irish are one of the biggest ethnic minorities in NY along with Italians, Jews, Chinese etc.

Irish have not being represented at all in Seinfeld, or Friends for that matter.

Maybe I'll write an outraged tweet about it.

Some of Seinfeld's humour when it comes to race topics are dated, but that's not exclusive to black people.

Italians have been lazily stereotyped. The most negatively stereotyped character in the show is George. And he's written by Jewish people and played by a Jew!

Some people just love to be outraged.

• Paid Members

I find Phoebe possibly the most irritating of all the Friends lot. Her character's just a walking, stereotypical Facebook feed. 

7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, comparing the Irish and Italians to Blacks is perfectly fine. 

There aren't Irish or Italians getting shot indiscriminately by cops in 2018, but, from a historical perspective you had communities rioting against Irish and Italian immigrants.

Irish and Italians prevented from getting jobs; what allowed the mafia's influence to grow early in the century.

Italians got lynched in New Orleans at the end of the previous century.

I mean it's not that long ago that "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish" signs were commonly left in windows.

Black people don't have a monopoly on racism. 

Anyways, shows like The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, My Wife and Kids, Smart Guy and anything the Wayans Brothers have ever done on TV have had barely any white characters, and I barely even noticed, it never hindered my enjoyment of those shows. 

The Fresh Prince is one of my favourites and in hindsight, no, I wouldn't have any white characters introduced because political correctness.

17 minutes ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Leon is one of the best characters on Curb, for me.

My brother doesn't get my dislike of him either.

He's fine in small doses, but, post-Season 6 he's just outlived his usefulness and I'm wondering what storyline sense does he serve still being in the show.

He's like a coarser, more irritating version of Kramer from Seinfeld.

Anyways, Leon is the least of Curb's problems. The show's become way too self-aware, and Larry's becoming a contender for hindsight twat IMO.

Archived