80s Bangers

bAzTNM#1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Another cracker partly written by the mighty Midge Ure. 

Must be a freudian thing, but whenever I hear this, i'm immediately taken back to being 15 and waiting for "Dish of the Day" to start on the Adult Channel, as it was always prefixed by one of those 8 CD COMPILATIONS NOT AVAILABLE IN ANY SHOPS adverts, Fade to Grey is the soundbite which most springs to mind.

• Paid Members

Hey @Gus Mears, liking the Midge Ure stuff. I'm more a fan of early Ultravox, or Ultravox! as they were back then, when their lead singer was John Foxx (who's done some really good modern New Wave-style electronica recently), but their stuff with Ure is always great too. Like below.

• Paid Members

@Carbomb Underrated band full stop I think, irrespective of ! at the end or choice of front man. Tend get a little lost (barring Vienna) with retrospectives on the New Romantics and New Wave groups. FUN FACT: Midge Ure once judged a music competition the MP I was working for at the time was running and he's a nice guy from my limited contact with him. 

See that some Bowie has already been covered, but this is possibly my favourite song of his (plus ties in with the New Wave stuff by being off Scary Monsters). Robert Fripp's guitar performance is colossal, even by his standards and the NME description of Bowie's vocals as 'him trying to tear his own intestines out' is not inaccurate. 

Archived