The Ultimate Wrestlemania

Killjoy_Gee

Listening to the Wrestlemania 19 recap on Something to Wrestle and Bruce was discussing how Shawn/Jericho would go down as  one of the best ‘Mania matches of all time and it got me thinking about what matches from Mania history would you ‘book’ if putting together the ‘Ultimate Wrestlemania’

Rules are simple, no Superstar or Title can be used twice - sorry HBK fans - and you must have a 10 match card with a clear main event! Otherwise, matches are in no particular order - unless you are truly OCD

Special challenge - as I’m a teacher I must offer an extension to challenge my most able, and I’ll be damned if I don’t do it on here! - do not use more than one match from a Wrestlemania!! 

1. Bret Hart vs Stone Cold w/ Ken Shamrock as Special Referee (Wrestlemania 13 - I Quit Match)

How can you not have one of the most iconic and career defining matches? This match is; in my honest opinion, the true genesis of what would go on to be the Attitude Era. I feel without this match, Austin may not have picked up momentum the way he did.

2. The Rock vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan (Wrestlemania 18)

Clash of the Titans. A match that was far better than you would have ever expected considering the reputation Hogan had coming out of WCW. They have the crowd captivated. This should have been the main event of the night and it was.... electrifying 

3. The Dudley Boys w/ Spike Dudley vs Edge and Christian w/ Rhyno vs The Hardyz w/ Lita (Wrestlemania 17 - TLC II; Tag Team Championship)

Me being very selfish here, but genuinely one of my most favourite matches ever and the perfect conclusion to this trios trilogy of matches. I love that it has all of their ‘thirds’, it has some of the most played Wrestlemania moments. 

4. The Undertaker vs Triple H (Wrestlemania 27)

Not a match I enjoyed on my first - or even third - viewing! But no denying this is an absolutely amazing match with some incredible near falls. Both men are on top form - and given other choice; a necessary match to get both on the card. It was very nearly Taker/Punk at 29, but I couldn’t leave Triple H off.

5. Trish Stratus vs Mickie James (Wrestlemania 22; Women’s Championship) 

Before the ‘Women’s Revolution’ there was this match. A ray of hope in a bleak landscape. A fantastic build and an even better match. The story is just brilliant! It’s a shame it has been censored in all media since. 

6. Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 21)

Like the above; the perfect build and the perfect match. It could have been any HBK match; but I needed Kurt, and this match has been rewatched so many times.

7.Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg (Wrestlemania 33; Universal Championship)

I might get some stick; I needed Brock but didn’t want to use my WWE Championship match. I really enjoyed this demolition derby. It was short, sweet and did exactly what it needed too.

8.Chris Jericho vs AJ Styles (Wrestlemania 32)

It took some time for these two to gel, but when they did - I think they had the best match at Dallas. 

9. John Cena vs Rusev (Wrestlemania 31; United States Championship) 

This match met a lot of criteria I wanted; a Championship Match, John Cena and perhaps most importantly; Rusev in a tank. 

10. Daniel Bryan vs Batista vs Randy Orton (Wrestlemania 30; WWE Championship)

For me; perhaps my favourite of Wrestlemania moments. Daniel Bryan finally gets his moment. The match was filled with excitement, it had me on the edge of my seat and still fills me with joy everyone time I rewatch. This, for me, is why I watch wrestling 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening match :tlc 2 wm 17 tag titles match 

hardys vs dudleys vs e~c: 

Match 2 ic title wm 3

Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat 

Match 3 wm 21 world title match 

Hhh vs Batista 

Match 4 women’s title match 

Trish stratus vs Mickie James 

Match 5 wm 10 

Bret Hart vs owen Hart

Match 6 wm 18 icon vs icon 

Hulk Hogan vs the rock

Match 7 Wrestlemania 14 dumpster match 

Chainshaw Charlie and Mick Foley vs new age outlaws 

Match 8 wm 20 us title match 

John Cena vs big show 

Match 9 wm 17 (I know I went for the tlc match aswell but technically this isn’t a match )

Gimmick battle royal 

Match 10 MAIN EVENT WM 25 

Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels 

God that was hard I did do reasons for the matches but being a prat deleted it instead of copying it like a prat 

• Paid Members

Main Event: Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart. (WM13) - Best Match in company history.

Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage (WM7) - My favourite match of all time.

IC Title - Shawn Michael vs. Razor Ramon (WM10) - Shawn's best WrestleMania match. And yes, I'm serious. And the only ladder match on my show.

WWE Title - Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar (WM31) - Fantastic hard hitting match. Can I pretend Rollins dies and can't run in and ruin it?

Undertaker vs. Triple H (WM17) - Enjoyable match. Doesn't last 5 years or have 500 finishers hit.

The Rock vs. John Cena (WM28) - I'm booking Cena to go over.

Boss Man vs. Akeem (WM6) - Fun little squash that I popped for at the time. Dibiase going from the Jake feud into this was superbly done.

Tag Titles - Cactus & Funk vs. The Outlaws (WM14) - Always liked this feud and this Mania. Got to be represented. Plus we need a tag match or two.

Crush vs. Doink (WM9) - I've always liked this. It's terrible in hindsight but so what?

Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather (WM24) - Here's your one celebrity involvement.

• Awards Moderator

Ooh, some good food for thought for me this Thursday night!

1) Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WrestleMania X

A classic opener to start things off.

2) The Shield vs. Randy Orton, Sheamus & Big Show, WrestleMania 29

I’ve only got two Shield matches to pick from and this tops their WM30 effort.

3) X-Pac vs. Shane McMahon, WrestleMania XV

It was between this and the Styles-Shane match from last year, but I’ve got a fair few longer matches coming up so a quick sharp Attitude segment suits the flow of the show better.

4) The Rockers vs. Twin Towers, WrestleMania V

Because I need Shawn in there but I need all my favourite opponents of his elsewhere. Mainly because this also gives me a tag match and a Bossy Bonus. It’s a waste of Shawn but ah well.

5) Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior, WrestleMania VII

Some mega emotion for the halfway point. One of my top 3 all time favourite matches with the best ending ever. 

6) Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan, WrestleMania XXVIII

I’ve got some major heavy lifting as we head to the top of the card; this is a palette cleanser with some beautiful character work from Bryan. My favourite Mania squash.

7) TLC II, WrestleMania X-Seven

Another of my top 3 all time favourite matches. The ultimate stunt show. Glorious and thrilling and non stop highlights. I love it.

8) Undertaker vs. Triple H, WrestleMania XXVII

And the last of my all time top 3. People have seen my waxing lyrical about this match in the past. It’s wonderful and I’ll leave it at that for this time.

9) Charlotte vs Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch, WrestleMania 32

I feel very disrespectful using a women’s match between the two top matches like WWE used to do. But this was definitely 32’s best match.

10) The Rock vs Steve Austin, WrestleMania XIX

Now, this wasn’t the main event of XIX, but two of the biggest stars ever plus Austin’s last match? That’s a main event in my book. I prefer their X-Seven match but I can’t use that because of TLCII. And I want a proper main event - this gives me it. I prefer this one to XV which rules out Michaels vs Jericho, which would have been my HBK pick. And so on and so on. But I’d be happy with this closing my show.

• Paid Members

I tried to build a card that wouldn't be too "full on" but I don't know if it works.

(1) Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - WMX
Basically had to take this as a non title match. Bret was my hero and this was his finest wrestling match on a Mania. I'd have liked to take the submission match but I wanted Austin later.

(2) Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat - I title - WM3
Maybe it's too "wrestly" early on but I needed this match involved, not sure about the placement.

(3) Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg - U title - WM33
Easy choice to include a smashmouth brawl here. Probably seems a bit early but there's big "drama" matches later on.

(4) Undertaker vs HHH - WM27
On average between them this is the best match. It massively eclipsed my expectations, was loads of fun, had brilliant entrances and a great finish. Classic Mania fare for me.

(5) Charlotte v Sasha Banks v Becky Lynch - WM32
Needed a shorter match to break up some of the epics but this doesn't fall short for action, and I wanted a womens title match. This has Sasha in it, so it was a pretty easy choice.

(6) Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle - WM21
More rasslin. This has seemed divisive over the years - Butch hates it - but I found this a roller coaster live and watch it back frequently. It's probably my second favourite match of both men, which says a lot.

(7) Vince McMahon vs Shane McMahon - WM17
One of my easiest choices. Nothing says ridiculous pro wrestling "fun" as opposed to the big dramatic stuff than this slice of nonsense.

(8) Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton vs Batista - WWE title - WM30
Considering Orton and Big Dave weren't exactly top of my list for wrestlers I urgently wanted to include, this was a remarkably satisfying choice for THE title match after I'd made non title selections for a lot of the usual suspects. Great action, the right ending. Maybe should have gone on last?

(9) Dudleys vs Hardys vs Edge & Christian - WM16
A TLC match in all but name (and honestly for the rules, a TLC match is indistinguishable from any other ladder match) I always feel this one gets overlooked compared to TLC2 but I think its better structured and builds the drama to a good peak involving the three teams without the run ins that TLC2 had. Also, I've already used Mania 17.

(10) The Rock vs Steve Austin - WM19
On paper the one at 17 is bigger - its arguably the biggest match of all time, in fact. But this is the one that meant more to me. I knew they'd never wrestle at a Mania again and suspected they might never wrestle each other again at all, but I had no idea Austin was finishing or that this would be Rocky's last big singles match at a Mania for bloody ages. This is one of my favourite matches to watch back, the ending is perfect. Its the end of one of my favourite chapters of wrestling history, the right bloke wins, and its clean. Superb.

The only real doubts were taking Savage/Steamboat for wrestling over Savage/Warrior from more drama, and I bloody love the latter, and Lesnar/Goldberg over Lesnar/Reigns. In a world where the latter has a clean finish, I'd take it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar (WM31) - Fantastic hard hitting match. Can I pretend Rollins dies and can't run in and ruin it?

The Rock vs. John Cena (WM29) - Went for the one where the right guy went over.

You'll have to change that to 28 or you've used the big belt twice.

MAIN EVENT:  WWE Title - The Rock vs Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 17

2.Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - Wrestlemania 25

3. Loser leaves - Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man - Wrestlemania 7 

4. Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - Wrestlemania 10

5. Womens title - Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks - Wrestlemania 32

6. Belfast brawl - JBL vs Finlay - Wrestlemania 24

7. Daniel Bryan vs HHH - Wrestlemania 30

8. Triangle ladder match wwe tag titles - Dudleys vs Hardys vs Edge/Christian - Wrestlemania 2000

9. US Title - John Cena vs Big Show - Wrestlemania 20

10. Crush vs Doink - Wrestlemania 9

Loving other cards so far - and pleased to see I wasn’t the only one who struggled to place names in! 

Shane Vs Vince was close to mine air raid; but I had to get rid when I knew I wanted Trish vs Mickie! It’s one of my top 10 no doubt 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Killjoy_Gee said:

Loving other cards so far - and pleased to see I wasn’t the only one who struggled to place names in! 

Shane Vs Vince was close to mine air raid; but I had to get rid when I knew I wanted Trish vs Mickie! It’s one of my top 10 no doubt 

I'd have thought losing TLC2 was a bigger factor?

Tough one this, after a bit of thought I have gone with..

1 - US Title - John Cena vs Rusev - Wrestlemania 31

2 - TLC - Wrestlemania 17

3 -Retirement Match - Randy Savage vs The Ultimate Warrior - Wrestlemania 7

4 - IC Title - HHH vs Goldust - Wrestlemania 14

5 - Universal Title - Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg - Wrestlemania 33

6 - Jake The Snake vs Andre The Giant - Wrestlemania 5

7 - Shawn Micheals vs The Undertaker - Wrestlemania 25

8 - Submission Match - Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin - Wrestlemania 13

9 - The Rock vs Hulk Hogan - Wrestlemania 18

10 - WWE Title - Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton vs Batista - Wrestlemania 30

If asked every day though I probably would go with something different every time!

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, air_raid said:

(6) Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle - WM21

More rasslin. This has seemed divisive over the years - Butch hates it - but I found this a roller coaster live and watch it back frequently. It's probably my second favourite match of both men, which says a lot.

Never liked it. Wasn't a fan of Angle much around the time at all. First of the matches that felt ultra-planned and desperate to be 5* rather than telling a story. The template for The Undertaker's later Mania matches and now everything Dave Meltzer wanks over.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Never liked it. Wasn't a fan of Angle much around the time at all. First of the matches that felt ultra-planned and desperate to be 5* rather than telling a story. The template for The Undertaker's later Mania matches and now everything Dave Meltzer wanks over.

I've only ever watched that match once, and it was at the time, so I haven't seen it in 13 years. I might go back and watch it again and see what way it looks with fresh eyes. I remember thinking it was the best match on the card, but underwhelming from my expectations. I should go back and rewatch it again though. 

Archived