The Ultimate Wrestlemania

Killjoy_Gee

5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Speaking of repeats, @cobra_gordo - you've got three from X-Seven in your 10!

Hey, the OP only said not to use the same wrestlers twice, one match per event at a push! It's such a good card though, probably my most watched show after Summerslam '92, it'd be rude not to rinse it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Hey, the OP only said not to use the same wrestlers twice, one match per event at a push! It's such a good card though, probably my most watched show after Summerslam '92, it'd be rude not to rinse it.

I beg to differ! Right under that rule was the following:

Special challenge - as I’m a teacher I must offer an extension to challenge my most able, and I’ll be damned if I don’t do it on here! - do not use more than one match from a Wrestlemania!! 

1. Intercontinental Title: Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon (WM10)
  2. Daniel Bryan vs Triple H (WM30)
  3. Roddy Piper vs Goldust (WM12)
  4. Womens Title: Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks (WM32)
  5. Undertaker vs Kane (WM14) 
  6. US Title: Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho (WM33)
  7. Tag Team Titles: Edge & Christian vs The Dudley Boys vs The Hardy Boyz (WM16)
  8. Ultimate Warrior vs Randy Savage (WM7)
  9. European Title: Shane McMahon vs X-Pac (WM15)
  10. WWE Title: The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (WM17)

That was really hard a couple of matches I wanted but couldn’t find a way to fit them in Michaels/Flair, Taker/Punk, Bryan/Orton/Batista, Reigns/Brock.

Yeah, this was much more difficult than it would seem. I was torn between going for a card that built nice and gradually or one that's just stacked with big names with no real filler. As it's 'The Ultimate WrestleMania' it should probably be the latter, but I tried to go for a mix of both. Had to sacrifice some of my favourite ever matches, with Hart/Austin (WM13), Rock/Austin (WMX7), Bret/Owen (WMX) and Triple H/Undertaker (WMXXVII).

Wanted to make sure I had a Tag, IC and World title match and avoid having two variations of a World title, which made it even more difficult. I'd consider Hogan/Andre (WM3), Hogan/Warrior (WMVI) and Austin/Rock (WMX7) the ultimate 'Mania main events with some of the biggest names ever involved and facing arguably their most significant opponents, which is what should probably feature on such a card. But if I take Hogan/Warrior I burn my IC title match. And wanting a decent Tag title match, you're hard pressed to find some that would qualify for such a card beyond the two mental title matches at 16 and X7. I went for the first one at 16 first to try and keep Austin/Rock free, but had to switch when I needed to get something else from X7 on the card. Which also means I have to lose the mental Hardcore match from 16 which i'd have loved to include. Luckily there's still Austin/Rock from XIX to use, which i'm a fan of and 'The Ultimate WrestleMania' should have big moments and I tried to keep it to most famous opponents as much as possible too. Yet, I wanted to avoid too many career ending matches through the card, which would prove a problem later and not having Hogan/Warrior, I definitely wanted Warrior/Savage. Taking that from 'Mania VII meant I couldn't have Rockers/Haku and Barbarian or Bulldog/Warlord. Like Rick I love that tag opener and felt both of these would make good matches early on the card. Rock/Austin wasn't known to be or billed as a loser leaves match though, so I can get away with it and it's big hook is it's the last time they're likely to face at The Big Dance and Rock finally getting the W on his greatest ever rival.

Initially I really wanted to have the original Money in the Bank ladder match from WM21. Love that match and consider it the best of the 'Mania Money in the Banks. Don't want too many ladder or multi-man matches either though, so that had to go and also rules out Michaels/Razor. I adore Bret/Piper from WM8 so happy to take that as my IC title match and it's one of the first matches that made me love pro-wrestling. Which forces me to lose some other Bret gems, that don't involve titles, that would have been great to include.

Had a 9 match card, which i'd have been happy to keep it as, but it needs to be 10. Obvious one to slot in that's available to complete the card is Flair/Michaels, but it's another Career on the line match, so no dice. Considered Show/Mayweather for the token celeb involvement but neglected, rather keeping it to wrestlers. Considered Shane/XPac (WMXV), gives me a European title match and the finishing angle is an under-rated moment and the sort of angle that should occur at 'Mania. It was really the very, very start of Triple Hs rise to the top. If we're going to be technical though and I've got Triple H from a separate year elsewhere I can't really use him in this fashion. I like Hunter/Owen (WMXIV) but there's a bigger match I can still use for Trips.

US Title Match

Big Show vs John Cena, (WMXX)

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit, (WMX7)

Randy Orton vs The Undertaker, (WM 21)

Tag Team Title Ladder Match 

The Dudley Boyz vs The Hardy Boyz vs Edge and Christian, (WM16)

IC Title Match

Roddy Piper vs Bret Hart, (WMVIII)

Career On The Line

Ultimate Warrior vs Macho Man Randy Savage, (WMVII)

Womens Title Match

Trish Stratus vs Mickie James, (WM22)

Daniel Bryan vs Triple H, (WMXXX)

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Rock, (WMXIX)

WWE Title Match

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns, (WM31)

Opted for Cena/Show to complete the card, almost went for Rey/Punk - barely remember it but sure I enjoyed it at the time and it's the only incarnation of Punk i'm particularly a fan of. Cena/Show feels more significant though, being a title change, Johns first major title and the very, very start of his rise and has the Hogan/Andre nod of Show taking the FU. Lesnar/Reigns is my main event, I love that match and wanted the WWE title to be the main event, partly picked because others aren't available but I do really rate it as one of 'Manias best Mains and although it's not a clean finish as such, the finish is another that felt (at the time at least) as a real big moment. It was very nearly Hogan/Andre, being arguably the biggest ever and one of the only matches possible that's bigger than what's underneath it. It probably should be that, but I want the match quality too and that's probably a bum end to the card with what precedes it. Also, if I take Cena/Show as my opener, it takes away from the big moment in Hogan/Andre. So I could easily switch Cena/Show with Rey/Punk and Lesnar/Reigns with Hogan/Andre for my Ultimate card on another day.

• Paid Members

I tell you what, this is bloody hard isn't it? It's a great challenge to get in the mood for 'Mania season though. I've had a couple of goes at coming up with a list in my mind throughout the day, but here goes:

WrestleMania 7

The Ultimate Warrior Vs Randy Savage

WrestleMania 3 - WWF Title 

Hulk Hogan Vs Andre The Giant

WrestleMania 14 - WWF Tag Team Championship Dumpster Match

New Age Outlaws Vs Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie

WrestleMania 13 - Submission Match

Bret Hart Vs Steve Austin

WrestleMania 27

HHH Vs The Undertaker

WrestleMania 17

Gimmick Battle Royal

WrestleMania 33 Universal Title Match

Brock Lesnar Vs Goldberg

WrestleMania 9

The Headshrinkers Vs The Steiners

WrestleMania 28

The Rock Vs John Cena

WrestleMania X

WWF Intercontinental Title Ladder Match

Shawn Michaels Vs Razor Ramon

I had the matches from 'Mania 7, 10 and 13 in there automatically. The rest were hard to pick after that though. A worst of WrestleMania thread would be a pretty fun idea too! 

• Paid Members
On 23/03/2018 at 4:03 PM, cobra_gordo said:

I like it :'-(

Its a good match, I think the "travesty" in question refers to the result.

Right, here goes…tough, but fun, task! Please correct me of any mistakes if I've used something twice.

1. Bert Hart v Owen Hart (WM10) … best opener of any Wrestlemania. The only reason it wouldn’t be on here would be Bret-Austin but I wanted a hot opener.

2. IC Title: Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat (WM3)…watched again recently and doesn’t age a great deal. Amazing match from two performers close to their peak.

3. Rey Mysterio v Eddie Guerrero (WM21)…One I’d forgotten about until I looked through the cards again. Was always going to be a good match given the talent involved.

4. MITB Ladder Match: CM Punk v Carlito v Chris Jericho v John Morrison v Mr Kennedy v MVP v Shelton Benjamin (WM24)…Most other MITB matches would take up a lot of performers who I’d like to use elsewhere so this seemed a good bet. Punk rising to a deserved win was a great and unexpected moment.

5. Blindfold Match – Jake The Snake v Rick Martel (WM7)…Not many will choose this but it’s a guilty pleasure of mine. I know you can clearly see through the blindfolds at times but given the stip I thought these two did well in getting the crowd involved.

6.  Tag Titles, Triangle Ladder Match: Dudleys v Edge and Christian v The Hardys (WM16)…where it all began for these three teams. Outstanding match and frees up other Manias.

7. Back Lot Brawl: Rowdy Roddy Piper v Goldust (WM12)…Another guilty pleasure but a nice way to use Piper and fill in between more serious matches.

8. Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle (WM17)…On a stacked card, it was hard to choose but I had to include Angle somewhere.

9. Women’s Title: Trish Stratus v Mickie James (WM22)…Wonderful feud, great match and obvious choice for the Women’s Title match.

8. Stone Cold Steve Austin v The Rock (WM19)…Good way to get both on the card without taking up the WWF Title match.

9. WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan v Randy Orton v Batista (WM30)…More for the moment than the actual match but I hadn’t been invested in a main event for many years until this point.

10. Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker (WM25)…One of, if not, the greatest Mania match of all time. Emotional, incredible spots and two of the ‘old guard’ putting on a hell of a show.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DootDootDoot said:

3. Rey Mysterio v Eddie Guerrero (WM21)…One I’d forgotten about until I looked through the cards again. Was always going to be a good match given the talent involved.

You may have forgotten about it because it was really disappointing, given the talent involved. Probably because they weren't given enough time. I thought the match they had at the Bash with Eddy being borderline psychotic in front of Rey's lad was the most interesting match the pair had in that run.

Opener

JBL VS Finley Belfast Brawl Wm24

AJ Styles vs Shane Mcmahon wm33

Tag team title match

New Age Outlaws vs Cactus and Chainsaw Wm14

Hardcore title match

Kane vs Big Show vs Raven Wm17

Womens title match

Becky vs Sasha vs Charlotte wm32

Diesal vs Undertaker Wm12

Rock vs Cena Wm28

Ic Title Match