The Ultimate Wrestlemania

Killjoy_Gee

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I'd have thought losing TLC2 was a bigger factor?

Well, as others have mentioned, Wrestlemania 2000 had the brilliant Triangle Ladder Match match - I would have been willing to substitute TLC 2 for that just to get Shane vs Vince, but then I was left wondering what Women's match to use. It again comes down to iconic moments; for me, that Linda pop is one of the best for me.

There are literally so many alternatives; it took me close to an hour to actually post because I kept moving away from other choices

Honourable Mentions that I had to lose for instance, Shane vs Vince, Undertaker vs CM Punk, Mick Foley vs Edge (Gutted there was no other Foley match to be honest), HHH vs Batista, Kurt Angle vs Eddie Guerrero (knew what my main event would be... this was a hard one to lose), Shawn vs Undertaker/Vince/Flair

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'd go with (in no particular order):

1. Intercontinental Title: Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (Wrestlemania 8)
2. Street Fight: Vince McMahon vs. Hulk Hogan (Wrestlemania 19)
3. WWF Tag Team Titles: Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz vs. Edge & Christian (Wrestlemania 17)
4. Hardcore Match: Edge vs. Mick Foley (Wrestlemania 22)
5. Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair (Wrestlemania 24)
6. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H (Wrestlemania 30)
7. WWE Universal Title: Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg (Wrestlemania 33)
8. Retirement Match: Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage (Wrestlemania 7)
9. The Undertaker vs. Diesel (Wrestlemania 12)
10. Main Event: Steve Austin vs. The Rock (Wrestlemania 17)

Skews a little more recent than I'd like, and fell just short of being able to not reuse a Wrestlemania!

The main event was the hardest part for me - I knew I wanted Hart/Piper and Vince/Hogan on my card, which cuts out a lot of obvious choices...I toyed with putting the Bryan/Batista/Orton match there, but again felt there was too much recent focus, but not being able to use Hogan or Bret made it harder to find anything else. I toyed with having Flair/Savage as my main event, but then I'd be reusing Wrestlemania 8, and I figured that Savage/Warrior was a far better choice...but then that meant I couldn't have Savage/Steamboat! Oh, it's a bloody nightmare, this.

Not particularly keen on the fact that I've got two retirement matches on one card, and that I couldn't find space for John Cena, amongst several others, but there we are. I think it's a reasonably good mix, though probably skewing towards the main event scene too much - could do with some filler.

• Paid Members

Ah balls, so I do!

And I did that because my previous Tag Title match was New Age Outlaws vs. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie, to avoid having two Foley matches, only to end up replacing Foley with the other bloke in his match.

I'll swap out TLC for The Dream Team vs. British Bulldogs from Wrestlemania 2, and that solves me having Wrestlemania 17 twice.

Let’s open the show with the best Mania opening match of all time, Bret Hart vs Owen Hart, from 10. Triple H vs Daniel Bryan be damned!

I’m also going to be the guy who manages to get an entire battle royal in, and I’ve gone for the first Andre the Giant Battle Royal from Mania 30, won by Cesaro. Kofi’s stunt to avoid elimination beats anything he’s ever done in the Rumble. I suspect it also means I’ll be the only person with Dolph Ziggler on their show…

Third up, I’m going for the Intercontinental title match from 9, Tatanka vs Shawn Michaels. It’s the greatest single performer in Wrestlemania history, facing Shawn Michaels. Am I allowed to change the outcome? If so, Tatanka wins, and that cheap DQ never happens.

It’s probably time for a women’s match, so I’m going for Charlotte vs Sasha vs Becky from Mania 32. Still the best female’s match at Mania.

A big mid-card match coming up, and I’ve plumped for the Rock vs Steve Austin from Mania 19. I could have gone for 17, but thought that would have been my main event, but I’ve got something else in mind for that. I always liked this match more, the respect shown by both, no heel turn at the end, and the chat they have in the ring at the end. Lovely stuff.

From Mania 31, Seth Rollins vs Randy Orton. I did consider Shield vs Sheamus, Show and Randy, but as the first two are in the Andre battle royal from earlier in the night, and I want the RKO off the Curb Stomp somewhere, it’s this one.

Match 7, and a ladder match – having carefully checked, none of these are on my card so far, so it’s Edge vs Christian vs Jericho vs Shelton vs Benoit vs Kane from MITB at Mania 20.

Match 8, and time for another huge match. It occurs that I’ve not yet had the Undertaker, or the World Heavyweight title, so I’ve gone for Undertaker vs Batista from Mania 23. An odd match in that Dave phoned in the entire build, and then the two of them just tore the place down in the best match of the year.

Match 9, and I’m missing the tag title match. As I have the MITB match taking out Edge and Christian from the proceedings, I’m going for a standard one-fall tag match, and going all the way back to Wrestlemania 2, The Dream Team (Brutus Beefcake & Greg Valentine) vs the British Bulldogs

The Main Event: for completely personal reasons, the match that made me fall in love with wrestling, and one that I think people forget just how huge it was. For all the playgrounds arguments between the Hulkamaniacs and Little Warriors, the red-hot crowd, the surprisingly entertaining match that I still revisit every so often – from Mania 6, Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior. Still love that stare-down at the Rumble, with Warrior just looking over his shoulder. Understated and beautiful.

In closing – I’ve managed to put together a card that misses off Triple H, Cena, Reigns, Punk, Randy Savage and Lesnar, while including matches with Heath Slater and Shelton Benjamin. Hmm…

Just thinking it through, do you reckon there'd be money in this concept for the WWE?  They have all the matches, so would they be able to pull together requested DVDs and/o digital downloads that people would want?  If they were willing to spend the time pulling together a listing, and then chopped up the relevant shows to pull out the matches individually, you could theoretically make it work - and I suspect there would be interest in it.

They could even break it out and cover all PPV matches, throw in some of the better stuff off weekly TV, and you'd be able to build an dream card you wanted.

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, FourtyTwo said:

Just thinking it through, do you reckon there'd be money in this concept for the WWE?  They have all the matches, so would they be able to pull together requested DVDs and/o digital downloads that people would want?  If they were willing to spend the time pulling together a listing, and then chopped up the relevant shows to pull out the matches individually, you could theoretically make it work - and I suspect there would be interest in it.

They could even break it out and cover all PPV matches, throw in some of the better stuff off weekly TV, and you'd be able to build an dream card you wanted.

It'd be a fun feature on the Network, for sure - like making a playlist but for matches. Probably not practical and definitely not profitable, though!

• Paid Members

Had another crack at mine but to give it a more realistic flow, I've gone with matches only where they were placed on their WrestleMania. It's quite hard especially because by the time you get to 10 there's fuck all left.

I've sacrificed Bret/Austin to avoid the WM2000 clusterfuck of a main event. Lost the tag titles too but did manage one tag match. Really wanted to get in the opener from Wm7 but I couldn't leave Warrior/Savage off any fantasy card unless the rules said no Warrior or no Savage.

1. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H (WM30)
2. The Steiner Brothers vs. The Headshrinkers (WM9)
3. IC Title: Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart (WM8)
4. Hardcore Match: Edge vs. Mick Foley (WM22)
5. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho (WM19)
6. Undertaker vs. CM Punk (WM29)
7. Retirement Match: The Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage (WM7)
8. Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. The Big Show (WM24)
9. Gimmick Battle Royal (WM17)
10. WWF Title: The Rock vs. Steve Austin (WM15)

Well Tiger_Rick, mostly because you've always bought me joy for your amazing contributions to SCGR; I can give you a 12 match card if you want!!

I do feel like I missed a treat ignoring the Gimmick Battle Royal. When they announced the initial Andre the Giant; that's what I envisioned

My one critique of your above one; on sheer technicality, having Rock vs Austin means you are using Big Show and Mick Foley twice!!

I didn't realise just how difficult this would be when I thought it. I guarantee, the worst of Mania would be so much easier

This was a lot more difficult that I first thought!

The Hart Foundation vs The Nasty Boys (WWF Tag Team championship Wrestlemania 7)

Trish Stratus vs Lita vs Jazz (Wrestlemania 18)

Hardcore Battle Royal (Hardcore championship- Wrestlemania 16).

Crush vs Doink (Wrestlemania 9)

Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Championship- Wrestlemania 33)

Vince McMahon vs Shane McMahon (Wrestlemania 17)

Chris Jericho vs William Regal (Intercontinetal championship- Wrestlemania 17)

Edge vs Mick Foley (Wrestlemania 22)

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (WWF championship- Wrestlemania 17)

Main event- Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker (Wrestlemania 25)

20 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Ooh, some good food for thought for me this Thursday night!

2) The Shield vs. Randy Orton, Sheamus & Big Show, WrestleMania 29

I’ve only got two Shield matches to pick from and this tops their WM30 effort.

6) Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan, WrestleMania XXVIII

I’ve got some major heavy lifting as we head to the top of the card; this is a palette cleanser with some beautiful character work from Bryan. My favourite Mania squash

You've got some great choices in this one, but you've used Sheamus twice.

Wrestlemania 2 Bulldogs v Dream Team

Wrestlemania 31 AJ Lee and Paige v Bella Twins

Wrestlemania 7 Savage V Warrior

Wrestlemania 22 Edge v Mick Foley

Wrestlemania 13 Austin v Bret

Wrestlemania 14 Undertaker v Kane

Wrestlemania 32 Charlotte v Sasha Banks

Wrestlemania 17 Vince McMahon v Shane McMahon 

Wrestlemania 10 Razor Ramon v HBK

Wrestlemania 3 Hogan V Andre

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, neil is brill said:

You've got some great choices in this one, but you've used Sheamus twice.

Motherf-!

Time to readjust...

Right, I'm keeping Sheamus vs. Bryan, and instead of the WM29 Shield match I'll have...

The Shield vs. Kane & The New Age Outlaws, WrestleMania XXX

Not their finest hour but because I don't want to overload on singles matches it's my only other Shield option!

Speaking of repeats, @cobra_gordo - you've got three from X-Seven in your 10!

Archived