Pagan traditions on December 25th

TheKayfabeMonster

• Paid Members

I have some questions....

5 hours ago, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Over the centuries, it has been condemned by various Christian groups, such as Methodists, the Quakers, the Amish, Presbyterians, and Baptists.

Source for Methodists and Baptists please? Condemning celebration of Christmas in general, not just other stuff. 

The wife and I are in a weird position with Christmas. We're both devoted Christians, so the Christian side of things is really important to us. But  we've both come from homes where Christmas day was not fun times due to family reasons and that aspect of things doesn't really connect with us. We're not puritans or anything, it's just an odd feeling. 

We can have a chat about the truth over PM, if you'd like :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Duke said:

Source for Methodists and Baptists please? Condemning celebration of Christmas in general, not just other stuff. 

This is the site on the Worldly Wide Web where he copied and pasted it from, sure the answers will be on there.

https://www.exploregod.com/why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-celebrate-christmas

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is the site on the Worldly Wide Web where he copied and pasted it from, sure the answers will be on there.

https://www.exploregod.com/why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-celebrate-christmas

The more interactions I have with JWs, the more I dislike them. They just don't come across as very nice people.

Unlike the Mormons. Their book might be questionable, but they're a far more friendly bunch.

1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

The more interactions I have with JWs, the more I dislike them. They just don't come across as very nice people.

Unlike the Mormons. Their book might be questionable, but they're a far more friendly bunch.

Sorry you feel this way. I have always found them to be friendly, law abiding citizens, who are often maligned for being God's only-begotten Sons. 

• Paid Members

Where did the issue of abiding or not abiding by the law come from? What an odd thing to drop in. Almost as if you're expecting something about them breaking the law to be mentioned and have gone into defensive mode early.

4 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Where did the issue of abiding or not abiding by the law come from? What an odd thing to drop in. Almost as if you're expecting something about them breaking the law to be mentioned and have gone into defensive mode early.

I was already defending them against the accusation of coming across as "not very nice people".
Is it unfair to suggest that law abiding people are "nicer" than people engaging in criminal activity, on the whole? I have a feeling that my "defensive mode" will be going into overload around here, when all i wanted was a serious discussion on people's opinions on December 25th.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Is it unfair to suggest that law abiding people are "nicer" than people engaging in criminal activity, on the whole? 

No, but to move this topic off what ever point it started on (I'm not sure what that was to be honest) there is a difference between legal compliance and moral guidance. Law is set based on the ruling authoritys perception of society and fairness. Nice is dictated by social and broader positions of rights, wrongs, good and bad. When both are in tune it's a good assumption that people who are law abiding are nicer than those who are not, as the moral perception is in sync with the legal framework in which they operate. 

However it doesn't qualify small things, I know people who incredibly nice people within overall society but will watch illegal streams, and right cunts who keep the needle just under 70 on the motorway just to play it safe, let alone watch something which is illegal.

It also does not account for laws which are objectionable to social moral perception. For an extreme and silly example what if it was law that people should kick a bishop up the arse every time they saw them. The nice people are the ones breaking the law. As silly as this example is it hopefully demonstrates the point and brings to mind true examples from history. 

It of course also works the other way, for example if law says it's illegal to kick a bishop up the arse, but society as a whole don't see this as a crime or moraly wrong. In fact they might see the law as impeding them being able to do what is nice in society at that time. 

I'm not sure on the text, I want to say beyond good and evil but can't be sure,  but there was a theory that, very basically, society splits into two groups, those who see good and bad (have and have not) and those who see good and evil (charity and greed for example) and both keep the other in check within society. This even further muddies the nice topic. 

Then again there is a question on what makes someone nice or good, is it action, intentions or results? And in all three it is down to the persons internal assessment, and that can be different from person to person even if both judge on the same point of the three. 

9 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

You shouldn't judge the whole religion based on a few loons. I've known a few through various places of work and they've all been decent people with a good sense of humour.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, TheKayfabeMonster said:

Sorry you feel this way. I have always found them to be friendly, law abiding citizens, who are often maligned for being God's only-begotten Sons. 

You're mistranslating the Bible. Again, happy to have a serious conversation over PMs

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

You shouldn't judge the whole religion based on a few loons. I've known a few through various places of work and they've all been decent people with a good sense of humour.

Yeah absolutely this. My old boss was JW, as is my commuter buddy I chat to each morning. They're both good as gold.

TheKayfabeMonster on the other hand, not so much

• Paid Members

A few years ago, a young Jehovah's Witness lad joined our company. Really nice law-abiding kid. Wasn't able to celebrate Christmas with the rest of us- so he missed out on coming to the big Christmas social which they lay on for us every year. Always thought that was a real shame for him to miss out on stuff like that. Anyway, a while after moving on from our place, I heard that he had come out and his parents had effectively disowned him because of it. Them and the rest of the JW lot. So they sound like good people. It did make me smile to hear that he loves a bit of Christmas and gets to celebrate his birthdays now that he's put all that stuff behind him though.

I had a bad experience at work on Friday. All the staff were informed of their "Christmas" bonus & i was quite aggressively criticized by a few colleges for accepting mine.

Luckily the owner of the company pointed out that it was "A reward for work throughout the year, that just so happened to be at Christmas". It did make me feel incredibly uncomfortable being judged by people in this way & i could feel my face was burning up. The same people then accused me of being "Embarrassed to accept it", but i was actually embarrassed by the way they spoke to me in such a judgemental fashion. :(

Archived