Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

As we've seen with other kickboxers to make the transition into MMA, though, that really does mean fuck-all. It's a different discipline. Gokhan Saki's the most recent example, but I think I remember @wandshogun09Ā talking about how it also never really happened for Semmy Schilt, Peter Aerts, and Jerome LeBanner.Ā It'd be interesting to see if they do meet in the cage, because it may be that heĀ doesĀ make the transition as well as Adesanya has, but it's far from a given.

Actually, over time, even guys who held a win in MMA over another will mean fuck-all too. We've seen loads of guys with early defeats in their careers to Some Fuckers that nobody doubts they'd fuck up in return if said opponent was even signed to the UFC. Look at Joe Duffy - came to the UFC undefeated, everybody banging on about how he was the last guy to beat McGregor, and he never even got to rematch him, for obvious reasons. I don't imagine anyone believes that he would've beaten McGregor even if they had rematched, not now.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As we've seen with other kickboxers to make the transition into MMA, though, that really does mean fuck-all. It's a different discipline. Gokhan Saki's the most recent example, but I think I remember @wandshogun09Ā talking about how it also never really happened for Semmy Schilt, Peter Aerts, and Jerome LeBanner.Ā It'd be interesting to see if they do meet in the cage, because it may be that heĀ doesĀ make the transition as well as Adesanya has, but it's far from a given.

yeh, but its exciting to see these guys cross over, same as top BJJ guys. Fighters like Aerts and LeBanner are bad examplesĀ they never took MMA seriously, it was simply a case of taking crossover fights in Japan because there was a market for it. A lot of the top K-1 fighters around that time fought MMA at least once, and vice versa.

Schilt was an MMA fighter before he was a kickboxer, and a good one too. The fact that he went onĀ to become arguably the greatest K-1 heavyweight ever is something that isnt celebrated enough.Ā 

As for Duffy, his personality held him back. If he'd banged on about McGregor when he came into the UFC he may have got that fight or drummed up a rivalry, Conor was coming off the Dennis Siver win when Duffy came in, and Duffy was the most exciting prospect in the UK at the time. Duffy just distanced himself from it from the start. In hindsight it looks like a poor idea but at the time when Irish MMA was going McGregor-crazy that fight could have made a lot of sense and people wanted to see it.

Ā 

• Paid Members

I love a crossover. Whether it be Kickboxers, amateur wrestlers,Ā pure BJJ beastsĀ or whatever. Always interesting to see how they do when everything is mixed together. Even the ones who donā€™t do that well. Like I loved watching Fabio Maldonado for example. There was a brief period when he was a genuine undercard highlight for me on UFC shows. His body punching was something else and hisĀ fight with Igor Pokrajac is a real forgotten gem that Iā€™ll have to revisit soon. Heā€™s probably more remembered for that bad clobbering he took off Glover Teixeira though.

Iā€™ve gone off on a tangent but yeah, Iā€™ll be interested to see how Pereira does in MMA.Ā 

• Paid Members

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't like to see it happen - given how dominant grappling has tended to be in MMA overall, I always love it when a striker thrives in MMA.

Although, as to Duffy, I agree his personality stopped him from getting to a match with McGregor, but his run also showed that, even if he had done, he probably wouldn't have fared all that well against a prime McG, who seemed to be levelling up on a regular and startling basis at the time.

• Paid Members

Probably not, its quite sad how his UFC career petered out towards the end. I think the whole McGregor-mania situation would have overwhelmed Duffy, he didnt seem to fair well when the odds were stacked against him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is cool. The history of the UFC Lightweight title;

36-F38045-49-B7-4-DF2-996-F-48-FD1356-BF

I thought thereā€™d been more champions than that but when you think about it, the division was only a thing for a very short spell at the start of the 2000s then got fucked off and never made a full return until around 2006. Then you had nobface McGregor winning it then sitting out for an age. For such a great division, it hasnā€™t half been stop/start as far as the actual title goes. This obviously doesnā€™t include interim champs weā€™ve had like Gaethje,Ā Ferguson andĀ Poirier either.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I get that they have to introduce some level of unpredictability by challenging these MMA fighters to boxing matches, because we know what would happen if Bisping faced either of the Pauls in the Octagon, but I really would prefer to see them in MMA matches. If I have any interest at all in seeing the Paul brothers in combat sports, it's not to see competitive fights, it's to see them get hammered into the ground like a fucking tent peg.