Worst PPV match build ups

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

AKA the "did you just spill coffee on me" award.

Gotta love a great PPV build up. Angles, promos and incredible video packages. What about the opposite. A lazy angle, lack of effort or diminishing returns the longer it goes.

The coffee angle is an obvious one along with Edge and Booker T's shampoo advert.

Remember in 1998 the second half of the year featured loads of Russo special PPVs. Everything bar the main event booked at a moment's notice. The Headbangers hitting Road Dogg with the ghetto blaster (literal, not Bad News Brown's finisher) to set up a PPV match that week. So lazy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Jericho/Triple H build for WM18 was absolute dross. Jericho, despite being UD champ, is third fiddle to Stephanie and their fucking dog. Jericho's rivalry with HHH is second to the Steph/HHH marital break-up. Basically, Jericho's pretty much an after-thought.

Triple H has the potential to show up a bit in this Thread. The Scott Steiner feud which was basically them trying to outdo each other each week with Steiner eventually stripping the heir apparent of WWE to his undies on the go-home Raw was a real odd one. That Rumble Match was even worse. And with the week where they did that posedown, was it the writer's way of trying to remind people the World Bodybuilding Federation was a thing?

Remember that time when the babyface spent months - and months - lulling the heel into a false sense of security, as anticipation grew and grew for the moment he would catch the villain off guard in the middle of the ring to a thunderous pop?

Remember how the gallant fan favourite instead chose to heroically confront his evil foe by satellite link-up, and valiantly set fire to the buried remains of his target's dead sister while the diabolical fiend screamed, begged and cried for his sibling's tortured soul?

What a proud time to be a wrestling fan that was.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The Jericho/Triple H build for WM18 was absolute dross. Jericho, despite being UD champ, is third fiddle to Stephanie and their fucking dog. Jericho's rivalry with HHH is second to the Steph/HHH marital break-up. Basically, Jericho's pretty much an after-thought.

This is the absolute worst for me.

A matter of months earlier, back in November, Jericho had a triumphant moment pre-empting his true heel turn, when he snapped at The Rock and proclaimed, "I am not a joke".

The following month, he beats Steve Austin and The Rock, the two biggest stars of their generation, in one night to unify the WWF and WCW titles for the first time in history. At the subsequent PPVs, he defeats both of those men again.

Then the build to Wrestlemania cements that actually, no, in the eyes of the WWF, Chris Jericho is a joke, thank you very much, and gets thrown into the background for an interminable MCMAHON FAMILY DRAMA feud in which the top heel and the top title are reduced to props in a feud between Triple H and Mrs. Triple H.

Absolute shambles.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Remember that time when the babyface spent months - and months - lulling the heel into a false sense of security, as anticipation grew and grew for the moment he would catch the villain off guard in the middle of the ring to a thunderous pop?

Remember how the gallant fan favourite instead chose to heroically confront his evil foe by satellite link-up, and valiantly set fire to the buried remains of his target's dead sister while the diabolical fiend screamed, begged and cried for his sibling's tortured soul?

Which ones were those? Trying to remember but can't.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This is the absolute worst for me.

A matter of months earlier, back in November, Jericho had a triumphant moment pre-empting his true heel turn, when he snapped at The Rock and proclaimed, "I am not a joke".

The following month, he beats Steve Austin and The Rock, the two biggest stars of their generation, in one night to unify the WWF and WCW titles for the first time in history. At the subsequent PPVs, he defeats both of those men again.

Then the build to Wrestlemania cements that actually, no, in the eyes of the WWF, Chris Jericho is a joke, thank you very much, and gets thrown into the background for an interminable MCMAHON FAMILY DRAMA feud in which the top heel and the top title are reduced to props in a feud between Triple H and Mrs. Triple H.

Absolute shambles.

Pretty much. Whilst I do think that Trips' reputation for burying people was massively over-stated, it was this sort of thing, and the Booker T feud for WM19, that contributed to it.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Which ones were these? Racking my brains, but can't remember.

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Which ones were these? Racking my brains, but can't remember.

It's all the same match, if that helps.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Uncle Zeb said:

It's all the same match, if that helps.

If it's something to do with Bray Wyatt, then I probably wouldn't get it - I haven't been watching much wrestling the past few years.

• Paid Members

I never liked the Wrestlemania 2000 build up for the fatal four way main event, dragging Mick Foley out of retirement barely a month after his loss at the No Way Out PPV.

I accept they were scrambling like fuck after losing Stone Cold to injury, but should just have stuck with Rock v HHH instead of the 'McMahon in every corner' bollocks. Bad, bad, bad. 

Kurt Angle wanting to have sex with Sharmell was up there.  The WCW storyline where Booker T and Big T feuded over the rights to the letter T has to top it for me though.   I wonder if WCW tried to book Mr T as a special ref but couldn't get a deal together and did it anyway? 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, scotty_1120 said:

Kurt Angle wanting to have sex with Sharmell was up there.

I was fascinated by it in a completely macabre, grotesque way. It was utterly, apocalyptically shit and offensive. A complete car-crash between a Vauxhall Astra of racism and a 1985 Reliant Rialto of rape horror, and I could not tear my attention away. I think it might have been because Angle had a tendency to commit himself utterly to everything he did (like the "I'm not a fan of black people" promo), so I just wanted to see what the hell would happen next.

54 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I never liked the Wrestlemania 2000 build up for the fatal four way main event, dragging Mick Foley out of retirement barely a month after his loss at the No Way Out PPV.

I accept they were scrambling like fuck after losing Stone Cold to injury, but should just have stuck with Rock v HHH instead of the 'McMahon in every corner' bollocks. Bad, bad, bad. 

Wouldn't it have been just Triple H v Rock v Big Show because of their thing over Rock's feet hitting the floor before Show's? Didn't they have a match that was a no contest and they added both in? Which was the story before Foley was added.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

They got greedy. They did the four-way because they knew Mania would sell because Mania, and if they put off the singles match another month, they could draw a monster rate for a B ppv. They were right.

1 hour ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Wouldn't it have been just Triple H v Rock v Big Show because of their thing over Rock's feet hitting the floor before Show's? Didn't they have a match that was a no contest and they added both in? Which was the story before Foley was added.

Hunter won by pinfall on Show. Then Linda came out and announced the four way and Foleys return. Which fucked me off no end.

• Paid Members

Remember the build to the Booker T Undertaker match when they were teasing giving Booker the voodoo gimmick which ended up going to the Boogeyman?

Archived