Worst PPV match build ups

tiger_rick

16 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

This angle was so shit and forgettable that it took me googling 'wwf burned dead sister' to realise you were talking about Wyatt/Orton.

And it actually happened this year AND I actually googled that to make sure. That's just how utterly forgettable it was.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, PSF said:

Anything involving Rey Mysterio was generally shit. It was usually Rey Rey losing clean and going out for revenge. He was always booked as the biggest sore loser.

Oh that's a great shout. As good as he was in the ring he was part of some absolutely terrible storylines. The one that gets me is the feud with Eddie over Rey's son. Why would you agree to go on international TV and say that your son isn't really yours but the product of your mate having an affair with some lass. It didn't make me feel bad for Rey. It didn't make me want to see Eddie get a kicking. It just made me feel a bit uncomfortable. It's a shame too because they always had great matches with each other.

15 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

that reign definitely soured lots of people on Rey. he was normally one of the most over not-quite-main-event guys leading into it and then they shat out the most tasteless reign in their history and never quite reached that level again.

somehow even worse in my book than the "Eddie's in hell" bullshit was the build to the Rumble win itself. Rey coming in at #1, winning the whole thing and giving one or two light nods to Eddie at the end with a couple of chest bumps and a 'viva la raza' sounds brilliant but they just went about it in the most horribly cynical and unsubtle way to do something that really should've hit the right spot. I mean he draws the Rumble number and then shakes his fist while looking up at the sky and goes "ohh, Eddie!" in a voice like its a sitcom and Eddie is the name of a dog who just pissed on the kitchen floor. They fucking bludgeoned the point home so hard that it tasted like shit before we even got into the match. Shittest Rumble ever imo.

I agree with all of this. I remember someone, possibly on here, wrote a really good parody report of it at the time with various other wrestlers being helped out by the ghosts of their friends.

Rey was an odd choice to get the sympathy push too, mainly because they'd JUST had the above feud, Batista had been portrayed as Eddie's best mate on screen and Chavo was still floating around. It was even weirder when we were supposed to hate Chavo and Vickie after they turned on Rey for exploiting Eddie's death.

I'm a bit surprised Flair vs Foley in 2006 hasn't been mentioned yet. "Worked shoot" feuds are usually shite but this was entirely based on comments made in books that were released years before. It must've been really confusing for a casual fan. I'd argue that the face/heel dynamic was backwards there as well. All Foley said was that Flair was a great wrestler but not a great booker, which Flair himself even acknowledges is true. Flair just shit on Foley's whole career in a childish "he insulted me so I'm insulting him back" kind of way.

On 01/08/2017 at 3:46 PM, tiger_rick said:

AKA the "did you just spill coffee on me" award.

Remember in 1998 the second half of the year featured loads of Russo special PPVs. Everything bar the main event booked at a moment's notice. The Headbangers hitting Road Dogg with the ghetto blaster (literal, not Bad News Brown's finisher) to set up a PPV match that week. So lazy.

To be fair, the Outlaws were meant to be facing Southern Justice until Mark Canterbury got injured, so the Headbangers came in at short notice.

• Paid Members

Rey Mysterio getting the Eddie push started a running joke of "poor Chavo" with me, a mate, and my ex, which peaked with Chavo Guerrero going on TV to talk about how he'd trust Chris Benoit with his kids.

Eddie Guerrero dies, so they give a big push to the first Mexican they can find, and give Eddie's widow a ten year run as one of the top heels in the company, while Chavo is left to receive ominous texts and dress up in an eagle suit for Jack Swagger.

Archived