Worst PPV match build ups

tiger_rick

5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Remember that time when the babyface spent months - and months - lulling the heel into a false sense of security, as anticipation grew and grew for the moment he would catch the villain off guard in the middle of the ring to a thunderous pop?

Remember how the gallant fan favourite instead chose to heroically confront his evil foe by satellite link-up, and valiantly set fire to the buried remains of his target's dead sister while the diabolical fiend screamed, begged and cried for his sibling's tortured soul?

What a proud time to be a wrestling fan that was.

This angle was so shit and forgettable that it took me googling 'wwf burned dead sister' to realise you were talking about Wyatt/Orton.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Hunter won by pinfall on Show. Then Linda came out and announced the four way and Foleys return. Which fucked me off no end.

This is correct, on the go-home Raw Triple H was forced to defend the title in the Triple Threat Match advertised at Wrestlemania. Triple H agreed to the match on the condition that if he won, it's one and done, there would be no rematch at Wrestlemania. That's when Linda added Foley.

5 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Triple H has the potential to show up a bit in this Thread. The Scott Steiner feud which was basically them trying to outdo each other each week with Steiner eventually stripping the heir apparent of WWE to his undies on the go-home Raw was a real odd one. That Rumble Match was even worse. And with the week where they did that posedown, was it the writer's way of trying to remind people the World Bodybuilding Federation was a thing?

I remember liking this build... it felt very old school (Trips was going through his Flair phase) after years of people running each other over and hitting each other with sledgehammers. I'm pretty I remember it getting over. Then, the match happened. 

5 hours ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

Triple H has the potential to show up a bit in this Thread. The Scott Steiner feud which was basically them trying to outdo each other each week with Steiner eventually stripping the heir apparent of WWE to his undies on the go-home Raw was a real odd one. That Rumble Match was even worse. And with the week where they did that posedown, was it the writer's way of trying to remind people the World Bodybuilding Federation was a thing?

I remember liking this build... it felt very old school (Trips was going through his Flair phase) after years of people running each other over and hitting each other with sledgehammers. I'm pretty I remember it getting over. Then, the match happened. 

Build up to Austin vs Hall  (shitty fake cinder block smashing the wrong knee, Austin shooting Hall & Nash with a netgun) for Mania 18 was rotten.

Build for Hogan/Rock was needlessly OTT as well (Hogan rams Rock's ambulance with a truck seemingly killing him, Rock's back a week later with sore ribs) but the match itself and crowd reaction saved it in fairness.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

6 hours ago, scotty_1120 said:

Kurt Angle wanting to have sex with Sharmell was up there.  

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I was fascinated by it in a completely macabre, grotesque way. It was utterly, apocalyptically shit and offensive. A complete car-crash between a Vauxhall Astra of racism and a 1985 Reliant Rialto of rape horror, and I could not tear my attention away. I think it might have been because Angle had a tendency to commit himself utterly to everything he did (like the "I'm not a fan of black people" promo), so I just wanted to see what the hell would happen next.

kurt-angle-jason-jordan-reveal.png

• Paid Members

People frequently mention the Kane/Jericho coffee thing and while that bit was certainly shit, the rest of the fued was actually quite good and both PPV matches that came out of it were enjoyable.

I don't think anything is worse than the Triple H/Jericho fued mentioned. What makes it all the more terrible is that this was Triple H's big comeback a storyline after his injury and massive return pop at MSG. A

hated one of mine is the IC ladder match build for Wrestlemania 31. One of the show closing angles was Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose calling Daniel Bryan a turd. Geniunely one of the most mind boggling terrible moments on WWE TV I've ever seen.

The build to Rock/Austin at WM15 was also fucking shocking. Especially as the main event scene was booked so incredibly brilliant at that time. Most of it was based around the Big Show and who's side he was on. Rock and Austin barely had any reaction with each other and Vince was busy with the Undertaker stalking his family storyline. Luckily they came up with the beer bath angle the week before the big show to remind everyone it was coming up.

The latter-day 'Mania build-ups where people just point at the sign and that's deemed enough.

I actually liked the Steiner/HHH stuff, the pre-match video package from the Rumble makes it look like a lot of fun.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Rey Rey, the build to almost all of his PPV matches around his World Championship reign were appalling. Particularly remember the build to No Way Out/Mania which had Randy Orton driving Eddie Guerrero's car through a stage and saying "Eddie's in hell". This was about 4 months after Guerrero had died, so that was cracking. 

Fast forward a few months and Rey prepares for his PPV title defence against JBL by losing clean to Kane and the Great Khali on consecutive weeks. Then proceeds to beat JBL at the PPV, making both of them look like dorks. 

Not for any sort of tasteless content in the build, but just lack of effort- I'm pretty sure the entirety of the Lesnar/Taker WM30 build was Undertaker stabbing Lesnar with a pen and giving him a chokeslam.

However, the half-assed nature of the build made the Streak break even more shocking IMO. I remember thinking, the way it was built, that they hadn't really thought things through and didn't have plans for Taker and Lesnar at Mania, so decided to throw them back together as familiar foes in a rush job.

22 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Speaking of Rey Rey, the build to almost all of his PPV matches around his World Championship reign were appalling. Particularly remember the build to No Way Out/Mania which had Randy Orton driving Eddie Guerrero's car through a stage and saying "Eddie's in hell". This was about 4 months after Guerrero had died, so that was cracking.

The infamous Randy Orton Lowrider Incident actually took place two WEEKS after Eddie died (it was Orton trying to blow up The Undertaker, or something). But yeah it was just as crass with the "he's in hell" stuff a few months later.

• Paid Members

Outside of Daniel Bryan showing legit magic, anything Bray Wyatt.

Bret v Vince was a complete and utter shit show. It started out ok, with Vince low blowing Bret at the end of his first night back, but it got so far removed from a real situation that the rubbish too long match was a fitting end to one of the biggest let downs since the Invasion.

38 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Fast forward a few months and Rey prepares for his PPV title defence against JBL by losing clean to Kane and the Great Khali on consecutive weeks. Then proceeds to beat JBL at the PPV, making both of them look like dorks. 

that reign definitely soured lots of people on Rey. he was normally one of the most over not-quite-main-event guys leading into it and then they shat out the most tasteless reign in their history and never quite reached that level again.

somehow even worse in my book than the "Eddie's in hell" bullshit was the build to the Rumble win itself. Rey coming in at #1, winning the whole thing and giving one or two light nods to Eddie at the end with a couple of chest bumps and a 'viva la raza' sounds brilliant but they just went about it in the most horribly cynical and unsubtle way to do something that really should've hit the right spot. I mean he draws the Rumble number and then shakes his fist while looking up at the sky and goes "ohh, Eddie!" in a voice like its a sitcom and Eddie is the name of a dog who just pissed on the kitchen floor. They fucking bludgeoned the point home so hard that it tasted like shit before we even got into the match. Shittest Rumble ever imo.

Must have been doubly awkward at that time as Eddie and Rey apparently weren't even THAT close

Archived