Childhood Misconceptions/Rumours/Urban Legends/Bullshit

BomberPat

6 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I was convinced for years that Papa Shango had a line on the Slam Jam single that I avoided listening to the song for a long time (due to my childhood fear of that whole gimmick), wan't until a couple of years back that I found out it wasn't the case

At least you overcame your fear. Bringing Sonic 2 up again - I still to this day lose my bottle on sight of the Giant Robotnik in Death Egg Zone.

Other sundry nonsense lies from childhood:

1. Due to a VCR recording of Summerslam 1993 that cut out, I insisted to my brother for years that Marty Jannetty (my favourite) had defeated Ludvig Borga at Summerslam 1993.

2. Conversely, and due to another incomplete VCR recording, I told my brother for years that Sparky Plugg eliminated Shawn Michaels (his favourite) in Royal Rumble 1994.

Silver Vision proved me to be a liar in due course.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember at the beginning of my fandom believing anyone could win the WWF title of they were big and muscly enough. This caused me to think people like Perry Saturn would eventually get their turn. I think it was the bizzare booking on smack down 2 that did that.

I also thought Heat was a new show when it came to c4 and as it got more popular we would see more stars eventually overtaking Raw. This came from that late 2000 stint where they Angle amd Triple H wrestle plus tables matches and title defences regularly

• Paid Members

My DadĀ stillĀ maintains that he saw Hulk Hogan Wrestle in the Cwm Social Club back in the early 70's

The South Wales valleys were a hotbed, no doubt.Ā 

Ā 

Also, not really a childhood thing, but a few years ago, a mentalist in work who discovered that I was a wrestling fan, told me that his Brother, (who was born and raised in Cardiff) used to go to school with the Undertaker. Ā 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, JNLister said:

Here's the other two I have. I got the one on the right a long time before the pink one and the one from the previous photo, so it may have been released earlier. I believe there was at least one more with a black cover. Also, I recall the pink one has no commentary for some reason.

tape.jpg

thats the green one i had. So im assuming the names there are the 'real guys'? Kevin Sullivan, Bob Orton etc?

When we first got Sky, my Brother was obsessed with the Ultimate Warrior, he was like Dougal talking about the Beast of Craggy Island.Ā Ā  In the run up to getting our Sky gear installed he insisted that Warrior was so dangerous, they had to lock him in a cage before his matches.Ā Ā Ā Ā 

Ā 

I was convinced the mystery man on The Million Dollar Team at Survivor Series 1990 would be the Battlecat, a masked lower mid card guy who made his debut at the time/.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I also thought that the first UK Rampage tour was going to be WWF guys wrestling UK guys in some kind of international competition.

Ā 

My mate at school reckonedĀ Randy Savage was going toĀ start bringing a Mongoose to the ring to combat Jake the Snake Roberts cobra.Ā Ā  Ā Ā 

3 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

My DadĀ stillĀ maintains that he saw Hulk Hogan Wrestle in the Cwm Social Club back in the early 70's

The South Wales valleys were a hotbed, no doubt.Ā 

Ā 

Also, not really a childhood thing, but a few years ago, a mentalist in work who discovered that I was a wrestling fan, told me that his Brother, (who was born and raised in Cardiff) used to go to school with the Undertaker. Ā 

My gran does this all the time, it doesn't matter who or from what era she claims she saw them at the local swimming baths.

Ā 

most recently I remember it was Scott Steiner during one of his TNA runs.

Ā 

in our school I remember the main bullshit myth being that Kane was the ultimate warrior

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Pinc said:

There was no better way of proving you were a gullible moron in school than saying you thought the Undertaker had always been the same fella. Would be like saying you thought OJ was innocent now.

There was a bit more shades of grey when it came to whether Undertaker and Kane were the same bloke. Yeah Kane didn't have any tattoos on his arms and they regularly appeared on screen together, but Taker might've been wearing sleaves and they could've used mirrors.

Probably about five years ago, I had a conversation in the pub with a bloke who would have been coming up to 40 at the time still absolutely adamant that the bloke playing Kane now wasn't the original.

15 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Another one: when I started watching the WWF in late 1991, there were loads of jobber squash matches. I don't know why I thought this, but I got it into my head somehow that the jobbers were rookies who were trying out for a contract, and that, if they won, they'd get to be regulars on the roster.

My suspicions of this were sort of confirmed when I saw Jim Powers, whom I'd only seen previously in jobber matches, suddenly get a graphic of his own on All-American Wrestling announcing his match against Skinner; I thought he must've finally "qualified" and thus made it to the main roster.

I thought the same thing. I thought this was why The Kid got his contract after a surprise win against Razor Ramon. It was years later that I found out that he had numerous other matches that he got squashed in over the previous 2 weeks including losing to Doink.

I believed for a while that Liger (while in early 90s WCW) was almost like a real super hero, or something along those lines. Sadly I still almost view him as one. I think the whole body covering outfit gave me the impression and also his matches from that time have aged so well. Similarly with Muta, I believed that he was a scary Japanese guy with powers of spitting mist that would burn your eyes. He was like Papa Shango, only Japanese, and talented.

Bomber, a guy at work (he is 27 but only watches shoot interviews now) asked me about Kane and what I thought and I said that I would be my bollock on it being the same guy.

• Paid Members
On 2017-6-29 at 10:55 AM, BomberPat said:

stuff

I'd stopped watching wrestling for a bit when he debuted, but my mates brother and his mates(who were about 13 at the time) were convinced that Kane was the guy who played the Fake Undertaker in that 'Taker vs Taker match, and thats why they put him in a mask.

Ā 

The other one was that Rikishi was Yokozuna. They had been told by a "guy who works at WWF"Ā that they had to rename him as he lost so much weight, but kept him in "that big nappy" thing so people would still recognise him...

• Paid Members

I was adamant that Rowdy Roddy Pipper was Scottish. Sure, he didnt have an accent, but his Hasbro figure had a kilt, he would come down to the "Scottish national anthem" and could play the bagpipes. I assumed he lost his accent by wrestling in the WWF.

I was also convinced at Summerslam 92 that the British Bulldog was going to beat Bret Hart whether he wanted to, or not. But that's another story

• Paid Members

In fairness, I had to break it to an actual professional wrestler last year that Roddy Piper isn't Scottish.

On a similar note, not long after I had just got my last girlfriend into wrestling, we sat down to watch the WWE Ricky Steamboat DVD. Just as I was explaining to my girlfriend that Steamboat was Hawaiian, his voiceover says, "I was born in West Point, New York".

Archived