Childhood Misconceptions/Rumours/Urban Legends/Bullshit

BomberPat

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

I often wondered if Death Row in AWA were doing some form of community service or trying to get their sentences commuted to life and that's why they were allowed out to wrestle.

Tremendous!

Trying to actually contextualise wrestling gimmicks is brilliant. Especially around the time I first really remember getting into it, mid-90s WWF, when every wrestler seemed to have a day job. Presumably the WWF didn't pay enough to make ends meet in those days.

There's a bit on an episode of Breaking Ground where Tyler Breeze explains that, whatever your character is, you need to always know their motivation, and understand why they're wrestling - in his own case, because he's a narcissist, and wants thousands of people looking at him. I think about that a lot whenever I consider '90s WWF gimmicks.

"He's an evil tax man! It's great, because people hate tax collectors!"
"....but why is he a pro-wrestler?"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A bizarre one: I thought Ric Flair was Andre the Giant, simply because a mate told me he was. I'd never seen Andre at the time, and for some reason Flair looked like his name should be Andre. That he wasn't a giant made me think it was supposed to be some sort of bombastic claim to being great and amazing.

The state of it.

This is genuinely fantastic.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A bizarre one: I thought Ric Flair was Andre the Giant, simply because a mate told me he was. I'd never seen Andre at the time, and for some reason Flair looked like his name should be Andre. That he wasn't a giant made me think it was supposed to be some sort of bombastic claim to being great and amazing.

The state of it.

Believe it or not, I was very disappointed by how small Andre the Giant was when I finally saw him wrestle.

My first exposure of him was the NES Wrestlemania game, so I'm not sure what I expected tbh. But the first match of his I ever saw was the Steel Cage match against Hogan on the 'Real American' VHS which my mum picked up from Woolworths' bargain bin.

As a youngster I was convinced President Jack Tunney was the big cheese at WWF, so when the Montreal Screwjob kicked off I was convinced for three months that Vince McMahon was acting above his station saying he was the owner. I was expecting Tunney to come down and knock him clean out each week.

There was no better way of proving you were a gullible moron in school than saying you thought the Undertaker had always been the same fella. Would be like saying you thought OJ was innocent now.

There was a bit more shades of grey when it came to whether Undertaker and Kane were the same bloke. Yeah Kane didn't have any tattoos on his arms and they regularly appeared on screen together, but Taker might've been wearing sleaves and they could've used mirrors.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, JNLister said:

Chances are your cynicism was justified!

It was probably this, which is made up of clips from Mid Atlantic TV. "Brett Hart" is actually Barry Horowitz. He wasn't intended as an imposter, rather he started out as Barry Hart and then when he got to Mid-Atlantic changed to avoid confusion with Gary Hart. The real Bret Hart wasn't really known in the US at that point.

IMG_20170629_141333028.jpg

well that's blown my mind.

That's the tapes Lister, that isn't the one i had though, but im fairly certain it was green.

I remember thinking it wasn't Bret Hart  at the tine but later thinking it must have when my wrestling knowledge started branching out and i realised there was more to it than what i saw on telly. Id like to see the actual listing on the tape i had now, i probably only ever watched it once then went back to my Wrestlemania 4 tape. 

• Paid Members

^^^^ I've got two of those tapes somewhere in my loft full of magazines, Hasbros, Bend Ems etc but damned if I could tell you what's on them.

My favourite memory of being a moronic child in regards to wrestling is the version of Lex' big day aboard the Intrepid which I got told at youth club. Which was "Lex Luger came out of the sky in a helicopter, powerslammed Yokozuna, pinned him and is the champion."

I was so excited, the first thing I did when I got home was update Luger's "titles held" in my sticker album with a blue felt tip. Before resuming my nightly quest to learn how to masturbate, obviously.

• Paid Members

Another one: when I started watching the WWF in late 1991, there were loads of jobber squash matches. I don't know why I thought this, but I got it into my head somehow that the jobbers were rookies who were trying out for a contract, and that, if they won, they'd get to be regulars on the roster.

My suspicions of this were sort of confirmed when I saw Jim Powers, whom I'd only seen previously in jobber matches, suddenly get a graphic of his own on All-American Wrestling announcing his match against Skinner; I thought he must've finally "qualified" and thus made it to the main roster.

My mates dad insisted that the black stuff Papa Shango made come out of Ultimate Warrior's head could be bought in a well known Glasgow joke shop called Tam Sheperd's. Whereas 8 year old me was convinced it was actual voodoo. I think we were both wrong to be honest.

Two odd ones from my childhood:

1. I was convinced as a child that Ric Flair's WWF theme was the same as Winged Fortress Zone's music in Sonic 2. Both epic but not the case.

2. The kids in the street used to "wrestle" in the back gardens (as far from backyard hard-core wrestling as you can imagine, we were about 8 years old) and we were either convinced or had a rule that to allow a tag team partner to enter the "ring" for a double team move you had to "double tag" - which was to essentially high five your partner in both palms.

I was convinced for years that Papa Shango had a line on the Slam Jam single that I avoided listening to the song for a long time (due to my childhood fear of that whole gimmick), wan't until a couple of years back that I found out it wasn't the case

On a side note, a video I watched on Facebook earlier in the week dispelled another childhood memory involving Shango. I always remembered watching a match between him and Bret that aired on Mania where Shango walked to the ring as a promo of him was playing on the video wall burning an effigy of Bret. Turns out the match was on Superstars about a week or so before King of the Ring, the promo kicked off the show with the ring entrance happening straight after and the effigy was actually an 8x10 photo held over a bonfire

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

well that's blown my mind.

That's the tapes Lister, that isn't the one i had though, but im fairly certain it was green.

I remember thinking it wasn't Bret Hart  at the tine but later thinking it must have when my wrestling knowledge started branching out and i realised there was more to it than what i saw on telly. Id like to see the actual listing on the tape i had now, i probably only ever watched it once then went back to my Wrestlemania 4 tape. 

Here's the other two I have. I got the one on the right a long time before the pink one and the one from the previous photo, so it may have been released earlier. I believe there was at least one more with a black cover. Also, I recall the pink one has no commentary for some reason.

tape.jpg

Archived